U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2016, 02:38 PM

1 posts, read 628 times

Advertisements

I have grown this tree for two years it is now over 8ft tall but winter is coming and I need to bring it in! Any suggestions? Can you guide it to grow a little sideways or anything else? Don't want to lose it!!!! And will it produce?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 02:49 PM

391 posts, read 507,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desiderata _70 View Post
I have grown this tree for two years it is now over 8ft tall but winter is coming and I need to bring it in! Any suggestions? Can you guide it to grow a little sideways or anything else? Don't want to lose it!!!! And will it produce?

Have you grown it from seed? I don't have an answer for you but we planted some seeds this year and we have one tiny tree so far.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:55 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
26,486 posts, read 46,171,030 times
Pruning to cause branching off and at the same time limit the height should have been done a lot sooner, when it was maybe 2' tall. Heavy pruning should be done in late winter/early spring, so that it will sprout back with new shoots, pruning now could prevent that and result in dieback on the pruned branches. I would not cut more than 1/3 off of any branch at one time.

No, it will not produce unless it blossoms when outside and you happen to have another one next door or very close in the neighborhood so that a bee visits both, and are very lucky. They require cross pollination from another tree, though commercially they will be grafted with scions taken from another tree. Different trees have different flower open/close patterns and the chances of the male and female being open at the same time are not great.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:32 AM

693 posts, read 531,376 times
I've heard under ideal conditions (think outside on a tropical island with deep fertile volcanic soil) they take about 15 years to produce. In a pot where weather is a factor, with intensive care you might get a couple avocados over the next 30 years.

That optimistic forecast is assuming that you are somewhere with a 9+ month growing season because avocados require 8 months from blossom to ripening. If your first frost is earlier than early December and last frost is later than mid-Feb, there's no way you ever get one.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:58 PM

685 posts, read 218,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Pruning to cause branching off and at the same time limit the height
should have been done a lot sooner, when it was maybe 2' tall.
Heavy pruning should be done in late winter/early spring, so that it will sprout back with new shoots,
pruning now could prevent that and result in dieback on the pruned branches.
I would not cut more than 1/3 off of any branch at one time.

No, it will not produce unless ...
Ah, our 2 foot tall Avocado tree gets pruned, & training Espalier-shape so we can keep it inside more years...no fruits expected. Its leaves are happy, & 11+ inches long.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:40 PM

14,815 posts, read 11,087,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
I've heard under ideal conditions (think outside on a tropical island with deep fertile volcanic soil) they take about 15 years to produce. In a pot where weather is a factor, with intensive care you might get a couple avocados over the next 30 years.

That optimistic forecast is assuming that you are somewhere with a 9+ month growing season because avocados require 8 months from blossom to ripening. If your first frost is earlier than early December and last frost is later than mid-Feb, there's no way you ever get one.
That depends on the degree of frost. The frost free period where I am is about 6 months. Those early and late frosts aren't colder than about -1/-2C, so getting fruit isn't a problem

Old Today, 09:16 AM

6,629 posts, read 2,731,730 times
I have been able to grow an avocado tree from the big avocados that are sold in the supermarket but never the smaller ones. Unfortunately, I didn't live in that house long enough to see it grow more than 5 or 6 feet. I am trying to grow another one from seed from the small one as of two days ago. I don't care about the fruit as much as I would like some more trees in my yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden