Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 07:35 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times

Advertisements

It seems like it would be too hot to grow vegetables in the summer in FL and the SW.
Do you grow your veggies in the winter? Late winter? Early spring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 07:41 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,557,269 times
Yes. I start seeds to my main garden in September, and have various crops coming in around December onwards. In spring and summer here, I only grow cherry tomatoes and peppers. Peppers down here become huge, woody plants like bushes, so as long as they don't catch a virus, I leave them in year round. Crops of them come in all the time.

I gave up on melons, cukes, squashes. Too many bugs to fight.

But November/December and I've got some killer mesclun, romaine and Boston bibb!

Old 07-04-2016, 07:53 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
Fall? Wow, that seems so strange. Of course FL is a long state. I imagine northern FL you would plant tomatoes..when?

Old 07-04-2016, 07:55 AM

392 posts, read 755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Yes. I start seeds to my main garden in September, and have various crops coming in around December onwards. In spring and summer here, I only grow cherry tomatoes and peppers. Peppers down here become huge, woody plants like bushes, so as long as they don't catch a virus, I leave them in year round. Crops of them come in all the time.

I gave up on melons, cukes, squashes. Too many bugs to fight.

But November/December and I've got some killer mesclun, romaine and Boston bibb!

What pepper varieties do you plant? We are in south Texas and pepper production is halted by the heat.

Old 07-04-2016, 07:58 AM

NY to LA, I'm not sure of the name anymore. I know I got the seeds from JohnnySeeds, and it's hard to get a red one. Mostly deep yellow and orange if I let ripen, perhaps a streak of red, but if I don't harvest soon after going orange, I do lose them to heat.

I keep them moist, and they are planted to where in summer the grape vines shade them a bit in the hot afternoons. A large help is adding humic acid to their feet, this helps them retain moisture.

edit: Found it! (I knew it had 'flavor' in the name!)
Now I know why I never get a red one, they don't really turn red...
I've grown this variety for about 3 years, and yes, it is heat resistant. They should advertise it as so. I have flowers all over them right now, and it's been in mid 90's all week.
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-7745-flavorburst.aspx

Last edited by TerraDown; 07-04-2016 at 08:57 AM..

Old 07-04-2016, 12:35 PM

392 posts, read 755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
NY to LA, I'm not sure of the name anymore. I know I got the seeds from JohnnySeeds, and it's hard to get a red one. Mostly deep yellow and orange if I let ripen, perhaps a streak of red, but if I don't harvest soon after going orange, I do lose them to heat.

I keep them moist, and they are planted to where in summer the grape vines shade them a bit in the hot afternoons. A large help is adding humic acid to their feet, this helps them retain moisture.

edit: Found it! (I knew it had 'flavor' in the name!)
Now I know why I never get a red one, they don't really turn red...
I've grown this variety for about 3 years, and yes, it is heat resistant. They should advertise it as so. I have flowers all over them right now, and it's been in mid 90's all week.
Flavorburst (F1) Pepper Seed - Johnny's Selected Seeds

Wow these look pretty..will definitely look for them next season.
Yes we then moved from Los Angeles to Texas.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:30 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
I start my plants indoors in around feb and then by march they are really good size and willing and able to put them outside . I live in sc and yes sometimes I have to bring them inside but that is okay too and guess what way before the hornworm gets going I have a bumper crop of tomatoes ....

Old 07-04-2016, 03:29 PM

Giesela, North Florida does get pretty cold, at least from what I've seen on the weather underground website. I guess they'd grow them similar to what people in southern LA., southern GA. would?

Old 07-04-2016, 03:58 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
South Texas here. I start seeds the last week of January in pots. They're in the ground 2nd week of Feb. The winter garden starts right after Labor Day, seeds right into soil. Winter is usually Kale, Collards, and Swiss Chard. Spring is usually Swiss Chard, Spinach, Kale, Squash, and Tomatoes. I grow onions in pots all year long. Depending on the size of the garden, you'll get more return per square foot from Kale, Collards, and Swiss Chard. Beans, peas, squash, peppers, etc. takes a lot of room to get any kind of return. Onions, leeks, peppers, and garlic are easily grown in large pots. If your garden has summer morning sun and afternoon shade, you can grow all thru the summer but return/production is slower. I still have tons of Kale and Chard coming. I haven't had much luck with any kind of lettuce because by the time the plants are ready to head out, it's too hot and they don't make. YMMV.

Old 07-04-2016, 04:12 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
Peppers dying from heat? I thought they loved heat?

Anyway, I wish I can grow artichokes but our growing season up here is not long enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden