Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 08:15 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Haha, Cambium, I am glad I am not the only person who did this. I watch my neighbor use his RIDING MOWER with a bagger and giggle as I watch him stop, remove the bag, dump it, put it back on, and restart. The truly odd thing is that he is a lawn nut: a giant expanse of dark green, weedless lawn that he lovingly fertilizes regularly and mows 1-2 times/week in the summer. Why not leave very finely-mulched grass on it and feed that lawn naturally? Go figure.
Especially when a mulching kit for most riders costs about 40 to 50 dollars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 09:50 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,012,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Good advice. I also discovered the joy of large rear wheels when I bought the crummy Craftsman (that is still running, BTW). Too bad it doesn't have the power to cut my large, bumpy, overgrown backyard. LOL
My old Craftsman mower is my "ditch and woods mower" now. I don't care if it hits a brick, or whatever. In fact it has, and I just replaced the shear pin and it's still good today.

It's always good to keep a trashy old mower around for those special jobs that you can't chance damaging your GOOD mower with.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:14 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
My old Craftsman mower is my "ditch and woods mower" now. I don't care if it hits a brick, or whatever. In fact it has, and I just replaced the shear pin and it's still good today.

It's always good to keep a trashy old mower around for those special jobs that you can't chance damaging your GOOD mower with.
I do not bother with a "good" mower. I just have one. It does the woods, grass, rocks, everything. It it hits something, I pull the blade off and grind out any dings or hammer out and bends. A littl secrete about expensive and inexpensive mowers, there is no high technology. They are all pretty much a spinning blade with a motor and wheels. Some might be a tad bit easier to adjust mowing height. Big rear wheels are important cheap or pricey. Not much else matters, The rest is just marketing playing with your mind.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:33 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
I have a "real" Troy-Bilt from about 1991, Bolens are the same, if you can find one of these used, what can I say, mine has served me well for 26 seasons and still is about as good as it was new. Not quite as shiny, but works just as well. This is a product of the old Garden Way company, which went bankrupt in 2001.

A note. Tecumseh engines went bankrupt several years ago, so if you find a used mower with this brand engine, realize it may be tough to get parts if it needs any. I did hit a stump with mine, several years ago, and needed a new crankshaft and con rod. Not sure you can get those parts anymore, although of course if you scout around you can find almost anything.

I gather from this thread that the best current production mulcher is from Honda. Thanks for that info.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:56 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
Just bought a Honda mower a couple of days ago. Thanks for this thread. It certainly was timely.

Love the mulching blades, you can't see any clippings laying on top of the grass.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:12 AM

5,535 posts, read 7,105,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Love the mulching blades, you can't see any clippings laying on top of the grass.
Yep, I used to have the false impression that mulching is bad for the lawn, much akin to leaving huge swaths of cuttings on it will block sunlight.

The properly mulched detritus fall between the stalks and ferment there, providing more nourishment for the soil.

----------------------

There must be many other threads hereabouts regarding the mulching of leaves in the Fall, so I won't go into the details here about how fantastic that has been here.

Last edited by Tantalust; 04-28-2017 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: I forget.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:24 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,890 times
From my own background, anything but Sears. I had a very nice Sears Craftsman that I bought new in 2012. Almost immediately the front drive axle broke loose due to cheap plastic mounts for the wheels. Fixed it, then back one broke. Then this and that. It "looked" tough, but underneath, it was all just cheap plastic parts. Threw it out three years after buying it and bought a Toro that has been very good. I will never buy anything from Sears again, period. Retailer just needs to go ahead and nosecone in the dirt. Blowers with bad bearings, shop vacs that lasted two years (same bad bearings), weedwacker that seized up, and on and on.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:00 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
many mowers are listed that it can do all 3.........side discharge, rear bag, mulch.

However, I mulch so when I buy a push mower I always wasn't the motor to be bigger on the mulcher than a regular side discharge ( based on similar cutting widths)

Takes more power to mulch than to side discharge.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:42 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
Yep, I used to have the false impression that mulching is bad for the lawn, much akin to leaving huge swaths of cuttings on it will block sunlight.

The properly mulched detritus fall between the stalks and ferment there, providing more nourishment for the soil.

----------------------

There must be many other threads hereabouts regarding the mulching of leaves in the Fall, so I won't go into the details here about how fantastic that has been here.
Fall doesn't really happen where I am.

There are a couple of trees that aren't palm trees but the wind direction has the sea breeze blowing them away from my yard. The few stragglers will get mulched nicely.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:22 AM

935 posts, read 1,648,135 times
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that the Honda cannot be pulled, the rear wheel drive locks and you literally have to drag it backwards, rear wheel s not turning!!! I could not be more dis satisfied with my decision to move up to the 'great honda'. makes all the positive s on this thread meaningless if you can't pull a dam simple walk behind mower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden