U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 12:42 PM

3,261 posts, read 1,941,217 times

Advertisements

I also had a negative experience with Spring Hill. And when I had a plant that didn't take, instead of refunding my cost or replacing it, they sent me "Spring Hill Bucks" (I am making up that name). Useless!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 12:55 PM

3,462 posts, read 1,641,512 times
I have bought tons of plants from Wayside Gardens online. They usually have free shipping when you buy over a certain amount, have discounts, and send you a birthday bonus as well. Their plants are so good that I have left them in the shipping pot over the winter with temps down to 10 degrees in zone 7 and then had the plant sprout healthily the next spring. Their quality is phenomenal and they have a lot of plants that are unavailable at local garden centers. The one thing I don't buy is bare root stock, but 99% of their plants are potted anyway - and usually in quart pots or larger. BTW, Jackson & Perkins is their affiliate site, so if you sign up for one site, you might as well sign up for the other and get the same benefits. They're both great!

Old 06-05-2016, 03:52 PM

20,998 posts, read 25,737,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
I'm basically looking for whatever perennial for zone 2 that blooms nicely (fragrance is a plus) and/or lets form a living wall. I ordered arborvitae, purple leaf plum hedge, mock orange, dwarf flowering cherry, and Indian currant coralberry - it's what they claim can survive zone2 . All arrived dead dead, so I was unable to test the hardiness.
Zone 2 is going to be tough. Try University of Idaho Reforestation Program. IF you are growing a hedge, they sell very nice seedlings in bundles for very reasonable price. Mostly natives, but some have flowers. I've had really good luck with trees from them, and also the wood roses. Wood roses do spred, so be sure that's what you want.

It is probably too late to order for this year, but you can get onto the mailing list for next winter.

Old 06-05-2016, 04:11 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,608,566 times
Plants Delight in N.C. is a wonderful place. American Meadows also honors their guarantee.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:36 AM

6,719 posts, read 11,734,498 times
Thought I would update my post on Spring Hill (post #20 in this thread). I DID get an email from the Spring Hill rep on Monday (last Monday) -- she apologized for not getting back to me right away but she was out of the office on Thursday and Friday. She has put in a replacement order for me for the tulips that didn't bloom AND asked me to let her know if other flowers don't come up. I have to say, I am surprised and impressed, and since I wrote negative things about them earlier in this thread, I thought it was only fair to come back and let you know they seem to be honoring their guarantee!

Oh, and all the heucheras continue to do well (both the ones I got locally as mature plants AND the ones I got as tiny plants from Spring Hill) -- I have maybe 15 (different kinds) in one of my beds and I love, love, love them. So colorful and beautiful.

Old 06-12-2016, 02:06 PM

2,189 posts, read 986,250 times
That's cool! There is hope. Sometimes things get a little burdened with the amount of people ordering all at once. Glad they took care of you.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:57 AM

2,048 posts, read 1,455,767 times
I've ordered from those cheapo nurseries that put out the junk mail. The nurseries are often in Tennessee. I wanted to experiment with some trees I can't buy locally. Both times ended badly: dead plants, wrong species. I gave them two tries- no more.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:44 PM

671 posts, read 1,467,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtoad78 View Post
I've had great experience with Stark Brothers recently as well.
I ordered a bare-root gooseberry bush, and it arrived quick and packaged very well. It was way bigger than I was expecting, and came with nicely printed planting instructions.
I soaked the roots for a few hours, and when I went to plant it, I noticed that all the tiny closed buds covering the bush had already started to open with green growth.
Needless to say, I'm very happy so far!
Same here: we ordered an apple tree from Stark Bro 2 weeks ago, they only charged you when they shipped, so when they shipped, we got the tree in 2 days, soaked the roots few hours as in the instruction then planted in the same day. Now it has couple leaves from the buds and it seems healthy.

We hope the tree can tolerate the winter here and next spring, it will blossom and in 2 years, we can have fruits.

Stark Bro has a lot of good reviews .

Old 06-14-2016, 09:50 PM

5,808 posts, read 3,295,904 times
Got terrific bare root strawberries from Starks.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:25 AM

1,195 posts, read 849,139 times
Thanks you all! Some of the good nurseries you mentioned just don't ship there
I'll try this Idaho place next year.
I tried ordering shrubs, most trees just don't grow here and I won't have a patience anyway to watch them growing from a 2-feet baby.
Good luck with your gardening projects!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or