U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 11:06 AM

2,533 posts, read 1,824,335 times

Advertisements

If your lawn is Bermuda grass or Centipede it will grow back. Just be patient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 11:21 AM

37,096 posts, read 45,604,555 times
FYI, last year Scott's Weed and Feed had some bad batches which killed a lot of lawns. Ours was the Southern Lawns version, so I don't know what other types were affected. If you have a bag sitting around from last year, you can call Scotts and they will replace it. If you already used it and it made your grass turn brown, you might also be able to get free stuff for this year.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:28 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,317,803 times
I'm still a novice at landscaping, but a few weeks ago I used Lesco's Weed and Feed on my front yard. Now the lawn is nice and green and dandelion free.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:39 PM

7,185 posts, read 11,226,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I'm still a novice at landscaping, but a few weeks ago I used Lesco's Weed and Feed on my front yard. Now the lawn is nice and green and dandelion free.
I used Lesco Fertilizer and Pre-Emergent from Home Depot in March and it brought out a nice green shade in my lawn. Sadly, within a couple of weeks, all kinds of new weeds came to life in my yard and now it is a mess out there. But it's green!

Time to go to the Ortho Weed Killer concentrate and the sprayer for a serious round of spot killing.

Then it's off to get some Lesco fertilizer for Round 2 of the season.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:07 PM

3,455 posts, read 2,324,594 times
Weeds and I peacefully co-exist. I mow 'em down when they get too big. Now vines... you wanna talk about something I want to spray with Round-up? Dang, the vines are completely out of control this year. All kinds of vines, twisting around everything. And I can't just mow 'em. I have to cut them down low. (Forget trying to pull them out.) And then they grow back! Argh!

Old 05-14-2016, 12:36 AM

7,247 posts, read 4,670,946 times
I do most of my weed control the old-fashioned way. In the spring, I use about a gallon and a half of Ortho Weed-B-Gon Max to kill all the creeping Charlie before the first mow (you don't want to mow that stuff; just spreads it like a carpet), and as long as I'm at that I hit the early dandelions too. But after that, I just pull the heads off of the dandelions while they're still yellow. I do it twice a day, and they never have a chance to seed. I also pull the crab grass out by the roots right after a rain, when the soil is soft. Works great - it's only mid-May, and my lawn is already completely weed free. Rest of the summer, all I have to do is mow it.

Oh, yeah - and sit out there and enjoy it, too. Almost forgot to mention that. It's the most important part!

Old 05-14-2016, 05:55 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,010,159 times
if you live in the southern region roundup is a terrific tool to use when the bermuda is dormant. I had really great results spraying the entire lawn on a warm day in the early spring just before the bermuda starts greening. Anything green will die and only the bermuda wakes up.

I didn't have time to do it this year and i'm getting a fair amount of weeds but I hope to get out there with some 'selective' herbicide like 2,4-d very soon.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:10 AM

5,158 posts, read 6,350,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
that part isn't required

Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed
According to your link:

APPLY TO WET LAWN

How to best apply Scotts® Turf Builder® Weed & Feed3.
  • Apply when weeds are already growing
  • Use on a calm day when consistently 60-90 degrees
  • Don't use if rain is expected within 24 hours

Old 05-15-2016, 02:40 PM

452 posts, read 291,817 times
Weed and feed is about the worst thing you can put on your yard. It can harm trees and because it is broadcast, it is easily tracked in doors. In addition the chemical involved does not play well with groundwater. Google for more details.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:26 PM

52 posts, read 45,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
FYI, last year Scott's Weed and Feed had some bad batches which killed a lot of lawns. Ours was the Southern Lawns version, so I don't know what other types were affected. If you have a bag sitting around from last year, you can call Scotts and they will replace it. If you already used it and it made your grass turn brown, you might also be able to get free stuff for this year.

What kind of grass do you have? I thought I'd use the Southern Lawns version on my Bermuda yard, the Home Depot guy recommended it, but fortunately I read the small print at the back of the bag that specifically said NOT to use it on Bermuda. Surprising because Bermuda seems to be THE go to sod for builders to lay in every new subdivision they build in the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or