Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2018, 02:44 PM

10,272 posts, read 10,512,389 times

Advertisements

I've gone from 3.75" to 3.5" in the front and 3.25" in the back. I have to go over the grass twice at 3.75". The other problem I have is it takes me several days and I never get the entire yard cut at one time. The extra .25" gives me a couple more days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 03:15 PM

1,666 posts, read 960,105 times
Have a Craftsman T-2400 lawn tractor. I mow our pasture lol on a 3. Have 3 acres.

Old 09-21-2018, 03:29 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,904,295 times
4 inches in the summer and 3 inches in the fall here in Northern Indiana

Old 09-26-2018, 11:14 AM

15,692 posts, read 20,211,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I've gone from 3.75" to 3.5" in the front and 3.25" in the back. I have to go over the grass twice at 3.75". The other problem I have is it takes me several days and I never get the entire yard cut at one time. The extra .25" gives me a couple more days.
That's my strategy here as well. I go a tiny bit lower in the fall because I can, and it gives me a buffer incase I can't get to cutting right away. The lower height also allows the seed I overseeded with to get a bit more sunlight and grow. I can see the small sprouts in the thin areas of the lawn so I want to give them as much light to get as big as possible before winter

If it gets too long, then bagging it is a total PITA, and there's too much to mulch up.

This time of year with it being cooler and the sun being lower, I can go down to around 3" and it still grows like crazy without harm. I'm usually up near 4" in the summer heat though.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:01 PM

7,428 posts, read 7,022,035 times
Good approach.

It was nearly 90° today here in the middle Atlantic almost record temps so definitely keeping the mower deck set as high as possible until further notice. so definitely keeping the mower deck set as high as possible until further notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
That's my strategy here as well. I go a tiny bit lower in the fall because I can, and it gives me a buffer incase I can't get to cutting right away. The lower height also allows the seed I overseeded with to get a bit more sunlight and grow. I can see the small sprouts in the thin areas of the lawn so I want to give them as much light to get as big as possible before winter

If it gets too long, then bagging it is a total PITA, and there's too much to mulch up.

This time of year with it being cooler and the sun being lower, I can go down to around 3" and it still grows like crazy without harm. I'm usually up near 4" in the summer heat though.

Old 04-28-2019, 05:41 AM

On about the 5th cutting now for the season and beginning to raise the cutting height.

This summer looking to top out around 4-5”. What cutting height are you using?

Old 04-28-2019, 10:35 AM

6,339 posts, read 4,068,702 times
It obviously changes due to the heat and rainfall or lack thereof and is pretty obvious.

That’s one reason I wouldn’t want a lan service to cut my grass since many professionals have commercial mowers that require shimming the blades to adjust the deck height. So if you have someone with this setup cut your grass and your lawn is not sprinkled, it will burn and you will have no lawn during the hot summer months.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:23 AM

15,692 posts, read 20,211,420 times
Still early in the season here. Typically May, the grass grows like crazy right before it goes to seed before slowing down into June. I usually like to get near max height by June, but for now I tend to stay a little lower to keep up with the ridiculous rate of growth i'm about to see (pretty much rain every other day in our forcast for the past and upcoming week) and to take care of the seed heads before too much energy is spent growing them. Pretty much once the "go to seed" period is over, I raise the mower up.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:24 AM

I have been getting in the habit each year of starting to raise the mowing deck higher and find its better for the lawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Still early in the season here. Typically May, the grass grows like crazy right before it goes to seed before slowing down into June. I usually like to get near max height by June, but for now I tend to stay a little lower to keep up with the ridiculous rate of growth i'm about to see (pretty much rain every other day in our forcast for the past and upcoming week) and to take care of the seed heads before too much energy is spent growing them. Pretty much once the "go to seed" period is over, I raise the mower up.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:19 AM

14,287 posts, read 14,527,838 times
I pretty much leave my mower on the middle setting, most of my neighbors cut their lawns one lower I'd say. My dad harped about cutting lawns too short all the time. I mowed for the 1st time yesterday, am thinking I might do it again, one lower. We're getting 2 days of rain, haven't checked how wet it is and if I can get it done before the rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden