Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2019, 03:45 PM

7,450 posts, read 7,060,734 times

Advertisements

70’ today...Hard to believe. Spring is got to be right around the corner.

My lawn is craving Milorganite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 06:28 AM

6,348 posts, read 4,101,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post

I stocked up on a bunch last week since Home Depot just received a pallet full and it’s usually out of stock by early summer.

The first application should be around Memorial Day, correct?

Old 02-09-2019, 12:02 PM

Great to hear.

Memorial Day generally works well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
I stocked up on a bunch last week since Home Depot just received a pallet full and it’s usually out of stock by early summer.

The first application should be around Memorial Day, correct?

Old 02-10-2019, 04:31 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,023,495 times
Quote:

I know what you mean re: spring is right around the corner. Spring comes super early here (Phoenix), like mid Feb. If I wanted to, I could probably coax my tif lawn out of dormancy by fertilizing it and watering it more than I have been (which is minimally).

I've tried Milorganite on my lawn two seasons. It never gave me a huge WOW result, so I'll say I'm neutral on the product. BTW, I applied it heavily, too. Bermuda grass is notorious for being a heavy feeder.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:38 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,309,372 times
Quote:
Anyone ever used this product?
I would not touch it with the 6 ft pole.
It is an “upcycled” city sewage.
They legally can do it as it is processed by high heat to kill bacteria and such - so they say it is “safe”

However, what happened to toxic arsenic, lead, cadmium, etc, etc, unaffected byproducts of chemotherapy drugs, radioactive therapy used to treat people for cancer?
People throw all kinds of things into their toilets: anybody washed their painting brushes at least once?

Unless you have a huge acreage and absolutely desperate for it- still- you better off getting leaves, grass clippings from non- chemical lawn neighbors for free and composting and topping up your soil with the results- much less undesirables on your property. Once it is there- it is forever practically!
Every hard rain drop or a gust of wind over small bare patches will raise the bad staff into the air which your family, your pets breathe. Yes, it is small amounts, but it adds up...

There are no tests developed ( intentionally, I think - the lesson from a tobacco industry) so you do not know what could be there.
If you suspect something- it may cost you min $300-400 per element tested in a very specialized lab, which you may not even find.

So the question is: why spend money on something like that. I applaud they try to do something- let them use this stuff in destroyed by mining soils to help some regeneration of the already poisoned soils, but why entice the homeowners to spread it where we live and our children play?

Old 02-12-2019, 06:04 PM

50 posts, read 53,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
I would not touch it with the 6 ft pole.
It is an “upcycled” city sewage.
They legally can do it as it is processed by high heat to kill bacteria and such - so they say it is “safe”

However, what happened to toxic arsenic, lead, cadmium, etc, etc, unaffected byproducts of chemotherapy drugs, radioactive therapy used to treat people for cancer?
People throw all kinds of things into their toilets: anybody washed their painting brushes at least once?

Unless you have a huge acreage and absolutely desperate for it- still- you better off getting leaves, grass clippings from non- chemical lawn neighbors for free and composting and topping up your soil with the results- much less undesirables on your property. Once it is there- it is forever practically!
Every hard rain drop or a gust of wind over small bare patches will raise the bad staff into the air which your family, your pets breathe. Yes, it is small amounts, but it adds up...

There are no tests developed ( intentionally, I think - the lesson from a tobacco industry) so you do not know what could be there.
If you suspect something- it may cost you min $300-400 per element tested in a very specialized lab, which you may not even find.

So the question is: why spend money on something like that. I applaud they try to do something- let them use this stuff in destroyed by mining soils to help some regeneration of the already poisoned soils, but why entice the homeowners to spread it where we live and our children play?

Exactly!

Not to mention all the medicines that people throw in the toilet, as well as all the illegal drugs like cocaine, heroin, meth, etc...

There's NO WAY I would EVER take the chance and put that crap in my yard or garden. But then again, we have wild herbs that grow in our yard, and I refuse to spray, cause they are so helpful.

If you want good fertilizer, use grass fed cow or horse manure mixed with leaves and vegetable matter, and compost it yourself; then make a tea out of it. Best thing ever!!! <3

Old 02-12-2019, 07:20 PM

Milorganite is an amazing product which explains why every summer demand exceeds supply.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:12 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u7d-UGE90mM

Old 03-14-2019, 04:07 PM

50,121 posts, read 63,519,992 times
So, I went to an HD talk about Milorganite. I am more open to using it than I was, but that still isn’t really open to using it.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:43 AM

6,348 posts, read 4,101,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo Kitty View Post

Exactly!

Not to mention all the medicines that people throw in the toilet, as well as all the illegal drugs like cocaine, heroin, meth, etc...

There's NO WAY I would EVER take the chance and put that crap in my yard or garden. But then again, we have wild herbs that grow in our yard, and I refuse to spray, cause they are so helpful.

If you want good fertilizer, use grass fed cow or horse manure mixed with leaves and vegetable matter, and compost it yourself; then make a tea out of it. Best thing ever!!! <3
It’s inconceivable that some are now concerned using an organic fertilizer because of what other humans have consumed or have tossed down the toilet?
All sewer water is treated in a waste water plant and does not have the consistency once all of the waste water has been treated. As far as drugs or foreign harmful substances in the raw sewage, it must be a minuscule amount since it’s a small (or tiny) percentage of the population, it gets diluted with water when flushed (/household bath and sink water) and get treated at a waste water plant.

I think this is Far Safer than the lawn chemical fertilizers that are sold in mass quantities from big box stores and those applied by commercial lawn services.

I guess many of us have the ability to overthink things and to try to predict what is most dangerous in our environment today without ever knowing for certain what the largest dangers really are.
Perhaps it’s the radiation fro WiFi that’s causing cancer but again, we can only guess and have our own individual opinions as to what’s dangerous and what’s safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden