U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 01:34 PM

26,948 posts, read 31,569,335 times

Advertisements

What I found out when I started a similar thread last year:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/43476949-post13.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 01:55 PM

22,127 posts, read 42,507,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
It's gotta be an oldie! It even has real metal for the flip down windshield.
I've got the next size version... a 1938 Bantam Roadster.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...mpg-uc2623.jpg

Old 06-24-2016, 02:26 PM

4,634 posts, read 2,734,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
let me tell ya my mother used to keep a potatoe gun (illegal now ) .
What?! Since when are potato guns illegal? I'll have to see if that is true here as well...

My kids sure had fun with those things...

Old 06-24-2016, 09:20 PM

32,490 posts, read 24,875,073 times
Our solution for stolen plants: Let the neighbors know we were willing to share.

We had a house with a massive rose garden. People would snap off flowers which wasn't good for the bush. We put the word out that if anyone wanted a rose...all they had to do was come to the door and ask. I kept the clippers handy. When someone asked for a rose we'd tell them to pick the ones(s) they wanted and we'd cut it and give it to them. People, especially kids, loved being able to choose which flower they wanted. We also noticed people coming into the yard to pose in front of our roses for photos. We put a large stepping stone at the front of the garden (nearest the street), and people caught on. Those roses were the background for a lot of family photos. Graduation time was especially busy.

We also shared plumeria cuttings and gave away dozens and dozens of bulbs, avocados and oranges.

After we started doing that....we never had anything stolen, ripped off or taken without permission. The word was out....if our garden was damaged, everyone lost out. Our garden was the source for a lot of goodwill. Lol....the gangbangers, who would ask for roses for their grandmothers, waved when we drove by.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:38 PM

5,386 posts, read 4,243,998 times
A few years ago, some people (two women and a bunch of small children), local Section 8's, came with a wagon in broad daylight and stripped my neighbor's garden of his vegetables...not plants, just the vegetables. They were spotted and reported to the police by some vigilant neghbors and arrested...but they said they thought it was a "food bank" garden. Stripped it. And he always donated a lot of his veggies to the local food bank. He still grows a garden, but I wonder if he still donates anything. I wouldn't.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:34 PM

17,106 posts, read 16,502,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
What a cute little car. Not plants, but I saw a car stop while the parent sent their child out to steal my son's large metal Tonka dump truck that had been left in our sand pile.

I've seen that at a rental house, too, Parents sending their child out of their car to steal a toy that was left outside.

I haven't had complete plants taken, but I had someone cut and take all of my stargazer lily flowers and several times had people come inside my fence to steal fruit.

Every year, the local news shows security camera footage of people stealing Christmas decorations off of lawns. They take potted plants, too.

I think that the thing is that none of that can be left in the front yard. Since I've had thefts from inside a tall fence, it appears that you must lock gates if you have cute ornaments or potted plants in your back yard.
Wow. Nothing like teaching your kids to steal. My family lived in a very mixed neighborhood until I was 12. Not all of the poor people were thieves, but some of them were. If you wanted to continue to own something, you put it away.

Old 06-25-2016, 03:43 AM

1,148 posts, read 451,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I've got the next size version... a 1938 Bantam Roadster.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...mpg-uc2623.jpg
Very pretty! My thought was, maybe an M G roadster,but all their hoods vented from the sides. The horn is on the right, which makes me think it is replicating some type of british auto.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:18 AM

22,127 posts, read 42,507,506 times
If anyone knows who made the toy car that was taken I would like to know...

Old 06-25-2016, 01:07 PM

16,563 posts, read 18,696,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Wow. Nothing like teaching your kids to steal. My family lived in a very mixed neighborhood until I was 12. Not all of the poor people were thieves, but some of them were. If you wanted to continue to own something, you put it away.
These toy car thieves weren't poor people. One was a very well known horse trainer who kept her expensive horses around the corner and had her name on her vanity license plate on her brand new pickup truck. The other was foster parents sending a foster child out to steal a small toy.

Old 06-25-2016, 01:16 PM

33,371 posts, read 30,402,058 times
We have a tractor tire in our side yard that the previous owners used as a planter.
I hate that stupid thing and I am willing to pay someone a good amount to steal it......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden