Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2017, 06:37 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,944,937 times

Advertisements

I keep my blade all the way up and don't cut unless there is going to be a good soaking rain, I may only mow once or twice through July and August. I don't dethatch either, I don't have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 09:27 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
I keep my blade all the way up and don't cut unless there is going to be a good soaking rain, I may only mow once or twice through July and August. I don't dethatch either, I don't have to.
I used to cut quite a bit shorter, but I've since turned the whole project over to the pros and they pretty much do what you do

Old 09-19-2017, 12:42 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I had to drop it down just a bit. Full height on my mower is maybe a bit higher than standard mowers perhaps. But at max height, I found it difficult to cut the grass if people walked on it when it was long. It would be flopped over, the mower wouldn't "lift" it, and it wouldn't get cut but continue to grow. Eventually it would be too long, but laying sideways, and cause problems.

I had to drop maybe 1/2" and that created some good lift on my mulching blade to pull the grass up and cut it, and the problem went away. So, as much as I want to cut full height, it makes sense to cut it lower.

Also, I'm cutting 2X per week as of my labor day fert/seed. My lawn is the best it's ever been. I just have a slight crab grass problem because I failed to lay down preemergent, so that's what i'll focus on next spring/summer. My seeding is done. I went from moss/mulch/weeds/random grasses, to a dense, mostly fescue lawn in 2 seasons....I don't think I can stick any more grass into my lawn

Now to do some edging and landscaping

Old 09-24-2017, 05:49 AM

7,493 posts, read 7,176,530 times
Nice job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I had to drop it down just a bit. Full height on my mower is maybe a bit higher than standard mowers perhaps. But at max height, I found it difficult to cut the grass if people walked on it when it was long. It would be flopped over, the mower wouldn't "lift" it, and it wouldn't get cut but continue to grow. Eventually it would be too long, but laying sideways, and cause problems.

I had to drop maybe 1/2" and that created some good lift on my mulching blade to pull the grass up and cut it, and the problem went away. So, as much as I want to cut full height, it makes sense to cut it lower.

Also, I'm cutting 2X per week as of my labor day fert/seed. My lawn is the best it's ever been. I just have a slight crab grass problem because I failed to lay down preemergent, so that's what i'll focus on next spring/summer. My seeding is done. I went from moss/mulch/weeds/random grasses, to a dense, mostly fescue lawn in 2 seasons....I don't think I can stick any more grass into my lawn

Old 10-03-2017, 04:09 AM

Still cutting twice a week?

Quote:

Old 10-14-2017, 06:18 AM

Whatever works best for your situation, as long as they are cutting high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
I used to cut quite a bit shorter, but I've since turned the whole project over to the pros and they pretty much do what you do

Old 10-19-2017, 04:01 PM

Getting late into fall now but don’t make the mistake of lowering that mower deck.

Neighbor was asking me about this so here a reminder...

https://youtu.be/6ISw5ODvKNo

Old 10-20-2017, 08:11 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Still cutting twice a week?

Maybe.

Reason I say that is I'm starting to do raking of leaves, so usually i'll do a quick rake, and then mow/mulch the remaining leaves in to really clean it up.

I'm definitely still at 1X/week. Just unsure if I would need 2X if I wasn't chasing leaves now.

Old 11-18-2017, 05:51 AM

Have you put the mower away yet?

Still getting some growth here and keeping the cutting level at 3”.

Quote:
Maybe.

Reason I say that is I'm starting to do raking of leaves, so usually i'll do a quick rake, and then mow/mulch the remaining leaves in to really clean it up.

I'm definitely still at 1X/week. Just unsure if I would need 2X if I wasn't chasing leaves now.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:22 AM

3,220 posts, read 1,604,851 times
I just did a mow a few days ago, some parts of the lawn are still growing here (zone 7a) but it has slowed down in the last few weeks. I will probably do one more mow if too many leaves accumulate.

This is my first year owning a mower, what do you folks do for winterizing the mower/trimmer?

From reading I see two approaches, run the engine till dry or fill the tank and add stabilizer. What do you do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden