Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 11:48 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,315,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I have a suggestion. Since you say the ground is hard to dig in that area, how about building a raised bed? That would make the growing surface on your side higher, which would get the plant(s) you choose to be higher, faster. Also, you would not be limited to what can grow in a pot. I lived in west Austin for a while, and because the ground is so full of limestone, everyone had raised beds. You can make them just a few inches tall, but you can also make them a few feet tall, depending on how much soil you want to bring in. You have control over the type of soil, and they can be easier to care for, since they are higher. There are lots of ways to build them, from wood to rocks, to bricks or blocks, etc.
Now you got me thinking.. hmmm I built a raised bed around my tree and the roots still took over. The only plants surviving is the ground cover I planted.
But.. I think if I were to build a high raised bed with ground covering maybe those roots wouldn't be able to get through it. I'll have to look and see what's best to use for that. Good thinkin' Grasshopper!

I think I will go with a deep raised bed all along the fence line. It would be nice to just be able to plant some annuals or perennials in some areas just for color too. I think it would look pretty too.

For now though, I'm going to plant the bean runner seeds that my neighbor gave me and plant them in a container and see how they do.

I plan on picking up a climbing rose later today but I'm going to put it in a container so if doesn't do well in that spot I can always move it.

As for the rest of what was suggested here, I'm still looking into them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 07:32 AM

24 posts, read 20,439 times
Hi Elliedeee,

Sorry! I was on vacation and didn't see that you replied. My blackberries are growing in a part of the yard where nothing had grown. It is a northeastern exposure, shaded by a tall fence, and gets no morning sun and very little afternoon sun. Everything there usually gets eaten by slugs. The blackberry, however, is growing by leaps and bounds and has four runner plants already (second year growth). That said, I did have a compost pile there for years before I put this guy in and no doubt that has helped. But, from what I have read, blackberries are prolific and will grow in suboptimal conditions.

Good luck!!

Old 07-08-2016, 08:19 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,148,005 times
I'd build a very small raised bed (maybe 2' x 2' x 6" tall) and plant a grape vine. That what I did to keep my neighbors pit bulls from watching my kids. I'd love to trade the pits for a nosy neighbor.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:08 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,612,989 times
You could find some mannequins and remove their clothes and put them in an adult situation to make it appear as if they are making more mannequins - that MIGHT stop 'Wilson' (Tool Time Neighbor)... set up a recorder to catch the 'OMG!'s you'll hear... and, it MIGHT make America's Funniest Videos... I only want a 10% cut...

Old 07-13-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
What's wrong with just talking to the poor guy? It sounds like he's lonely.
Wow. A sensible, kind hearted, humanitarian reply...
I'd still stick with the water pistol or the mannequins ... but, it is nice to see some human kindness...

Old 07-13-2016, 08:19 AM

Wow... the borrowing of the air compressor would send me through the roof... Let alone the weight thing... I think he'd be in need of some serious dental insurance if he were my neighbor... We'd have words once... after that, POW, Right in the kisser!

I can certainly understand your displeasure.... without question.

Here's a thought. The next time one of your things goes missing, call the police. And when they show up, look over in your neighbors garage and say, 'THAT appears to be my compressor'... have the police go over there and retrieve it.... The downside to that is the fact that the police have much better things to do than to settle neighbors 'borrowing' property that isn't theirs... but, it may work?

Old 07-13-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
Wow... the borrowing of the air compressor would send me through the roof... Let alone the weight thing... I think he'd be in need of some serious dental insurance if he were my neighbor... We'd have words once... after that, POW, Right in the kisser!

I can certainly understand your displeasure.... without question.

Here's a thought. The next time one of your things goes missing, call the police. And when they show up, look over in your neighbors garage and say, 'THAT appears to be my compressor'... have the police go over there and retrieve it.... The downside to that is the fact that the police have much better things to do than to settle neighbors 'borrowing' property that isn't theirs... but, it may work?
He IS the police.

Now you see my dilemma. I don't want to make it obvious that I'm trying to keep his prying eyes out of my yard. I also don't want to **** him off by saying something.
We do talk to him. He has friends, a wife, kids, grandkids. He shouldn't be lonely.
He's just always got an opinion on how we should do things so I try to avoid him.

Last week he came over to tell me that an animal or wind had knocked over a garbage pail on the side of my house. okay, that's nice to know but I would have seen it when I opened the door. The thing is... the way the houses are laid out on an angle he can't even see that side of my house unless he walks halfway up my side walkway. So wtf is he doing inspecting my property? grrrr..

Last edited by elliedeee; 07-13-2016 at 08:39 AM..

Old 07-13-2016, 10:04 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
[quote=Tumf;44741708]Wow. A sensible, kind hearted, humanitarian reply...
I'd still stick with the water pistol or the mannequins ... but, it is nice to see some human kindness...

Thank you so much. Maybe he has some psych issues? Helping yourself to your neighbors things without asking is over the top wrong.

I would still talk to him personally about his behavior and keep my garage door closed and locked.

We have two neighbors that just can't seem to get it together and they have a six foot fence between them. That seems to be working.

In addition to the six foot fence I would build some kind of an eight foot arbor and plant something that would grow to the top. I would also put a decorative iron fence around the front of the property.

Sometimes fences make the best neighbors.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:09 AM

[quote=animalcrazy;44743312Sometimes fences make the best neighbors.[/quote]
That's VERY true... but it seems she already HAS a fence...
We just put up a 6 foot vinyl fence (215 linear feet of it) and WOW... what a difference THAT made!
The next door neighbor kids don't come into our back yard anymore - or press their little faces upon the back door glass at all hours of the day...

Old 07-13-2016, 11:27 AM

Our fence was fine until he added pavers to his yard which made his property a foot higher. Now he doesn't even have to stand on his tippy toes to peek over.

I've never had a neighbor who had such a sense of entitlement and lacked boundaries before. We just kind of shake our heads at some of things he does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden