U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2016, 09:00 PM

6,367 posts, read 12,040,027 times

Advertisements

Cut the vines open with a knife or razor blade...pick out the larva. Cover the base of the vine with some more dirt etc. Then water and fertilize. It will re-grow roots. I get borers every year, and this is do-able since I grow about 10 squash plants max. You have to get to them when you see the leaves wilting, so you know the borers are on the march.

I've been reluctant to use row covers because they are plastic or something. Maybe this year I'll try to buy silk gauze and try to cover them with that. When I plant squash, I just consider the borers a fact of life.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 07:54 PM

3,480 posts, read 4,562,617 times
Thanks to all who've replied thus far.

It's been a few days since I did a close inspection of my squash. Haven't seen anything in a few days and have taken it a bit easy on looking, especially when it comes to weekends.

I have some squash growing up on a hill, a little bit away from the rest of my "Garden of Eatin". Most of these squash are SVB resistant, the moschata's. Wouldn't you know, the one particular variety of squash I am growing, Trombincino, which did extremely well last year, I find eggs on some of the leaves! I had just watered so couldn't remove the eggs as I usually do, so just took the part of the leaf off that had the eggs. I can tell you tomorrow I will be doing a close inspection.

I read somewhere that you could try wrapping the base of the plant with grafting tape, which is suppose to expand as the plant grows. I may have to try this next year.

Not getting as many squash as I thought I would, especially for planting as early as I did.

Other than butternut squash, has anyone tried some of the more unusual types of moschata squash that are suppose to be SVB reistant, and if so, which ones have done well for you?

Old 06-13-2016, 12:04 PM

15,062 posts, read 44,957,101 times
You can inject the hollow of the stem with insecticide. They can bore all they want, but once they reach what they think is that safe space they die. A dilute solution of liquid seven works. I suppose you could try something like dishwashing liquid & water if you want. The squash bugs were a much bigger problem for me. Looking on the undersides of leaves and picking them off or spraying was about all that I found to work.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:06 PM

Well...little buggers got one of the plants on the hill. Had to do surgery. I know I got one out, just hoping I killed the other one, and what others may have been lurking in there. Hoping the plant will recover. Realized it's not a moschata but a maxima. I should have kept an eye on it.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:18 PM

Hmmm...it seems the squash bug and the squash vine borer eggs look the same? Whatever they are, I'm trying to fight then.

Thanks for the idea Harry Chickpea, may have to give that a try. I bought a marinade injector that may work to do that!

Old 06-13-2016, 06:42 PM

6,367 posts, read 12,040,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Thanks to all who've replied thus far.

Other than butternut squash, has anyone tried some of the more unusual types of moschata squash that are suppose to be SVB reistant, and if so, which ones have done well for you?
You are welcome. Thanks for making this thread a learning experience for me! I love butternut and yep it is resistant to SVB...but I'd never heard of moschata squash. Maybe I'll try it!

Old 06-14-2016, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
You are welcome. Thanks for making this thread a learning experience for me! I love butternut and yep it is resistant to SVB...but I'd never heard of moschata squash. Maybe I'll try it!
Yes, this IS a learning experience. So, all those eggs I thought were the SVB eggs are actually the SB egg! I went out and found hundreds up on my "carport hill" squash. I even found 4 squash bugs, two mating no less! This yearly war has got to stop!!!

I try to search out moschata squash due to the resistance to SVB - now have to make sure they are SB resistant too???

Besides butternut, I've tried the Greek Sweet Red, Tombancino and Seminole Pumpkin - all wonderful in my opinion and both did great last year that I'm growing them again this year. Only other one I tried last year, but didn't like was Sucrine du Berry. This year I'm trying Uncle Davids Dakota, Cuban Neck, Crowning and Seminole x Waltham

Old 06-20-2016, 09:42 PM

I continue to wage war. It's bad enough when you find eggs, but when you find the squash bugs mating, it's like adding insult to injury. Today, not only did I find squash bugs, I found one that was actually laying eggs when I found it - UGH!!!! And a darn SVB was flying around my squash. I tried to get it, but they are quick. I sprayed it with insecticidal soap. It kept flying, and laughing all the way.

I just had to vent!

Old 06-21-2016, 04:48 AM

62,782 posts, read 68,892,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
I continue to wage war. It's bad enough when you find eggs, but when you find the squash bugs mating, it's like adding insult to injury. Today, not only did I find squash bugs, I found one that was actually laying eggs when I found it - UGH!!!! And a darn SVB was flying around my squash. I tried to get it, but they are quick. I sprayed it with insecticidal soap. It kept flying, and laughing all the way.

I just had to vent!
heck I am glad you vented. I haven't had a year free of the darn things forever. But this year, it isn't SBs it is the lack of bees to pollinate in the first place. I have invited them to our yard and showed them the way but so far, they are ignoring me. So I have my beautiful blossoms but no bees to help them mate.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
heck I am glad you vented. I haven't had a year free of the darn things forever. But this year, it isn't SBs it is the lack of bees to pollinate in the first place. I have invited them to our yard and showed them the way but so far, they are ignoring me. So I have my beautiful blossoms but no bees to help them mate.
Hand pollinate??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden