Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2019, 06:34 PM

7,449 posts, read 7,057,765 times

Advertisements

Do you have any Ace Hardware in your area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
I've used all my stockpile of milorganite from last yr except one bag and can't find any locally. For those of you who can't find the milorganite, what is your second choice product?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 12:36 PM

1,192 posts, read 2,470,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Do you have any Ace Hardware in your area?
Lowes finally received a new shipment . When I was looking around, I saw something called Procare. One of the reviewers said it was just a generic milorganite. I don't really know enough about it to say if that's true or not. The numbers on the bag are a little different, so it doesn't seem to be as potent as milorganite.
Thanks again

Old 07-04-2019, 08:26 AM

Wouldn’t quite call it Milorganite generic, but there are increasing number of manufacturers wanting to jump on the band wagon. Believe Procare has less iron.

Came across this one as well.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sunniland-2...0-0-0/3578136#

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
Lowes finally received a new shipment . When I was looking around, I saw something called Procare. One of the reviewers said it was just a generic milorganite. I don't really know enough about it to say if that's true or not. The numbers on the bag are a little different, so it doesn't seem to be as potent as milorganite.
Thanks again

Old 07-11-2019, 04:48 AM

Was at two different HDs yesterday and both were out of Milorganite.

Old 07-11-2019, 05:01 AM

6,348 posts, read 4,099,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Was at two different HDs yesterday and both were out of Milorganite.

This happens every summer! I just buy all that I need for the year in the spring as soon as HD or Lowe’s receives their shipment. The stuff does not go bad.

Old 07-11-2019, 05:31 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,246,928 times
I love Milorganite and still have some of the extra bags I bought in the spring. It's finally gotten to the normal summer hot temps just a week or so ago and I'll likely be watering for the first time though I typically need to in June.

Most sources say not to fertilize in mid summer but because Milorganite is so mild, do you guys have any qualms using it this time of year? Do you take any more care to water it in or put it on before rain is forecast?

Old 07-14-2019, 03:48 PM

Excellent suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
This happens every summer! I just buy all that I need for the year in the spring as soon as HD or Lowe’s receives their shipment. The stuff does not go bad.

Old 07-14-2019, 05:37 PM

2,567 posts, read 2,048,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I love Milorganite and still have some of the extra bags I bought in the spring. It's finally gotten to the normal summer hot temps just a week or so ago and I'll likely be watering for the first time though I typically need to in June.

Most sources say not to fertilize in mid summer but because Milorganite is so mild, do you guys have any qualms using it this time of year? Do you take any more care to water it in or put it on before rain is forecast?
If you are irrigating all summer long, you can keep applying it. Many people do.

If you are letting the lawn go dormant in the hot months and do not get much rain, it will just take longer to break down but will eventually get to the roots when rains hit unless the soil gets super hard and the next rains
Hit hard enough to wash away.

But there is no issue with putting it down on the hit months. Better to water in, otherwise will slowly break down and eventually get to the roots.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:13 PM

No problem with putting down Milorganite anytime in the summer months.

I always water it in after applying.

My Milorganite schedule is as follows:

Mid April
Memorial Day
July 4th
Labor Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post

Old 07-15-2019, 07:54 AM

15,736 posts, read 20,287,361 times
Haven't been able to find some, so my lawn hasn't really been fertilized in a while. I really don't want to use anything else other than an organic, and don't have any other options local to me.

We've been getting a ton of rain, and I still need to mow twice a week or I otherwise have to bag the clippings or it leaves hay in the lawn.

Honestly, i'm amazed at how thick and fast it grows even without any sort of fertilizer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden