Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2021, 01:56 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Bought a house in April in NJ and have done nothing to my lawn except water and mow it. The front lawn in particular could use something to green it up a bit. I was going to wait until September to overseed and add fertilizer because I read somewhere that's the optimal time, but was thinking of adding some Milorganite this weekend. Anything I should do differently before I add this stuff? Should I mow the lawn shorter than usual? Should I bag the clippings (I normally don't)? Do I need to water right after?
I believe in keeping grass at the high end of its height range and never cutting more than a third of its length if at all possible, but I would especially not cut short in midsummer. The Milorganite will get to the soil just fine even in relatively tall grass, certainly after a breezy or rainy day, unless you have a major thatch problem.

Keep in mind that Milorganite is a slow release fertilizer and your yard is not going to green up quickly after an application. It takes weeks to see a change and it is very gradual. This time of year even the best kept cool-season grass tends to brown and slow its growth. It will probably green up and start growing faster when highs start to regularly drop below 80F, even without any added fertilizer.

Also, definitely do not bag your clippings unless for some reason you are cutting a lot off at once (which you should avoid anyway) especially if it is wet when you cut. For best results, use a mulching mower and cut when dry. This also feeds your lawn and the mulched clippings keep fertilize and protect the soil from drying out or warming up too much.

You are definitely on the right track as far as overseeding though. Wait until ideal growth conditions for cool-season grasses which in NJ is probably around mid September through frost.

The Milorganite company recommends an application 4 times a year, coinciding with holidays: Memorial day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, and Thanksgiving. These are generalized recommendations for cool-season grasses. You can get a little more specific, particularly with the first and last ferts of the year by checking soil temps, but I think this schedule will work well in NJ as a rule of thumb.

I usually overseed in late September, a couple of weeks after applying a slow release fert. Then I fert one more time about a week or two before the first time the mercury is predicted to drop into the 20s which is to say late November, coinciding with their general recommendation of a Thanksgiving fert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2021, 08:34 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,634,568 times
Thanks for the info. I bought the fertilizer but didn’t put any down. It was pouring the day I planned on doing it and then I went away for the week. I will probably wait until sometime in September to both oversees and fertilize

Old 07-21-2021, 07:12 PM

7,493 posts, read 7,166,134 times
Totally your call but personally at this point I would wait until September 1 and do a major overhaul or as much as needed.

Aerate, fertilize, seed if needed.

Depending on whether you’re wanting to use Milo solely, as the temperatures start to fall in the coming months I would move to synthetic fertilizer and try to get in two or even 3 more applications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Bought a house in April in NJ and have done nothing to my lawn except water and mow it. The front lawn in particular could use something to green it up a bit. I was going to wait until September to overseed and add fertilizer because I read somewhere that's the optimal time, but was thinking of adding some Milorganite this weekend. Anything I should do differently before I add this stuff? Should I mow the lawn shorter than usual? Should I bag the clippings (I normally don't)? Do I need to water right after?

Old 08-04-2021, 05:46 PM

Sound advice on cutting the grass high.

Even better going with the highest setting year round. One of the best things you can do for your lawn.

Never cut a lawn when it is wet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I believe in keeping grass at the high end of its height range and never cutting more than a third of its length if at all possible, but I would especially not cut short in midsummer. The Milorganite will get to the soil just fine even in relatively tall grass, certainly after a breezy or rainy day, unless you have a major thatch problem.

Keep in mind that Milorganite is a slow release fertilizer and your yard is not going to green up quickly after an application. It takes weeks to see a change and it is very gradual. This time of year even the best kept cool-season grass tends to brown and slow its growth. It will probably green up and start growing faster when highs start to regularly drop below 80F, even without any added fertilizer.

Also, definitely do not bag your clippings unless for some reason you are cutting a lot off at once (which you should avoid anyway) especially if it is wet when you cut. For best results, use a mulching mower and cut when dry. This also feeds your lawn and the mulched clippings keep fertilize and protect the soil from drying out or warming up too much.

You are definitely on the right track as far as overseeding though. Wait until ideal growth conditions for cool-season grasses which in NJ is probably around mid September through frost.

The Milorganite company recommends an application 4 times a year, coinciding with holidays: Memorial day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, and Thanksgiving. These are generalized recommendations for cool-season grasses. You can get a little more specific, particularly with the first and last ferts of the year by checking soil temps, but I think this schedule will work well in NJ as a rule of thumb.

I usually overseed in late September, a couple of weeks after applying a slow release fert. Then I fert one more time about a week or two before the first time the mercury is predicted to drop into the 20s which is to say late November, coinciding with their general recommendation of a Thanksgiving fert.

Old 08-05-2021, 05:52 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,037,459 times
I think I will fertilize early Sept and do the overseeding late Sept, then maybe fertilize again in mid-late October.

Old 08-07-2021, 05:09 PM

What is your location?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
I think I will fertilize early Sept and do the overseeding late Sept, then maybe fertilize again in mid-late October.

Old 08-10-2021, 06:09 PM

11 posts, read 6,088 times
This stuff is granules? I am thinking of mixing it with my seed for fall overseeding. Does that make sense? I was hoping something that is in granules will be easier for me to deal with than garden soil.

Old 08-10-2021, 06:17 PM

Definitely a good idea and yes Milo is granular.

However if you're seeding you're going to want something more with a higher middle number that's typically found in starter fertilizer. Then follow with Milo after you get germination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhtredofBebbanburg View Post
This stuff is granules? I am thinking of mixing it with my seed for fall overseeding. Does that make sense? I was hoping something that is in granules will be easier for me to deal with than garden soil.

Old 08-13-2021, 11:40 AM

Anyone else having a hard time finding Milo or Purely Organic Lawn Food?

Old 08-15-2021, 01:01 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Anyone else having a hard time finding Milo or Purely Organic Lawn Food?
You might find this informative and useful:

Milorganite® 2021 Shortage Update
Here’s Why the Demand for Milorganite is Outpacing Production.

"Decades ago, there were more industries in the area that produced large volumes of wastewater, including several breweries and a yeast manufacturer. Many of them left the area taking their valuable “raw material” with them."

And this:

Milorganite Alternatives

Which even has a breakdown of local products available by state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden