U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 10:59 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,493,793 times

Advertisements

Well, I lost one of my summer squash plants to the dreaded VB. There was a big fat juicy worm inside it and there was no way I could get it out without the stem of the plant breaking off. Killed that big sucker! Darn it, and there were squash on there too. Found another one that may have had one in it but it was empty. UGH! Means I definitely missed some eggs out there, which I knew would happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 04:02 PM

Well here's a new idea to try! Impalement!!!

The Redneck Hippie: What to do About Squash Vine Borers ~

It has some "colorful" language on the website, so there is a forewarning. For those who like to keep it clean I will just post the paragraph below. Credit where credit is due:

3. Impalement: My personal favorite. Stick some hatpins in the first foot or eighteen inches of the stem, all the way through, and leave them for a week or two, then remove. I use fifteen or twenty pins per stem, inserting them every inch or so unless I feel a borer as I'm poking. In that case, I'll add another pin there for good measure.

Yes, you can feel them sometimes. You'll feel some resistance with a crunch when you go through the first stem wall, then it gets really easy to push the pin as it goes across the empty center, then resistance and a crunch when you hit the other wall. When you find a borer, it's more like resistance/crunch-resistance/resistance-resistance/crunch. Makes me smile every time. "But Linda! How can you be so bloodthirsty?! We are all God's creatures!" ^*#@ that. This is war. ProTip: Count the pins before you put them in and write it down somewhere because you WILL forget how many you put in each plant, and believe me you don't want to find them later when you pull the plants out. Not fun. And painful.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:54 PM

2,068 posts, read 962,334 times
If you are an every year Gardener, Squash vine borers overwinter as pupae/larvae, in underground cocoons. Rotate crops by squaring off square footage and do not repeat
same family crop in that spot for 4 years.

You can really cut down on next year's 'crop' of insect pests by completely cleaning up all leaf debris at end of season, removing and disposing of it. Then rake the cleaned soil lightly. Plant a winter cover crop to enrich the soil. Since OP does not list their Agricultural zone, I cannot suggest which cover crop, but google will help you with that.

If you practice good cleaning skills in your garden each year, you will exponentially
cut down on many garden pests.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:26 AM

15,503 posts, read 13,740,083 times
Without Sevin Dust we'd never have any zucchini. But how often do you apply it? it washes off when you water although hopefully stays in the soil at he base of the plant. Isn't that where the squash borer eggs are laid?
We have three growing zucchini on one plant, although I had to pollinate them by hand from a yellow squash in the same bed. I guess it will be a hybrid but they seem to be the same plant with color being the only difference.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:46 AM

Well here I am, still waging war!

No one could ever guess just how many squash bugs I have captured/killed, no idea. We won't even begin to discuss the thousands of eggs I've removed!

I have found that planting my squash up on the hill, where right above them are landscape timbers, and above that some mulch, both of which the squash bugs love to hide in, was not a good idea. I will not be planting squash up there again.

I cannot even fathom what my garden would look like if I hadn't been out almost every day searching for the bugs and their offspring. I can't imagine what the possibility for next years crop would be, or not be. I don't understand where the heck all these bugs have come from. I have done everything in my power to keep them from hatching, but the few that I must miss, boy, when they hatch, they are all over the leaves. It's so gross.

At this date I still see vine borer moths flying around looking to deposit their eggs. They are too fast to try to get, even with spray. I've taken out a bunch of larvae from the VBM and know there's more in the future.

I was out of town over night and you wouldn't believe how many eggs I came back to find!

I've also learned that they come out in droves when it rains or you water. I had to put on the sprinklers and it was like they all came out for a shower. I must have collected at least 50-60 squash bugs in just a few minutes.

Also, if you see a cluster of eggs, check other leaves close by. There usually will be another cluster around the same leaf.

When the heck does the season end for these darn bugs!?!

Ok...time to go back out to the garden.

Old Today, 09:23 PM

Default Squash Bug War of 2017

Noticed not only a squash bug on one of my squash plants, but on another, I found eggs! Almost the same time as last year! It's like clockwork with these darn pests!

I have 3 full raised beds with squash and one raised bed with 3 plants. The bug was in one bed, the eggs on a plant in another. Both of these beds have non-moschata in them. I think I'm not going to bother with non-moschata squash next year.

Anyone else have the squash bugs on their plants already?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden