U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2016, 05:19 AM

64,969 posts, read 47,284,481 times

Advertisements

Could this be the beginning of the end? Sycamore Trees could be going extinct here? Should they be called "sickamore"?

I been in touch with the Connecticut Plant Pathologist and here's what he said...

" There are many factors can cause thin canopy in late spring/ early summer, such as trees might be weakened by drought stress in last season, some leaf buds might be damaged during the winter, cold spring temperature might delay leaf opening, and anthracnose (a fungal disease) can cause defoliation. Did you see lot of defoliation? If no leaf drops, environmental factors are possible main causing agents for thin canopies of sycamore trees. If you see fallen leaves, please send them to us for disease diagnoses "

I found there was leaf droppings. So I sent in a few for examination. Will get the results this week and post back.

6 pictures to show it's not just 1 or 2 trees, its area wide, they all look sick. Pics taken June 10, 2016

Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 05:20 AM

How do the Sycamore trees look in your area this year?

Old 06-13-2016, 07:14 AM

11,294 posts, read 16,389,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
How do the Sycamore trees look in your area this year?
Last I checked they looked much like those in your area, sparse, they never really got going this year.

Last year I remember a large Oak(?) tree around here looked the same way, but eventually it leafed out all the way in July and has been normal ever since.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:58 AM

330 posts, read 199,032 times
We traveled along 95 this weekend from Rte. 9 to Providence and back, and we noted widespread expanses of leafless or nearly leafless trees along the shoreline. The leaf canopy improved as we headed north on 9.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:25 AM

1,867 posts, read 1,039,463 times
We thought our sycamore was a goner too. A couple of years ago all it's leaves withered and died during the summer but all the other trees were doing fine.

But the year after that it came back and today it looks great.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:38 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,126,539 times
Here, in Dixie, the sycamores I've seen are lush and fragrant.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:40 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. Interesting.

Here is the reply back I got after I sent in the leaves for examination... Apparently they found a disease but made a conclusion it was the weather or drought last season that stressed them.

"Dear Mr. ___:

The sycamore samples that you sent to the Experiment Station have been examined for the presence of diseases. Upon examination, anthracnose was found on few leaves of the sample collected from ______ Ave., but no pathogens were found on the sample from _______ Street. Did you see a lot of early defoliation under those trees? Did you see full canopies of those trees in early spring? I saw many sycamore trees along roadsides had thin canopies, but I did not see much leaf falling. So, the results of examination and observations suggested that thin canopies on some sycamore trees were possibly because those trees did not leaf out this spring due to weather (drought last season and unusual winter temperatures) and tree conditions"

Sincerely,
Yonghao

Yonghao Li, PhD
Plant Pathologist
Dept. of Plant Pathology and Ecology
The Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station
123 Huntington St.
P. O. Box 1106
New Haven, CT 06504-1106

Old 06-18-2016, 07:16 PM

11,294 posts, read 16,389,783 times

I took this today, many of the Oaks have been exhibiting similar behavior, which makes me think it is drought related.
Attached Thumbnails
Sycamore Trees Looking Sick-image.jpeg  

Old 06-18-2016, 07:29 PM

7,243 posts, read 9,588,980 times
My silver maple looks awful with no visible signs of bugs or stress. An arborist who I ran into at the store suggested that the noreasters we experienced here both in the winter and early spring caused the trees to experience salt air burn, which has essentially dehydrated the leaves. He said as the above poster did that depending upon the year this year we would have no problem next spring. My drive to the beach is 2 miles but as the crow files it is shorter and the fog and low lying clouds kept the salt air hovering over the trees.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post

I took this today, many of the Oaks have been exhibiting similar behavior, which makes me think it is drought related.
What the heck? I like that look in June. lol All joking aside that to me isn't a sign of drought, that's gotta be a diseased type death? They look dead. Actually, looks like there are blossoms in the back there. That's yesterday?

It's not like we haven't gotten rain. The over rated drought status for our area just means below normal precip, not California bone dry for long periods. In fact the area was never in extreme drought status and only short time in moderate.

I think the drought would cause stress, but not fully kill them unless it was too dry for years. The rings on the trees would be very tight.

Here's Long Island's precip graph past 1 yr. Over 40 inches of precip. Below the 50" normal but it has rained a lot. We were out of drought status over winter, now back in.

Questions:

Were there buds on them?
Any leaf drops you can send in for examination?
Were they full last year?
I rarely see Oaks like that especially on more than 1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or