Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 06:01 AM

7,487 posts, read 7,156,393 times

Advertisements

I too get them, but not a problem with Bayer Advanced Season Long Grub Control and Turf Revitalizer.

Grubs love lawns with thick deep roots to chew on mid to late summer.

Timing really is the key...some of these products are preventive measures others are to be used at the time grubs are actually doing the damage.

I have a neighbor who says they don’t use any fertilizer, no fungicides, and especially no grub control. Let’s just say there are so-called lawn shows it, but not in a good way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I disagree on the grubs. I get them every year in the same sections of my lawn. I can take a thatch rake and pull up big sections of grass because the roots have been eaten. I get these brown spots earlier than what has been mentioned. I'll probably start seeing them in late July. I'll throw some grass seed down and usually have new grass by September. I've used all the grub control products on the market but they always come back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 07:26 PM

Never used Dylox, but suppose to be a great product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtbrye View Post
This is the third year that I've put down Dylox (first week of June) and there's been no sign of moles or patches of dead lawn.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:14 PM

https://youtu.be/H7cP1KWqXoA

Old 03-25-2023, 02:10 PM

Don’t make the mistake of trying to deal with grubs in the spring time:

https://plantforsuccess.com/treat-for-grubs/

Every spring I hear from a lot of concerned homeowners that they discovered grubs in their lawn and they need to know what product to use to kill them. I totally get the fear, especially if you're discovering damaged sections of lawn. Lawn damage from grubs will peel up easily, almost like a carpet since grubs eat the roots of the grass. It can be pretty scary when you first make this discovery.

While I understand the sense of urgency to react, the truth is a lot of the damage you're seeing in the spring was probably from last fall, you just didn't realize it. Grubs feed for a very brief period in the spring. After that brief feeding period they get ready to transform into Beetles. After spending several weeks as Beetles they will lay eggs in the soil over the summer and those eggs will hatch into the next generation of grubs. These newly hatched grubs will feed on your lawns roots all fall until they eventually overwinter in your lawns soil.

Why is this important? If you're looking to kill grubs, it's much easier to kill them when they are small right after they hatch in late summer. The grubs in your lawn now are the biggest they can be. Big, fat grubs in the spring are very hard to kill, and honestly, most of the damage is already done at this point. Instead of trying to kill them now, you're much better off killing them in the late summer/early fall stages of their life. Check out the 2 products I recommend for preventing and killing grubs:

Old 03-26-2023, 04:38 AM

2,706 posts, read 2,207,814 times
I am not concerned with the damage grubs do, but the armadillos digging for them tear my yard up every year. I had to put a short fence around the flower bed due to the armadillos tearing up the bed so bad that I had to completely redo it.

Old 03-30-2023, 02:30 PM

I couldn’t imagine the damage those do, however my first year when I skipped grub control, let’s just say never again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I am not concerned with the damage grubs do, but the armadillos digging for them tear my yard up every year. I had to put a short fence around the flower bed due to the armadillos tearing up the bed so bad that I had to completely redo it.

Old 04-03-2024, 03:50 AM

Grub season is soon upon us.

On the second most important application to crabgrass prevention.

Costco has GrubEx on promotion $40 for 10,000 sq ft bag.

Old 04-03-2024, 09:01 AM

2,706 posts, read 2,207,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Grub season is soon upon us.

On the second most important application to crabgrass prevention.

Costco has GrubEx on promotion $40 for 10,000 sq ft bag.
Dang - I don't have a Costco here in Walton land.

Old 04-03-2024, 09:22 AM

4,510 posts, read 2,651,635 times
And yet, with 16 years of the "benign neglect" regimen, my yard looks better than 90% of the chemical-addicted neighbors'.

Don't scalp it. Water sparingly. Never bag clippings. No synthetic fertilizers insecticides or herbicides. Occasional application of turkey-guano organic fertilizer. Occasional application of sulfur (we have slightly alkaline clay soil and chiggers). I weed using what I call my "millennial-astonisher" - a hoe.

Yes, I find grubworms when I dig. No issue, as my healthy lawn grass can tolerate a little munching. Whatever this "thatch" is that I'm supposed to be having to remove every year, I don't have it, because the organic material on my yard can degrade naturally, because the beneficial organisms in the soil haven't all been killed by constant repeated applications of insecticides, fungicides, herbicides, and synthetic fertilizers.

The chemical-addicted lawn care routine is like living your entire life on Red Bull, Doritos and beer, and then expecting that if something goes wrong, the cardiologists and oncologists will be able to fix it.

Old 04-03-2024, 09:48 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,054,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
And yet, with 16 years of the "benign neglect" regimen, my yard looks better than 90% of the chemical-addicted neighbors'.

Don't scalp it. Water sparingly. Never bag clippings. No synthetic fertilizers insecticides or herbicides. Occasional application of turkey-guano organic fertilizer. Occasional application of sulfur (we have slightly alkaline clay soil and chiggers). I weed using what I call my "millennial-astonisher" - a hoe.

Yes, I find grubworms when I dig. No issue, as my healthy lawn grass can tolerate a little munching. Whatever this "thatch" is that I'm supposed to be having to remove every year, I don't have it, because the organic material on my yard can degrade naturally, because the beneficial organisms in the soil haven't all been killed by constant repeated applications of insecticides, fungicides, herbicides, and synthetic fertilizers.

The chemical-addicted lawn care routine is like living your entire life on Red Bull, Doritos and beer, and then expecting that if something goes wrong, the cardiologists and oncologists will be able to fix it.
Agree.

I use diluted Dawn dishwasher soap....apply it monthly from late April to late July.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden