Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2016, 09:54 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,700,636 times

Advertisements

I can't seem to find a definitive answer on whether 'New Dawn' is own-root or not. If not, and all the root sprout is going to give me is a nondescript red flower, then I'm going to go ahead and dig it up now and plant something else there.

I'm so disappointed...I'd had the plant for several years and it was really starting to take off. We had terrible rains this spring and I'm assuming it died from too much water.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 10:28 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,686,567 times
Well to confuse you further, New Dawn may be available in both own root and grafted plants. The rose name usually comes from the flower, not the plant.

I've grown New Dawn and this is a very healthy and hardy plant. If there is enough healthy root system left and it wants to put out new sprouts, *I* would baby it along and wait. I think if it manages to regrow from the root you will be rewarded with a nice plant which likely will be just the same New Dawn you planted.

With that kind of damage it may take this entire growing season for it to recover, and then next year it should be putting out something more rosebush. These things take time.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:50 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,578,309 times
Azoria is right - only time will tell. When those suckers from the grafted rootstock (if that's what you have) take over we call them Dr. Hueys. Good luck with yours, I still regret losing my New Dawn years ago. Here's an interesting take on Dr. Huey roses.

Dr. Huey a Rose Sucker - Rose Notes

Old 05-30-2016, 04:49 PM

Yeah, I had a 'Dr. Huey' come up once when a rose I had planted died...I was so excited to think that the rose had lived after all, until I saw the bloom. It wasn't even as pretty as the one in the article. Then I remembered what I had read about grafted roses and the root stock being a common red rose. Come to think of it, I just pulled up another Huey sprout from that rose the other day, and that thing has been gone for probably 7 years.

Just looking at the sprout, I'm wagering on a Dr. Huey....it has darker leaves than the New Dawn, with red tinges around the edges...Dawn wasn't like that, IIRC. I probably ought to just go on out there right now and dig the whole blasted thing up. But if I miss a few pieces of root will they continue to sprout?

My friend just asked me the other day if I wanted to dig up a rose her sister's husband planted by her grave 7 years ago....the cemetery board wants it gone, as it is now against the rules...I think it is a 'Knockout' rose. Will have to research to see if Knockouts are grafted. No more Dr. Hueys for me!

Old 05-30-2016, 06:36 PM

10,308 posts, read 7,895,930 times
Poor Dr. Huey, remembered now only as the name of a rose no one actually seems to like!

Old 06-01-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Poor Dr. Huey, remembered now only as the name of a rose no one actually seems to like!
LOL...well, the one that came up in my yard wasn't very pretty. Just sort of an anemic-looking flower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden