U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2016, 11:18 AM

3,454 posts, read 4,547,926 times

Advertisements

The last 3 years I've had a vegetable garden and the biggest pest peeve I have is dealing with the squash vine borers. I planted early this year and thought I'd get a jump on them. Last year I noticed them in the middle of June. Two weeks ago my friend noticed some eggs on one of my squash plants, and thus, this years battle began. I'm having to check my plants just about every other day and every day I find more SVB eggs. I've managed to kill 2 of the borer moths, and I've gotten off hundreds of eggs already. Unfortunately today I noticed some frass on 2 of my squash plants and had to do surgery. Hoping I got them and will just keen eye on my plants.

What do you do to keep them at bay, and should your plants have eggs, how do you take them off and if you do see frass and have to do squash surgery, what do you do for that issue.

Just seeing what others do to help keep their plants alive. Personally, I just try to plant in a different location than last year to keep them at bay, and till my soil. If I get the eggs I have some of those sticky lint sheets that I remove them from the leaves with most of the time. I just cut a piece off and put it against the eggs and pull and squish, or sometimes I have to remove a small part of the leaf. If I know they've gotten in the base of the plant I have a very tiny crochet hook that I put in the hole and try to pull them out with, or at least make sure they get smushed inside and die.

Does anyone have a natural solution they use that works by spraying at the base of the plant???

Thanks in advance to all who chime in. Last year there were two rounds of the SVB moth I had to deal with. If I didn't have to keep an eye on this so often it would be so much easier to garden!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 10:12 AM

661 posts, read 456,151 times
Over the past 4 years, I've tried everything organic to stop squash vine borers - from traps, to handpicking, to surgery, to diatomaceous earth and everything else I could find on the internet. The only organic solutions are an enclosed greenhouse or not growing squash.

This year I checked for eggs every day and when I saw them, I sprayed with a home defense pesticide (surprisingly it had the same 2 ingredients recommended for SBV control by my extension office) carefully and only on the stems. For the first time in years, I'm actually getting to eat squash. I know there's some residue and it sucks to need to wash things grown at home, but I had enough years with no squash.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:51 PM

29,596 posts, read 50,945,603 times
I quit growing squash because I couldn't find an effective organic solution to the borer problem. When I was using chemicals, Sevin worked like a charm. Is that stuff even still available?

Old 06-08-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
Over the past 4 years, I've tried everything organic to stop squash vine borers - from traps, to handpicking, to surgery, to diatomaceous earth and everything else I could find on the internet. The only organic solutions are an enclosed greenhouse or not growing squash.

This year I checked for eggs every day and when I saw them, I sprayed with a home defense pesticide (surprisingly it had the same 2 ingredients recommended for SBV control by my extension office) carefully and only on the stems. For the first time in years, I'm actually getting to eat squash. I know there's some residue and it sucks to need to wash things grown at home, but I had enough years with no squash.

Interesting. So, any pest spray that you would use in the house would be safe to spray on the stems? Did you only spray the base of the stem where the borers bore holes, or the whole stem? If you are spraying the entire stem, what about doing it with a small sponge brush instead. I'm not sure if I could wrap my arms around the idea of spraying something I eat from my garden with the same spray I kill pest in my home with. Can you tell me what 2 ingredients your extension office recommended?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I quit growing squash because I couldn't find an effective organic solution to the borer problem. When I was using chemicals, Sevin worked like a charm. Is that stuff even still available?

I have Sevin dust in the powder form, and recently bought the liquid. My BF tells me to put it in a sock and shake it over my plants. I hate having to use stuff like that but may have to resort to something besides bending over and peering under plant leaves and in to stems. If I have to keep doing plant surgery I may need to don a surgical mask soon!

I didn't find any squash bugs or eggs today, but tomorrow is another day.

Thank you both for your input.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:55 AM

661 posts, read 456,151 times
The two ingredients are permethrin and bifenthrin. I really hated using them but anything you get from the grocery store is going to have it except it will be sprayed over the entire plant.

I chose to do the entire stem because if you look really closely you'll find that most of the eggs are near the base, but a few are scattered up and down the stem. I've also notices that the borers will dig and inch or two under the mulch to lay the eggs at the very base. The final spot where they lay eggs is at the base of the leaves. There's really no good way to spray these spots but you can usually pick off the entire leaf once it starts wilting before the borer makes it to the main stem.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
The two ingredients are permethrin and bifenthrin. I really hated using them but anything you get from the grocery store is going to have it except it will be sprayed over the entire plant.

I chose to do the entire stem because if you look really closely you'll find that most of the eggs are near the base, but a few are scattered up and down the stem. I've also notices that the borers will dig and inch or two under the mulch to lay the eggs at the very base. The final spot where they lay eggs is at the base of the leaves. There's really no good way to spray these spots but you can usually pick off the entire leaf once it starts wilting before the borer makes it to the main stem.
Thanks for the info, will look to see what mine has in it. I probably won't go that route, but was interested in knowing.

For me, the last 3 years I've had a garden, and growing squash, the SVB moth is depositing her eggs either on the top of the leaf, or underneath the leaf. Usually they are laid in a small cluster, but sometimes I see them a bit scattered in a looser pattern. I have only found them on the stem once, and it was this past week. It was like they were marching down the stem to the base of the plant I got the lint tape and off they went. I've only found a few at the base of a plant, but since I had to do surgery on 2 plants I know I missed some. This mornings quick check seems ok, but will check better later. From last year it seemed they came over a few weeks and then let off and resurfaced again. Just when you thought it was safe. Seems the South (I'm in SC) gets 2 waves of the SVB, lucky us

Old 06-09-2016, 06:32 AM

28,578 posts, read 35,680,447 times
I do not have an organic solution, but I may have a solution. This year, I have used Bayer systemic for Vegetables and Fruits in my garden. So far (its early yet) I do not have anything succumbing to either bug or disease.

It is a single treatment that lasts 3 months. You mix it with water and apply to the soil around the plants.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:30 AM

706 posts, read 253,626 times
Probably the best organic solution is also the most tedious. Physical barriers tend to work best if you don't want to spray anything. As long as the plants aren't put in areas where you had squash bugs in the last couple years, you can cover them with something like tulle fabric--that white gauzy stuff used on wedding dresses. Just weigh down the edges so nothing goes up under them.

Old 06-10-2016, 01:06 PM

62,641 posts, read 68,750,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
The last 3 years I've had a vegetable garden and the biggest pest peeve I have is dealing with the squash vine borers. I planted early this year and thought I'd get a jump on them. Last year I noticed them in the middle of June. Two weeks ago my friend noticed some eggs on one of my squash plants, and thus, this years battle began. I'm having to check my plants just about every other day and every day I find more SVB eggs. I've managed to kill 2 of the borer moths, and I've gotten off hundreds of eggs already. Unfortunately today I noticed some frass on 2 of my squash plants and had to do surgery. Hoping I got them and will just keen eye on my plants.

What do you do to keep them at bay, and should your plants have eggs, how do you take them off and if you do see frass and have to do squash surgery, what do you do for that issue.

Just seeing what others do to help keep their plants alive. Personally, I just try to plant in a different location than last year to keep them at bay, and till my soil. If I get the eggs I have some of those sticky lint sheets that I remove them from the leaves with most of the time. I just cut a piece off and put it against the eggs and pull and squish, or sometimes I have to remove a small part of the leaf. If I know they've gotten in the base of the plant I have a very tiny crochet hook that I put in the hole and try to pull them out with, or at least make sure they get smushed inside and die.

Does anyone have a natural solution they use that works by spraying at the base of the plant???

Thanks in advance to all who chime in. Last year there were two rounds of the SVB moth I had to deal with. If I didn't have to keep an eye on this so often it would be so much easier to garden!!!
don't have an answer because we don't have that problem, but we do have squash bugs period. The last few years I have lost all my plants to them.This year I have no alternative but to use seven dust. I am going to buy some Monday and hope like all get out it isn't too late.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:12 PM

18,953 posts, read 14,327,775 times
They are the spawn of satan.

Aaargh!! Squash Borers Again!

hope you find something that works, I had to give up on pumpkins because of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden