U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 03:31 PM

336 posts, read 241,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
You do understand that it is normally around 3-5 inches tall, right?

Yes, you can clip it to shorter than that, but I don't know why you'd want to! One of the main points of a ground cover planting is to avoid the frequent maintenance required by grass.
Yeah 3-5 inches is fine. I just have this small space between my neighbors driveway and my house and i didn't want to plant anything too big to be rude. I suppose if i clip it every now and again it shouldn't grow too wild.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 09:15 PM

4,748 posts, read 6,146,270 times
I LOL'ed when I saw the term "leggy" being applied to 'Burgundy Glow' ajuga.

The only thing that could remotely be called "leggy" about this plant (and this would be remote) would be the flower stalks, but the 3-5 inches really only applies to the flower stalks, which appear in spring and are absolutely gorgeous. When they are finished blooming they are still pretty because of their form (if you ever seen one you will understand), but I think it may be best to cut them down as soon as the blue flowers are gone because I've found a lot of seedlings in my beds that do not look like their parents....although I do have the plain green in shade/purple in sun kind around also, so maybe that's where those are coming from.

BG ajuga is one of my most favorite plants of all time. It's the greatest ground cover ever, where it's happy. I have it in several spots all around my yard. It spreads nicely but not aggressively and is easy to just pull up if it spreads where you don't want it. Then you can put the pulled-up plants somewhere else!

Seriously, do a google images search so you will get a better idea of exactly how these things grow. Be sure to put the Burgundy Glow part in there, because there are several different kinds of ajuga.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:47 AM

6,474 posts, read 13,406,838 times
Ajuga may be invasive and best in a pot. Would you consider these?:
asarum canadense christmas fern (well-drained acid soil)
ostrich fern persicaria virginiana (lots of cultivars)
Hayes starburst hydrangea
Heuchera americana (marvelous marble?)

If you have sun and the area is reasonably moist, you may want to consider:
Thuja occidentalis (cultivars such as pancake, mr. bowling ball, fire chief, danica, anna's magic ball)

This grows for me in both somewhat moist soil and well-drained soil in full sun and part afternoon sun. Supposedly it likes full sun and well drained soil:
Phlox subulata

Old 06-28-2016, 08:04 AM

336 posts, read 241,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I LOL'ed when I saw the term "leggy" being applied to 'Burgundy Glow' ajuga.

The only thing that could remotely be called "leggy" about this plant (and this would be remote) would be the flower stalks, but the 3-5 inches really only applies to the flower stalks, which appear in spring and are absolutely gorgeous. When they are finished blooming they are still pretty because of their form (if you ever seen one you will understand), but I think it may be best to cut them down as soon as the blue flowers are gone because I've found a lot of seedlings in my beds that do not look like their parents....although I do have the plain green in shade/purple in sun kind around also, so maybe that's where those are coming from.

BG ajuga is one of my most favorite plants of all time. It's the greatest ground cover ever, where it's happy. I have it in several spots all around my yard. It spreads nicely but not aggressively and is easy to just pull up if it spreads where you don't want it. Then you can put the pulled-up plants somewhere else!

Seriously, do a google images search so you will get a better idea of exactly how these things grow. Be sure to put the Burgundy Glow part in there, because there are several different kinds of ajuga.
Thanks! This made me feel much better about planting!

Old 06-30-2016, 11:16 AM

4,748 posts, read 6,146,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Ajuga may be invasive and best in a pot.
The old kind, the kind that is purple in sun but plain green in shade, can be sort of invasive. But my 'Burgundy Glow' has spread nicely without being invasive at all. It's the greatest plant....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or