U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 09:04 AM

7,179 posts, read 7,699,622 times

Advertisements

I have deer on my property from September through May or early June. I've counted as many as sixty at a time from my house. I have never seen one drag anything. I'd wager that humans are the problem. They steal what they want and destroy what they don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 09:08 AM

20,432 posts, read 29,748,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molah View Post
I am disappointed this morning when I came outside to water my pepper plants in my backyard they were missing as if someone dugged them up yesterday. We are on the outskirts of the city but not the country. Do people really steal vegetable plants? My tomato plant's top limb was cut off but I didnt notice it until today. I have to protect my other plants from the "plant thief".
Welcome to life with animals!

We no longer even TRY to grow vegetables anymore...

Old 06-22-2016, 09:10 AM

4,599 posts, read 2,627,451 times
Get a game camera and set it up, facing your plants.

I have one and have seen coyotes, deer, groundhogs, and people in my yard in the middle of the night. The people were my neighbors...one neighborhood girl with her boyfriend taking a shortcut to the girl's house, another neighbor walking the perimeter of his yard, coming into mine briefly, turning, and going back into his yard. It's interesting! I highly recommend!

Old 06-22-2016, 09:28 AM

2,013 posts, read 2,432,057 times
Bet it was a squirrel. They dig my plants up regularly. Hate them.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:05 PM

21,887 posts, read 41,819,253 times
People do...

I gave my Grandmother a beautiful Cymbidium Orchid for her 80th birthday and she kept it on her front porch... it really was stunning until one morning plant and all was gone.

Mom has firewood neatly stacked behind her home and about half the stack was taken.

I had two flower boxes attached to a second floor balcony with very nice silk flowers that many had commented on... sure enough, both were taken.

Another friend had many plants on her patio grown from cuttings... they to were taken...

All of the above happened in the SF Bay Area.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:10 PM

126 posts, read 62,295 times
Same thing happened to my grandmother years ago. New potted flowers on her front porch. Came out the next morning and it was all taken. This was Jacksonville Fl.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:29 PM

1,051 posts, read 409,482 times
My neighborhood is the complete opposite. I receive gifts every morning, which looks and smells just like doggy doo.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:44 PM

2,374 posts, read 954,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
My neighborhood is the complete opposite. I receive gifts every morning, which looks and smells just like doggy doo.
Sorry, LIcenter, your post made me laugh out loud! Rep points for you! (As soon as my 24 hours of Limbo have passed and I can give Rep out again. What IS it with that rule about too much Rep? Well, that's a topic for another forum, I know.)

Old 06-22-2016, 12:46 PM

2,374 posts, read 954,156 times
Makes me hope there is a special thorny, bug-ridden hell for people who steal other people's plants. And lots of poison ivy in it, too!

Old 06-22-2016, 12:52 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,342,843 times
Chipmunks will uproot plants too.

Not to say people won't steal your plants, or your planters! I bought a Power Wheels that didn't work, no battery, was missing the headlights, the windshield was broken. It was a cute little jalopy. I took a milk crate and planted some flowers in it and wedged it where the seat was and also planted them in the trundle seat. Put solar lights on the front for the head lights. Was really cute and put it out in my front yard, obviously, too close to the street. One morning I come out, it was gone, but the idiots left the milk crate and all the plants. Really?!? Someone had driven by and came back for it, and I live on a cul de sac, on a very quiet street.

Somewhere, out there, someone has my car!!!!' If you've seen this car driving on 85 in SC, or thereabouts, let me know!!!

My parents had a concrete base with a concrete statue on sitting on the top of it on their front porch in SoFla. One day my Mom looked out the kitchen window and saw a guy walking off with the statue.

Really people - things are that bad that you have to steal stuff from people's yards
Attached Thumbnails
Stolen garden plants-397.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden