U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2016, 03:23 PM

445 posts, read 258,675 times

Advertisements

I have a JD L130 tractor with a 48" mower deck. I've been having issues with the deck getting clogged up with grass. The first time it happened I thought it was because I mowed the lawn when it was kind of tall and a little bit wet. I cleaned it out really well. The next time I mowed the lawn I had the same issue, and the grass was much shorter and it wasn't wet at all. I took it off again today and cleaned it. I noticed the inside of the deck was looking like it was rusting a bit, and most of the paint was worn off. Here is a pic of the deck before cleaning

Would repainting the inside of the deck help with this issue? Its a pain in the butt taking the deck off and cleaning it. It still mows OK when its dirty like shown in the picture, but it mows a lot better when its nice and clean.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 07:23 PM

16,851 posts, read 51,316,975 times
Order a quart of this stuff: CLEAN DECK - Graphite Undercoating - Wilmar Graphite Company When it arrives, clean, sand and prep the underside of the deck and paint it on. At the same time you order the paint, get a deck wash kit. https://www.amazon.com/490-900-0025-.../dp/B0009MFX9M After each mow, hose up the deck wash port and get things all nice and clean under there. While you are fiddling cleaning, check the alignment of those anti-scalp wheels. It may just be the photo, but one looks a little canted. (I'm assuming your mandrils are still in good condition.)

Old 06-23-2016, 07:28 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,392 posts, read 50,582,032 times
You can prevent rust by hosing it clean every time and then storing in a dry place, but my suggestion is to sand and paint it, then spray or roll/brush with truck bed liner. I have a smaller mower that eventually rusted out in places from mowing wet grass (9 months of the year here) and I had to fabricate new metal for it.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:34 PM

20,344 posts, read 20,428,723 times
how sharp are your blades and/or when was the last time you replaced them? I have a 48" deck on my X320 (tho with a power flo) and notice it makes a world of difference when I change the blades.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:46 AM

445 posts, read 258,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
how sharp are your blades and/or when was the last time you replaced them? I have a 48" deck on my X320 (tho with a power flo) and notice it makes a world of difference when I change the blades.
Very recently. I will look into refinishing the inside of the deck.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:09 AM

2,189 posts, read 987,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpounder View Post
Very recently. I will look into refinishing the inside of the deck.
Also make sure your blades are not installed upside down. It will throw all the grass up into the deck if they are installed wrong.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:24 PM

13,141 posts, read 10,568,819 times
You can also try simply cleaning it good, letting it dry, and then spraying with a spray silicon like: https://www.zoro.com/pyroil-silicone...4O7w&gclsrc=ds. I love spray silicon for snow blades, snow thrower chutes, and snow shovels.

There is a chance with the under-coater that it might hide and enable rust.

PS On the left side of that deck are you missing a piece of metal that is used to improve the lift of the grass? The right side seems cleaner than the left and it looks like holes on the leading front edge of the deck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden