U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-17-2017, 06:37 PM
 
Location: Lebanon, OH
5,401 posts, read 5,151,328 times
Reputation: 11290

Advertisements

I keep my blade all the way up and don't cut unless there is going to be a good soaking rain, I may only mow once or twice through July and August. I don't dethatch either, I don't have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-19-2017, 09:27 AM
 
848 posts, read 207,193 times
Reputation: 1754
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
I keep my blade all the way up and don't cut unless there is going to be a good soaking rain, I may only mow once or twice through July and August. I don't dethatch either, I don't have to.
I used to cut quite a bit shorter, but I've since turned the whole project over to the pros and they pretty much do what you do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2017, 12:42 PM
 
7,359 posts, read 6,883,716 times
Reputation: 10135
I had to drop it down just a bit. Full height on my mower is maybe a bit higher than standard mowers perhaps. But at max height, I found it difficult to cut the grass if people walked on it when it was long. It would be flopped over, the mower wouldn't "lift" it, and it wouldn't get cut but continue to grow. Eventually it would be too long, but laying sideways, and cause problems.


I had to drop maybe 1/2" and that created some good lift on my mulching blade to pull the grass up and cut it, and the problem went away. So, as much as I want to cut full height, it makes sense to cut it lower.



Also, I'm cutting 2X per week as of my labor day fert/seed. My lawn is the best it's ever been. I just have a slight crab grass problem because I failed to lay down preemergent, so that's what i'll focus on next spring/summer. My seeding is done. I went from moss/mulch/weeds/random grasses, to a dense, mostly fescue lawn in 2 seasons....I don't think I can stick any more grass into my lawn


Now to do some edging and landscaping
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2017, 05:49 AM
 
Location: Zone 6B ~ Northern VA
1,235 posts, read 1,714,022 times
Reputation: 318
Nice job!


Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I had to drop it down just a bit. Full height on my mower is maybe a bit higher than standard mowers perhaps. But at max height, I found it difficult to cut the grass if people walked on it when it was long. It would be flopped over, the mower wouldn't "lift" it, and it wouldn't get cut but continue to grow. Eventually it would be too long, but laying sideways, and cause problems.


I had to drop maybe 1/2" and that created some good lift on my mulching blade to pull the grass up and cut it, and the problem went away. So, as much as I want to cut full height, it makes sense to cut it lower.



Also, I'm cutting 2X per week as of my labor day fert/seed. My lawn is the best it's ever been. I just have a slight crab grass problem because I failed to lay down preemergent, so that's what i'll focus on next spring/summer. My seeding is done. I went from moss/mulch/weeds/random grasses, to a dense, mostly fescue lawn in 2 seasons....I don't think I can stick any more grass into my lawn


Now to do some edging and landscaping
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2017, 04:09 AM
 
Location: Zone 6B ~ Northern VA
1,235 posts, read 1,714,022 times
Reputation: 318
Still cutting twice a week?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I had to drop it down just a bit. Full height on my mower is maybe a bit higher than standard mowers perhaps. But at max height, I found it difficult to cut the grass if people walked on it when it was long. It would be flopped over, the mower wouldn't "lift" it, and it wouldn't get cut but continue to grow. Eventually it would be too long, but laying sideways, and cause problems.


I had to drop maybe 1/2" and that created some good lift on my mulching blade to pull the grass up and cut it, and the problem went away. So, as much as I want to cut full height, it makes sense to cut it lower.



Also, I'm cutting 2X per week as of my labor day fert/seed. My lawn is the best it's ever been. I just have a slight crab grass problem because I failed to lay down preemergent, so that's what i'll focus on next spring/summer. My seeding is done. I went from moss/mulch/weeds/random grasses, to a dense, mostly fescue lawn in 2 seasons....I don't think I can stick any more grass into my lawn


Now to do some edging and landscaping
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2017, 06:18 AM
 
Location: Zone 6B ~ Northern VA
1,235 posts, read 1,714,022 times
Reputation: 318
Whatever works best for your situation, as long as they are cutting high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
I used to cut quite a bit shorter, but I've since turned the whole project over to the pros and they pretty much do what you do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Zone 6B ~ Northern VA
1,235 posts, read 1,714,022 times
Reputation: 318
Getting late into fall now but donít make the mistake of lowering that mower deck.

Neighbor was asking me about this so here a reminder...

https://youtu.be/6ISw5ODvKNo

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:11 AM
 
7,359 posts, read 6,883,716 times
Reputation: 10135
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Still cutting twice a week?



Maybe.


Reason I say that is I'm starting to do raking of leaves, so usually i'll do a quick rake, and then mow/mulch the remaining leaves in to really clean it up.


I'm definitely still at 1X/week. Just unsure if I would need 2X if I wasn't chasing leaves now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top