U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 05:12 AM

9,409 posts, read 5,202,941 times

Advertisements

I'm so done with this. A tree arbor guy said my spraying time was off which resulted in bugs killing the fruit. So I took his advice and sprayed after half the blossom petals have dropped, then a few weeks later as the fruit was just starting the form. But the same results occurred. On both my peach and pear trees the fruit gets about marble size, then they drop to the ground. It can't be a lack of rain, we had one of the wettest late springs ever in the Mid Atlantic.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 05:35 AM

34,531 posts, read 42,694,765 times
I am having the same problem with citrus this year, after a great crop last year, all the fruit dropped off. Do you tend to get a good outcome every other year? Maybe you are not doing anything wrong.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:08 AM

671 posts, read 1,467,461 times
Rain & wind too much can harm the fruits on trees, too.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:19 AM

2,189 posts, read 986,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I'm so done with this. A tree arbor guy said my spraying time was off which resulted in bugs killing the fruit. So I took his advice and sprayed after half the blossom petals have dropped, then a few weeks later as the fruit was just starting the form. But the same results occurred. On both my peach and pear trees the fruit gets about marble size, then they drop to the ground. It can't be a lack of rain, we had one of the wettest late springs ever in the Mid Atlantic.

Any ideas?
From what I have read, last years drought is playing havoc with many trees and bushes this year. I have a climbing hydrangea that has never given me a lick of trouble in the past ten years. This year the entire top of the bush is looking terrible. Flowers would set, and in a blink off an eye would die. Many of my perennials are also stunted this year. Many plants that would normally grow above six feet have stopped growing at the four foot mark.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:23 AM

Thanks for the replies. The new peach tree of last year, which produced a few in it's first year, didn't even produce a small fruit. The new one had a lot, then they dropped. But the asian pear has done this every year and we are in year 12. I was hoping the timing of the spray from 2 springs ago, repeated this year, spring would change that but nope. So something's terribly terribly wrong.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,386 posts, read 50,562,503 times
If there were still blossoms when you sprayed, the chances of bees pollinating them are greatly reduced.mi would neve spray until the fruit has set. Small fruit dropping off is almost always lack of pollination.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:57 PM

32,106 posts, read 39,155,933 times
Many trees also have a fruit drop after fruit formation for a number of reasons including having too many. Younger trees are prone to do it.

Shedding Light on Fruit Drop - Stark Bro's

Old 06-19-2016, 02:40 PM

2,903 posts, read 1,344,207 times
AKA, "June Drop" in the PNW.
IMO, pollination, weather related, and ability of tree to support the amount of fruit.

Old 06-19-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
If there were still blossoms when you sprayed, the chances of bees pollinating them are greatly reduced.mi would neve spray until the fruit has set. Small fruit dropping off is almost always lack of pollination.
Yeah I thought about that but the arborist said plenty of blossums will have polinated by then and the tiny fruit needs protection as this is the most vulnerable stage. But how would small fruit dropping be a lack of pollination? The fruit comes from pollination so these little guys have already been pollinated right?

Imdid read where fruit dropping is a normal way of culling the fruit, partilarly in young trees. But they shouldn't all drop and the pear is over a decade old.

Old 06-19-2016, 03:12 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,403,963 times
They have slippery fingers?

Badum pum! Just kidding. I don't spray my peaches or pears, and I thin the fruit. Yes some of them do fall off if I don't thin. Maybe you need to thin the fruit and also feed the trees to give them some more energy to carry the fruit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden