U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 09:07 AM

1,775 posts, read 2,375,349 times

Advertisements

What shortage?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 01:50 PM

9,450 posts, read 10,184,071 times
Still not available here, but we still have snow piles on many lawns

Old 03-20-2019, 04:19 PM

Great idea! . Although keep in mind just because you donít see it on the shelf doesnít mean they had donít have it in stock.

Went to one of my local Home Depot stores today based on the website indicating they had 103 bags in stock. Get to the store and look around and itís nowhere to be found.

Here I asked one of the guys working in outside garden and he mentioned it was in one of the racks up above so they went ahead and brought it down as I told the guy there would be a lot of demand in the coming week or two.

Checked about four or five stores in my area and theyíre all showing about 100 to 150 bags in stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
When I see it at Lowes or Home Depot, I buy twice the amount I need since it always sells out before mid summer, start least as far as I have seen! Better you have more since it doesnít go bad.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:01 PM

1,485 posts, read 951,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
I'm moving into a new build in August. I hope it doesn't need a massive lawn reno. But I know Milo is safe to put down in August anyway.
New build as in an undeveloped lawn? If so, inquire as to whether you can have someone bring in good soil. In the leveling of the yard after construction, often the nutrient-rich topsoil is scraped and hauled away.

Getting a couple of inches of nutrient-rich, quality topsoil down before you sod or seed will make a huge difference down the road in many/most areas of the country.

Old 03-21-2019, 04:18 AM

Very good point.

However if it is new construction typically they won’t allow any changes u til after settlement. If it is an existing home, 2019 Ultimate Lawn Care Program For The Best Lawn On The Block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
New build as in an undeveloped lawn? If so, inquire as to whether you can have someone bring in good soil. In the leveling of the yard after construction, often the nutrient-rich topsoil is scraped and hauled away.

Getting a couple of inches of nutrient-rich, quality topsoil down before you sod or seed will make a huge difference down the road in many/most areas of the country.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:59 PM

1,485 posts, read 951,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Very good point.

However if it is new construction typically they won’t allow any changes u til after settlement. If it is an existing home, 2019 Ultimate Lawn Care Program For The Best Lawn On The Block.
It varies, builder by builder, even purchase by purchase from a builder (we ran into that).

For our build - eight years ago -

1) trees and shrubs and other landscaping was to be done (on our dime);
2) the builder's sub contractor was to put in the irrigation;
3) the builder's sub contractor (same one) was to sod;

We were told to have additional landscaping and our trees/shrubs in place within two weeks after close. We did.

Irrigation went in within a month (lots of watering of trees and shrubs by hand).

Sod actually took five months, due to the builder's sub contractor for sod dragging his feet.

By the time his sub got his ducks in a row, the builder was trying hard to get it all behind him. But in talking with others in our division, having someone bring in topsoil after the builder levels was commonly done in the landscaping phase between close and irrigation installation along with trees/shrubs/rock/landscaping. Maybe it is a regional thing.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:06 PM

Exactly, I would much prefer to do it myself than have the builder involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
It varies, builder by builder, even purchase by purchase from a builder (we ran into that).

For our build - eight years ago -

1) trees and shrubs and other landscaping was to be done (on our dime);
2) the builder's sub contractor was to put in the irrigation;
3) the builder's sub contractor (same one) was to sod;

We were told to have additional landscaping and our trees/shrubs in place within two weeks after close. We did.

Irrigation went in within a month (lots of watering of trees and shrubs by hand).

Sod actually took five months, due to the builder's sub contractor for sod dragging his feet.

By the time his sub got his ducks in a row, the builder was trying hard to get it all behind him. But in talking with others in our division, having someone bring in topsoil after the builder levels was commonly done in the landscaping phase between close and irrigation installation along with trees/shrubs/rock/landscaping. Maybe it is a regional thing.

Old 03-26-2019, 06:57 AM

1 posts, read 115 times
Default Ideal EQ Natural Lawn Fertilizer at Menards

Anyone ever use this - Ideal EQ Natural Lawn Fertilizer at Menards? It has 4-3-0 and sells for about $10 a bag (2500 sf/bag). Thought the Ideal EQ Natural Lawn Fertilizer may be a good alternative for the 4th of July light feeding. I was able to get 9 bags of Milorganite at Walmart this week in Omaha for $11 per bag. As far as crabgrass, I think I will drop Scotts w/Halts along the street boulevard and in between my lawn and the neighbors. He has a serious crabgrass problem that leaks into my yard.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:56 AM

I have tried many other organic fertilizers as alternatives to synthetics and nothing has cloae to Milorganite. Just put an application down this past weekend, next one will follow over Memorial Day weekend next one will fall over July 4th and yet another application over Labor Day.

Amazing stuff.

Old 03-26-2019, 01:13 PM

9,450 posts, read 10,184,071 times
Finally got some yesterday. It's still early in the season, but the pallet they got in was nearly empty. I picked up 12 bags, and there were only 2-3 left on the pallet when I got done picking.

I only need 4 bags per application. So one spring, one summer and one fall. Sometimes I do a bonus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or