U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 12:49 AM

3,513 posts, read 4,031,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post

..... Interesting. Since you located your flowers twice, did you ever confront these people about it? I know I certainly would!
Yes I did confront them in a round about way. The lady who had my rose plant - I didn't have the heart to tell her that her son had gifted her for her birthday with something stolen. But I was sneaky. We had a nice chat about gardening and I did ask for some cuttings from it in exchange for cuttings from some of my exotic tropical plants and she was delighted at the prospect so she let me take some rose cuttings. I gave her my address and told her to send her son to my place to pick up the cuttings. She did send him that evening and I could tell he knew he was in for it as soon as he recognized the house his mom sent him to. I had a little talk with him. Told him that if any more plants went missing again that he would be my first suspect to report to the police and then that would get him in trouble with the police AND his mother and father when the whole story came out. He was contrite and pleaded apology, really shook up and on the verge of tears, and I left it at that. His mom was happy with her rose and her other cuttings and I was content with my rose cuttings. His mom and I have exchanged plants and cuttings a few other times since then too.

With regard to the people at the farmers market who were selling my clump of Double-Decker Echinaceas, I immediately went to the administrators in charge of the farmer's market and reported those sellers as either thieves or receivers of stolen goods who were charging hefty prices for the plants they were selling. I told the administrators how to find old scars and identifying pruning marks on the echinaceas to prove that I had previously cut them there and that they were mine. I didn't get the echinaceas back but those sellers never set up a stall again at any of the local farmers markets so I think word got around to all the other local farmers markets and flea market administrators and sellers and the thieves were no longer welcome to sell at any of them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 04:24 AM

538 posts, read 228,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
How did they "make" you cut down the dogwood?

OP, I made an almost exact thread about a year ago. We also have people who walk by who will cut flowers, which I wouldn't exactly mind except they're mostly day lilies. Enough so that I'm planning to dig most of them out and put in actual cutting flowers next year.
Technically, we were not supposed to plant anything in front of the house, and they went to the HOA about it; someone else planted one that looked great a few doors down, but before these two moved in. Another story about these two is about the time I just touched a faucet on someone's wall, and it fell apart (we have common water), so they insisted that I pay for it, even though it was not even their townhouse. I got even with them by going to a short hose in front of my house, so only I could use it, since the faucet connection was subject to wear and tear. I hated living in that place, it was full of going-to-the-lavatory-ants, and was glad when I could convince my husband to move out!

Old 08-13-2016, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Yes I did confront them in a round about way. The lady who had my rose plant - I didn't have the heart to tell her that her son had gifted her for her birthday with something stolen. But I was sneaky. We had a nice chat about gardening and I did ask for some cuttings from it in exchange for cuttings from some of my exotic tropical plants and she was delighted at the prospect so she let me take some rose cuttings. I gave her my address and told her to send her son to my place to pick up the cuttings. She did send him that evening and I could tell he knew he was in for it as soon as he recognized the house his mom sent him to. I had a little talk with him. Told him that if any more plants went missing again that he would be my first suspect to report to the police and then that would get him in trouble with the police AND his mother and father when the whole story came out. He was contrite and pleaded apology, really shook up and on the verge of tears, and I left it at that. His mom was happy with her rose and her other cuttings and I was content with my rose cuttings. His mom and I have exchanged plants and cuttings a few other times since then too.

With regard to the people at the farmers market who were selling my clump of Double-Decker Echinaceas, I immediately went to the administrators in charge of the farmer's market and reported those sellers as either thieves or receivers of stolen goods who were charging hefty prices for the plants they were selling. I told the administrators how to find old scars and identifying pruning marks on the echinaceas to prove that I had previously cut them there and that they were mine. I didn't get the echinaceas back but those sellers never set up a stall again at any of the local farmers markets so I think word got around to all the other local farmers markets and flea market administrators and sellers and the thieves were no longer welcome to sell at any of them.

Regarding these two anecdotes:

#1: Well done! You didn't embarrass or antagonize the parents, but nailed the culprit and took care of the problem!

#2: Very effective!

Old 08-13-2016, 04:31 AM

A few more comments about poached plants:

1. One of my dachshunds will dig up anything to do with bulbs after I plant them. He loves to dig!

2. I have seen birds pull out brightly colored plants such as lobelia.

3. Squirrels will also pull out plants.....

Old 08-13-2016, 07:14 AM

1,617 posts, read 1,336,418 times
The first summer I lived in my apartment I had a pretty potted begonia outdoors on a little table in my small yard. One day I went out to water it and it was gone. Guess somone decided to take it. What really bugs me is that it can't be seen from the street since my yard is behind the house. It had to have been one of the neighbors on either side or behind the house live in.

I admit that I was only mkildly annoyed by it since it was the end of the summer and the plant would have died off soon anyway. But I don't keep my orchids outside during the summer. Would not want them wandering off.

Sometimes people baffle me.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:36 AM

2,188 posts, read 2,425,990 times
My father lives in a small house in the burbs. In the summer, I plant a small herb garden in his backyard. Last summer it was basil, cilantro, sage, thyme, rosemary and tarragon. They grew well... thrived.

One day I went out to water the garden, and the tall tarragon plant was gone. No trace of it. Everything else was untouched.

Would a squirrel have done that? A rabbit? But it was so neatly removed. No trace of stem, uneven ground. As if it was scooped up and the dirt smoothed over. Everything else untouched.

So I joked.... "Who stole my tarragon?" for the rest of the summer.

To be honest, I never used that herb....

This year, I grew mint, chives, basil, cilantro, thyme, two kinds of sage, lavender, and ...... no tarragon.

One day I went out to water the herb garden, and ALL of the thyme was gone. It was a very large swath of ground covered by thyme, which is a perennial that seems to spread with each year. But now the ground was bare. Every bit of the thyme gone. Everything else untouched.

Crazy, right? No animal would do this, right? But no human would either, right?

The only thing I could think of is my Dad pays people to cut the grass weekly. They don't speak English, and are in and out in 10 minutes and can show up at any time. The only thing I could think is that they decided to "weed" the garden. But it is clearly not like local herbs, and has such a wonderful smell....

So I decided not to accuse them of stealing/weeding my thyme, as they might think I am a crazy.

And it grew back. I guess they didn't get it everything afterall!

Old 08-13-2016, 09:13 AM

4,655 posts, read 4,877,575 times
We planted some beautiful azaleas one early May. A few days later, all gone. Police officers said they were probably stolen as Mother's Day gifts. A small city area, no way to id.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:31 AM

246 posts, read 153,634 times
Stuff like this makes me want to get a pet tiger to just hang out in the backyard all day. The reaction of thieves once they scale the fence would be priceless.

Do they sell life-like robot tigers? Maybe the film industry has some spare ones for sale on eBay....

Old 08-13-2016, 02:40 PM

1,080 posts, read 421,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matilda79 View Post
Stuff like this makes me want to get a pet tiger to just hang out in the backyard all day. The reaction of thieves once they scale the fence would be priceless.

Do they sell life-like robot tigers? Maybe the film industry has some spare ones for sale on eBay....
Crap, just park my wife out there! A tiger has nothing on her.

Old 08-13-2016, 04:42 PM

2,395 posts, read 979,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
How did they "make" you cut down the dogwood?

OP, I made an almost exact thread about a year ago. We also have people who walk by who will cut flowers, which I wouldn't exactly mind except they're mostly day lilies. Enough so that I'm planning to dig most of them out and put in actual cutting flowers next year.
Heh heh. I was just picturing them figuring out that daylily blooms only last one day, and all those lovely blooms they cut yesterday are shriveled up today. Seriously, though, if someone touched my precious daylilies, I would have to hunt them down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden