Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 01:50 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times

Advertisements

It's mostly shielded from view and not very public, and there aren't many neighbors anyway. But now I might have spoiled them. No one was complaining. Should have left well enough alone! However, even I was noticing a lot of mosquitoes, and there's that whole Zika thing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 08:12 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Sounds to me like the best solution would be to plant the area with divisions of spreading Liriope, over time it'll thicken up and smother out the weeds. As for the brick driveway, I'd just spray it with glyphosate (aka Roundup).

Old 08-12-2016, 09:55 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
You would all laugh if I told you I live next door to a lawn service owner.
Quote:
I'm a little worried that now the neighbors will expect me to keep it up. It was an impulsive move!
Hire the neighbors.

This stuff will kill the roots. Vinegar will not.

If you don't want to mow, then plant some of the plants as suggested above. Leaving weeds is nasty (and illegal in many areas).

Old 08-13-2016, 02:44 PM

137 posts, read 142,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I just read an article about scythes recently. Yes, they're said to cause a meditative state, but I think that's only when you have a field to clear. A tiny lawn wouldn't be large enough to require a long period of repeated motion. Mexicans and Central Americans seem to do fine with a machete for lawns, but I don't imagine that's very good for the back.
Haven't actually used a scythe before, but I've found that a $15 grass whip is very light and actually fun to use! And it also looks far less dangerous to handle...

Moreso, it's also actually surprisingly GREAT at whacking down unwanted vines off fences (like invasive trumpet creeper) - rather than trying to use shears (much painstakingly slower and manually tedious). You can just effortlessly whack away several vines at a time with easy swings through the air!

Just respect the soil and please don't ruin it with salt or glyphosate, geezz....

Old 08-14-2016, 06:37 AM

I'm not sure how you'd use that against a fence without hitting fence? But it does look like fun!

Old 08-15-2016, 10:24 AM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Does weed killer, in contrast, kill the root? (I've never used either one.)
Well of course it does, if it is systemic. Round Up (glyphosate), is. How can you be a homeowner and not know this?

Please find more information here.

How Do Systemic Weed Killers Work? | Garden Guides

Old 08-15-2016, 10:25 AM

Not every homeowner uses Roundup. I've owned FIVE homes, actually.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Not every homeowner uses Roundup. I've owned FIVE homes, actually.
Clearly. You don't have to use the brand name (I certainly don't) as the patent expired long ago. What I meant was, how do you not know the basics of lawn care/weed control - ESPECIALLY having owned several homes?

Last edited by ChessieMom; 08-15-2016 at 12:09 PM..

Old 08-15-2016, 11:53 AM

Because I'm not one who obsesses over the quality of my lawn, obviously. I don't believe weedkiller is necessarily a staple of a homeowner's arsenal. I have, until now, kept lawns -- or made sure someone has kept them (a couple were rental properties) mowed. That had sucked up enough of my life's energy without worrying about eradicating every single weed on the premises with toxic chemicals.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Because I'm not one who obsesses over the quality of my lawn, obviously. I don't believe weedkiller is necessarily a staple of a homeowner's arsenal. I have, until now, kept lawns -- or made sure someone has kept them (a couple were rental properties) mowed. That had sucked up enough of my life's energy without worrying about eradicating every single weed on the premises with toxic chemicals.
LOL. Taking care of a lawn does not indication "obsession". And simply mowing them only results in a lawn of weeds, not grass. You may be fine with that, but most people are not, in their own lawns. And since I have not recommended using toxic chemicals, you should probably read up on that issue as well.

Glyphosate toxicity: Looking past the hyperbole, and sorting through the facts. By Credible Hulk – The Credible Hulk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden