U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 04:01 PM
j1n j1n started this thread

1,233 posts, read 4,041,183 times

Advertisements

I posted a different question about this over in the WY forum, but ended up finding the answer...the scientific name for sagebrush is Artemisia tridentata. This stuff grows wild all over the Rockies, it seems...CO and WY for sure. Now here's where I could use some info.
Anyone have any background with it? I want to try to grow/plant some in VA and I'm not sure how it will do. It seems it would be a pretty hardy plant due to the more arid conditions it generally grows in. And I assume that snow and cold wouldn't be an issue as the winters out west are way more than what VA gets.

Last edited by j1n; 02-14-2008 at 05:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 04:40 PM

2,073 posts, read 4,849,724 times
It even grows naturally as far east into Nebraska and part of Western Iowa. I'll try to get some information for you.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
It even grows naturally as far east into Nebraska and part of Western Iowa. I'll try to get some information for you.
nice! thanks

Old 02-14-2008, 05:37 PM

Well, it is grown in Massachusetts, so I would imagine it would grow just fine it Virginia... not sure how similar the climates are between the two, but I think if you get your hands one of these you would be fine. But that may be the trouble, usually you can easily order trees over the internet, but this tree is seen as "invasive" ... like a pest, so it may not be commonly sold.

If you find it impossible to find this tree/shrub, I would recommend looking into the Russian Olive, it is very very similar!!

Massachusetts County Level Distribution for Artemisia tridentata (big sagebrush) | USDA PLANTS

Before, I was thinking you were talking about basic sage grass, which is what we have in Western IA, but when I looked up Sagebrush I realized it was different, we only have Russian Olive here but I would imagine we would be able to grow it as well.

Really hope this helps.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:48 PM

excellent! thanks again

Old 02-15-2008, 09:25 AM

592 posts, read 1,924,561 times
j1n, one place you can order some types of sagebrush is at high country gardens web site. They sell all sorts of plants that you might find interesting. Also the CSU and Denver botanical gardens has a web site called Plant select that might have info for you.
The sage you are looking for "tridentata" is considered a weed in my neck of the woods. It is very hardy and competitive. I have been told that it is like a few other western plants in that it will actually drop a "toxin" around itself which keeps other plants from growing. I have seen stands of sagebrush in watered gulleys as tall as a horse but to much water will kill it. Be careful with this stuff because it spreads and you could end up introducing an invasive species to VA. There is also a smaller bush called rabbit brush that has yellow flowers which grows with sagebrush. It has a lot of the same characteristics.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:54 AM

14,174 posts, read 22,492,358 times
You mean tumbleweeds???

Old 02-15-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
You mean tumbleweeds???
are tumbleweeds the "after" picture if a thriving sagebrush plant is the "before" picture?

Old 02-15-2008, 03:29 PM

14,174 posts, read 22,492,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1n View Post
are tumbleweeds the "after" picture if a thriving sagebrush plant is the "before" picture?
Once I was driving across western KS on a windy day and they were kind of funny, blowing across the road.

I see people here in Denver growing some sort of sage that gets beautiful purple flowers in the middle of summer. Not sure what it's called, but they don't tumble away. I'm not sure if they're a perennial that you chop back or if they just keep getting bigger. The ones I've seen are up to 4' tall.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
You mean tumbleweeds???
lol, no sagbrush is not a form of the tumbleweed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden