Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2016, 07:20 PM

392 posts, read 751,723 times

Advertisements

I think I am experiencing a new problem with our tomatoes. Some leaves curl and decay turning black in color, when I unfold the leaves I find lots of black droppings. The decay looks like frost decay. Will try to take pictures tomorrow if I found more decayed leaves. I just sprayed use norm oil last week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 08:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,346 posts, read 80,658,912 times
You no doubt have the infamous tomato hornworm. Those are their droppings, and they lay eggs on the underside of the leaves, the curling protects them. Cut off and burn or throw the affected leaves in the trash. If not too many you can try to find them pick off and stomp. You can also treat with BT, which is a bacteria safe for beneficial insects and can be applied right up to harvest time.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:42 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,691,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
You no doubt have the infamous tomato hornworm. Those are their droppings, and they lay eggs on the underside of the leaves, the curling protects them. Cut off and burn or throw the affected leaves in the trash. If not too many you can try to find them pick off and stomp. You can also treat with BT, which is a bacteria safe for beneficial insects and can be applied right up to harvest time.
^ This.^

Hornworms are pretty easy to deal with, but you must act quickly at the first sight. Where there is one there are usually more and they are SNEAKY. Even though they can get larger than your middle finger (ew, by the way), they are notoriously difficult to find. 3 or 4 mature worms can strip a tomato plant overnight.

I hand picked them last season, as I only had a few, but the season before I used BT with excellent results.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:10 AM

392 posts, read 751,723 times
Yesterday I sprayed with neem oil. Folding each leaf to spray it thoroughly, found a worm nestled inside munching on the leaf. They are really sneaky. I think our most mature plant is the one hardly hit by the pest, hope it's not too late to be saved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden