U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 06:42 AM

4,755 posts, read 8,380,470 times

Advertisements

I have very good experience ordering from Edible Landscape in Virginia & Four Winds Grower in California online. I order mostly citrus & fruit trees generally not available locally. Edible Landscape had even turn down a sale of the sweet cherry tree that is not suitable for my hot & humid climate. Now that's integrity. They ship trees in containers pruned but still have ample leaves to show healthy & vibrant plants. I am very happy with my purchases.

I am also lucky to have local nurseries with knowledgeable people who don't mind I drop by just to chat about trees & plants. I would bring a sample of leaves and they would tell me what was wrong (or it's normal). I also get recommendations on better cultivars for local climate. There are no pressure to buy but I buy from them whenever possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 07:37 AM

3,301 posts, read 4,836,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Plants Delight in N.C. is a wonderful place. American Meadows also honors their guarantee.
Hey NK, I checked and I'm about a 3.5 hour drive from them. Do you think it would be worth the trip later this summer or fall if I was intending to buy many plants on one of the open nursery days?

I was kinda spoiled living in Oakland, there were 8 or 10 very good nurseries within 20 miles of home and while they all had lots of the basics each one also seemed to have some specialty items that the others did not stock.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:18 AM

7,841 posts, read 6,916,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtoad78 View Post
I've had great experience with Stark Brothers recently as well.
I ordered a bare-root gooseberry bush, and it arrived quick and packaged very well. It was way bigger than I was expecting, and came with nicely printed planting instructions.
I soaked the roots for a few hours, and when I went to plant it, I noticed that all the tiny closed buds covering the bush had already started to open with green growth.
Needless to say, I'm very happy so far!
I'll add another for Stark Brothers as well as Jung's Nursery and Bluestone Perennials. For trees, especially conifers, I like Musser Forests. I've gotten lots of bulbs from Brecks over the years, too.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:22 PM

1,340 posts, read 3,138,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
The one thing I don't buy is bare root stock, but 99% of their plants are potted anyway - and usually in quart pots or larger.
Do you mind me asking why you don't buy bare root stock? Often times they have infinitely higher chances of survival over previously potted plants.. at least that's my experience.

I will echo much of the sentiment in this thread in recommending Stark Bros. They have a fabulous website with tons of useful planting and feeding information. I ordered several bare root fruit trees, raspberries and strawberries back in February and they waited until April to ship them, only charging me when they shipped. They arrived well packaged with crystal clear planting instructions. Everything I've planted is absolutely thriving.

I've also had good luck with bare root currants and strawberries from Burpee and bare root raspberries and strawberries from Nourse Farms (who have an amazing array of strawberries). I followed the planting instructions and haven't lost a thing.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:06 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,271,066 times
Call Plant Delights. They don't seem to be very retail oriented, mostly mail order and conservation work, but they do have good stuff. They might allow pickup, which would save you quite a bit on shipping. Otherwise, they only have open days a few times per year.

Old 06-25-2016, 05:53 AM

36,434 posts, read 41,608,566 times
Plants Delight is primarily a mail order nursery but they have some terrific open houses for those of us who live close by. Their catalogue is filled with unusual plants from all over the world and Tony Avent offers terrific advice with humor all throughout his catalogue. They are known for many many varieties of hosta.

Plant Delights Nursery | An Online Nursery - The best place to buy new plants online for your garden

Old 06-25-2016, 10:02 AM

34,530 posts, read 42,694,765 times
I have had good success with many of the places already mentioned. I will add that I've gotten awesome daylilies from Smokeys Daylilies, and they have assortments depending upon color, height, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or