U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 12:06 PM

69,297 posts, read 79,469,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Even that depends. Poke around gently with a finger to find the roots. People that water frequently but not for long, and/or have hard soil could have healthy looking plants but the roots may be in the top 2-3" below the soil. Those that water deep, less frequently, and/or have good soil may find them going down 6-12". Your moisture meter needs to be inserted to where the roots are.
I do use the finger method; If the dirt is moist down lower I will wait a day to water. BTW: we have a beautiful day here, so I watered this morning; well, as always happens when you have your car washed, it decided to pour down off and on for a couple of hours. At least I know my plants are not thirsty if they were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 07:15 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,400 posts, read 50,602,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I do use the finger method; If the dirt is moist down lower I will wait a day to water. BTW: we have a beautiful day here, so I watered this morning; well, as always happens when you have your car washed, it decided to pour down off and on for a couple of hours. At least I know my plants are not thirsty if they were.
You would actually need several hours of steady downpour for enough water to reach the roots. Typical rain is not really enough for them. Sometimes I feel silly watering in the rain but we mostly get a light mist, which doesn't do much good.

Old 07-02-2016, 03:34 PM

64,997 posts, read 47,321,826 times
The finger rule of thumb is ok but Tomato roots like to go deep. I see 3 issues with the finger rule.

1. The roots will not go deep to create a strong plant (They stay closer to surface)
2. Bottom of soil may always stay dry so the plant tolerates dry conditions less since it's used to getting water for top 2-3 inches only. (instead of going deep looking for water)
3. The leaves will get yellow from below 2 inches never being able to dry out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynorbust View Post
My giant tomatoes are going good being watered every 2 days or so. I am going away for 6 days this week. Will have someone water. Whats the advice?
Who knows what you chose to do but before you left I would of given them a "deep" long watering. Being our weather is April like today you wouldn't have to water for couple days. We had downpours last night so that would of extended it even more.

Are they in a pot or in ground? In Full sun or part? HUGE differences!

I almost learned to go as far as seeing them start to look weak and wilt. Let them drink and they always come back.

80s in forecast this week and 90s towards end of week. I would of told someone to come by and water it 2 times. Tuesday and Thursday. Deep watering

Old 07-04-2016, 07:33 AM

7,843 posts, read 11,143,137 times
As the tomatoes start to develop you don't want to overwater, you'll lose the flavor. They will be huge, very moist, flavorless tomatoes.

Depending on timing etc. it can reduce yield. Better flavor or more tomatoes? Also, overwater can cause other problems. Consistant water, diminishing a little after tomatoes start to develop is probably a safe way.

http://www.growingformarket.com/arti...-tomato-flavor

Last edited by Giesela; 07-04-2016 at 07:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or