U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-04-2016, 01:38 PM
 
1 posts, read 806 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

I have grown this tree for two years it is now over 8ft tall but winter is coming and I need to bring it in! Any suggestions? Can you guide it to grow a little sideways or anything else? Don't want to lose it!!!! And will it produce?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-04-2016, 01:49 PM
 
391 posts, read 533,074 times
Reputation: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by desiderata _70 View Post
I have grown this tree for two years it is now over 8ft tall but winter is coming and I need to bring it in! Any suggestions? Can you guide it to grow a little sideways or anything else? Don't want to lose it!!!! And will it produce?




Have you grown it from seed? I don't have an answer for you but we planted some seeds this year and we have one tiny tree so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2016, 01:55 PM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
27,825 posts, read 49,253,412 times
Reputation: 27608
Pruning to cause branching off and at the same time limit the height should have been done a lot sooner, when it was maybe 2' tall. Heavy pruning should be done in late winter/early spring, so that it will sprout back with new shoots, pruning now could prevent that and result in dieback on the pruned branches. I would not cut more than 1/3 off of any branch at one time.

No, it will not produce unless it blossoms when outside and you happen to have another one next door or very close in the neighborhood so that a bee visits both, and are very lucky. They require cross pollination from another tree, though commercially they will be grafted with scions taken from another tree. Different trees have different flower open/close patterns and the chances of the male and female being open at the same time are not great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2016, 08:32 AM
 
798 posts, read 607,591 times
Reputation: 1514
I've heard under ideal conditions (think outside on a tropical island with deep fertile volcanic soil) they take about 15 years to produce. In a pot where weather is a factor, with intensive care you might get a couple avocados over the next 30 years.

That optimistic forecast is assuming that you are somewhere with a 9+ month growing season because avocados require 8 months from blossom to ripening. If your first frost is earlier than early December and last frost is later than mid-Feb, there's no way you ever get one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 01:58 PM
 
Location: Constitutional USA, zn.8A
685 posts, read 251,432 times
Reputation: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Pruning to cause branching off and at the same time limit the height
should have been done a lot sooner, when it was maybe 2' tall.
Heavy pruning should be done in late winter/early spring, so that it will sprout back with new shoots,
pruning now could prevent that and result in dieback on the pruned branches.
I would not cut more than 1/3 off of any branch at one time.

No, it will not produce unless ...
.
Ah, our 2 foot tall Avocado tree gets pruned, & training Espalier-shape so we can keep it inside more years...no fruits expected. Its leaves are happy, & 11+ inches long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2017, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Top of the South, NZ
15,473 posts, read 12,042,948 times
Reputation: 4919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
I've heard under ideal conditions (think outside on a tropical island with deep fertile volcanic soil) they take about 15 years to produce. In a pot where weather is a factor, with intensive care you might get a couple avocados over the next 30 years.

That optimistic forecast is assuming that you are somewhere with a 9+ month growing season because avocados require 8 months from blossom to ripening. If your first frost is earlier than early December and last frost is later than mid-Feb, there's no way you ever get one.
That depends on the degree of frost. The frost free period where I am is about 6 months. Those early and late frosts aren't colder than about -1/-2C, so getting fruit isn't a problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2018, 08:16 AM
 
Location: SW Florida
8,238 posts, read 3,533,487 times
Reputation: 17321
I have been able to grow an avocado tree from the big avocados that are sold in the supermarket but never the smaller ones. Unfortunately, I didn't live in that house long enough to see it grow more than 5 or 6 feet. I am trying to grow another one from seed from the small one as of two days ago. I don't care about the fruit as much as I would like some more trees in my yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top