U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 11:25 AM

4,316 posts, read 2,292,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that the Honda cannot be pulled, the rear wheel drive locks and you literally have to drag it backwards, rear wheel s not turning!!! I could not be more dis satisfied with my decision to move up to the 'great honda'. makes all the positive s on this thread meaningless if you can't pull a dam simple walk behind mower.
thanks........I never knew that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 11:33 AM

796 posts, read 1,268,576 times
it's the truth too, a terrible design flaw by Honda and they don't have a solution to it. on a front wheel drive, simply lean on the handle and pull it out, impossible with Honda. you'll drag with fullest resistance.
POS

Old 04-28-2017, 11:36 AM

4,316 posts, read 2,292,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
From my own background, anything but Sears. I had a very nice Sears Craftsman that I bought new in 2012. Almost immediately the front drive axle broke loose due to cheap plastic mounts for the wheels. Fixed it, then back one broke. Then this and that. It "looked" tough, but underneath, it was all just cheap plastic parts. Threw it out three years after buying it and bought a Toro that has been very good. I will never buy anything from Sears again, period. Retailer just needs to go ahead and nosecone in the dirt. Blowers with bad bearings, shop vacs that lasted two years (same bad bearings), weedwacker that seized up, and on and on.
I agree about Sears !

A few years back in February, they had an ad in the newspaper of a sale on......."Our most popular mower".. lawn tractor

I bought it and after a year the drive belt broke and went back to Sears upset.
I was told drive belt was the part most frequently replaced.
However, despite stocking parts, they did not stock the part that gets replaced the most often on their most popular mower.

I ordered it and a week later the wrong part arrived......it was a shield
and not even a belt.
3 weeks to finally get a belt while my one year old mower sat idled and I had to borrow my sister's mower twice as it was peak mowing season.

Go broke, Sears.
I couldm't care less if you did !

Old 04-28-2017, 11:45 AM

25,514 posts, read 60,960,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
Yep, I used to have the false impression that mulching is bad for the lawn, much akin to leaving huge swaths of cuttings on it will block sunlight.

The properly mulched detritus fall between the stalks and ferment there, providing more nourishment for the soil.

----------------------

There must be many other threads hereabouts regarding the mulching of leaves in the Fall, so I won't go into the details here about how fantastic that has been here.
I do find that if the grass is tal so you are cutting more than you are leaving, you often have to go back over it a couple of times to chop it up and spread it out enough to settle in, especially with a little walking/push mower.

Old 04-28-2017, 02:02 PM

13,675 posts, read 43,622,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
From my own background, anything but Sears. I had a very nice Sears Craftsman that I bought new in 2012. Almost immediately the front drive axle broke loose due to cheap plastic mounts for the wheels. Fixed it, then back one broke. Then this and that. It "looked" tough, but underneath, it was all just cheap plastic parts. Threw it out three years after buying it and bought a Toro that has been very good. I will never buy anything from Sears again, period. Retailer just needs to go ahead and nosecone in the dirt. Blowers with bad bearings, shop vacs that lasted two years (same bad bearings), weedwacker that seized up, and on and on.
Yeah, even back in the early 80's, I got a "deal" on a Craftsman "buzz" saw (what's the right name for these - a regular carpenter's rotary electric saw...) - anyway the blade was wobbling after using it for the first real project, turns out it had a nylon bushing supporting the blade where a Skil or similar would have a ball bearing...Sears would give me a new bushing for free, but it was just junk from the get-go. I think I put a new bushing in it and gave it to a girlfriend who would never use it much. It was OK for very occasional use. Shame really because the motor, etc. were at least OK.

Sears is worse now, of course. Don't get me started on what they have done with Craftsman tools (mechanic's tools).

Old 04-28-2017, 06:55 PM

5,599 posts, read 12,317,840 times
Quote:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that the Honda cannot be pulled, the rear wheel drive locks and you literally have to drag it backwards,
PURE BS!. I've owned a Honda mower for over 30 years and none I've ever used had the rear wheels lock up. They have ratchets on the rear wheels that allow it to move backwards, unless you're a complete moron and don't turn loose of the forward drive. Sometimes you just have to be smarter than the mower.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:11 PM

796 posts, read 1,268,576 times
Google it, moron yerself.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:27 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 1,903,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
PURE BS!. I've owned a Honda mower for over 30 years and none I've ever used had the rear wheels lock up. They have ratchets on the rear wheels that allow it to move backwards, unless you're a complete moron and don't turn loose of the forward drive. Sometimes you just have to be smarter than the mower.
The one we just got won't let the mower be pulled backwards....even letting go of the self propelled levers. I can drag it back but it sure as heck isn't rolling back. Burr is correct.

I'm still young enough and strong enough to drag it back, when I can't anymore... I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Old 04-29-2017, 01:34 PM

912 posts, read 349,150 times
Another crazy fact about owning a Honda, if you ever want to sell it, you will get many calls!

Old 04-29-2017, 03:19 PM

7,227 posts, read 6,180,380 times
This is a good deal... I know craftsman get a bad rap but its mostly undeserved... This mower has a better build quality than a john Deere d130 and a transmission that is more capable than the tuff torq k58 found on the x320 series... Good basic mower for $1100 plus shipping/tax and the mulch kit addon which isn't pricy.

Sears.com

You also get $111+ in points for a future purchase.

Eventually variations of this transmission will replace hydrostatics I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or