U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2016, 06:07 PM

3 posts, read 4,480 times

Advertisements

I live in zone 9 and I have planted some Scottish and Irish Moss in a partially shaded area of my lawn. It has been a week since I first planted the moss and it has been unusually dry with temps in the mid 80's. I've attempted to make sure the soil looks at least moist and not bone dry. Despite my attempts, I am already seeing much yellowing on some of the plants. Anybody have any suggestions or thoughts on why this may be happening?

Another question: do these types of moss plants generally spread aggressively, or are they slow/don't spread at all.

Thanks for any comments.

Last edited by xerojer; 05-09-2016 at 06:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 10:50 PM

39,334 posts, read 47,296,849 times
Heat an moisture play a big role. read this information, it may help you.
Why Is My Moss Turning Brown? | eHow

Old 05-10-2016, 10:08 PM

3,445 posts, read 2,274,337 times
"temps in the mid 80's" -- just rub it in, why dontcha. LOL! Chilly, grey and dreary here. Our moss goes through stages. It looks fabulous after it rains, and then it dries up when we get a dry spell. Just as soon as we get some rain, it perks up again. There are many different kinds of mosses, and my husband loves them all. Most of them do spread, at least the ones in our yard.

Old 05-11-2016, 03:08 PM

540 posts, read 687,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
There are many different kinds of mosses, and my husband loves them all. Most of them do spread, at least the ones in our yard.
^ I have the same problem with moss spreading. Except it's on my roof... and my sidewalk... and my dog...

I guess that's one of the hazards of living in this beautiful green area!

Old 05-12-2016, 05:00 PM

36,835 posts, read 45,247,132 times
I think it is just an adjustment thing. If your moss is going to thrive where you have planted it, it will. If it is not happy there, then nothing you can do will help.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:35 AM

Don't worry, I live in Houston and I assure you the weather is misery lol. Mid 80's may sound nice, but I work outside and there is already a heat index of up to +7 degrees, high humidity and dew points around 70. Hard to believe it is going to get much, much worse.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:40 AM

Thanks for the tips and advice guys. I don't know why it is hard for me to accept that this stuff doesn't want to grow right. See, I'm looking for a pretty particular type of plant- a ground cover that doesn't grow too tall attracting snakes (we have already killed our first water moccasin), one that spreads aggressively, preferably one with small blooms or at least pretty (like these bright mosses), and one that can withstand the hell on earth that is gulf coast zone 9.

It is frustrating that, as an amateur gardener I can have many various plants that thrive to one extent or another, but I cannot successfully grow glorified grass. Our climate isn't all bad, with year-round evergreens and many plants that are more tropical than seen elsewhere. It wasn't until I lived in Dallas for a couple years that I realized just how green Houston is-sort of how I would expect the pacific northwest to look.

Anywho, I am planning on trying out some English Ivy around a circle of roses I have. I am just concerned about using English Ivy everywhere, because it seems like nice habitat for snakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or