U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 04:49 PM

2,919 posts, read 1,301,333 times

Advertisements

I live next to a garden center. Theft is always an issue for them, but one thief's and another garden center's brazen-ness was jaw-dropping. Someone stole a whole lot of perennials and shrubs, and then sold them to another garden center about 10 miles away. The TAGS from the garden center next door were still on them when the owner's son discovered them at the rival garden center! So they knowingly bought stolen goods. Needless to say, the police were called. (PS what a stupid thief. Unless they were acting at the behest of the other garden center's owner. You never know.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 04:55 PM

110 posts, read 52,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
WHAT.....

I recently bought a home and have always enjoyed gardening so back in May I went out, got about 20 different perennials, and planted them all around the home. I was very happy with how everything was getting established and growing, and everything looked very nice. I only lost one plant because I think a cat peed on it because it literally went completely brown over night and died almost instantly.

Today I came home and I notice right away that one of my nicer perennials closer to the street was missing! (a large garden phlox that was having a massive second bloom and growth spurt) My heart sank... what happened! This plant was near a sidewalk so at first I thought maybe someone just accidentally hit it with a bike, or maybe someone pulled into our driveway and accidentally ran over it. But there was no trace of damaged flower around. No petals, no leaves, no roots left in the ground. Just a gigantic big hole that looked like literally someone came with a shovel and scooped it right out!

My wife and I are just so upset right now. Not only about the beautiful plant being gone but having that invasion of privacy feeling. Then I googled "someone stole my plant" and was shocked to see people having their plants stolen was actually really common. WHAT IN THE WORLD.... WHY WOULD YOU STEAL A PLANT! Especially one in the ground in mid summer that is most likely going to die being ripped up like that.

I just don't get it. We live in a rural quiet town (on a slightly busier street, but still a very small town) and never in my life have I heard of something like this. I'm praying that it was just an accident where someone damaged the flower then decided to remove it instead of leaving the damaged plant there, but there is no way to know for certain. Why not knock on the door or leave a note? And if someone stole it or if it was stupid kids being jerks, that makes me even sadder because what if they come back for more! I spent so many countless hours on this perennial garden this year (watering to get them established, fertilizing, deadheading and pruning, weeding nonstop) I would be heartbroken if another flower gets taken.

All and all, just posting to vent my extreme confusion and frustration with the situation. Almost tempted to install security cameras in case it does happen again. Anyone have this happen to them? Seriously, why would people steal a flower!
OMG same thing happen to me when i lived in Miami. I was home and this old cuban man maybe in his 70s walked to my porch broke a piece of my flower. I opened my door and said hi can i help you. He said something in spanish to me. I was so mad but felt bad because he was old and what can i say.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:40 AM

35,952 posts, read 37,002,911 times
My beautiful gardens were on a church sponsored garden tour in Atlanta for several years in a row. The last year I allowed it I caught somebody BEHIND my fenced back yard with shovel and bucket just about ready to start digging. I was furious and if I could have caught her I would have pummelled her with her own shovel. She ran to a side street where she was probably parked. I called the police but of course there was nothing they could do. I refused to ever be on a tour again and we installed motion detector lights and water spray but of course we could not cover the entire back yard.

Why do people do this?
Because there are always people who want something for nothing.

In Atlanta's nicest neighborhoods folks have to bolt down their porch and patio furniture and expect to lose plants every year.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:05 PM

4,693 posts, read 12,789,973 times
I am sorry to hear about this. I have heard of people stealing plants in our city park that we just planted. I have always worried about my prize irises getting stolen that are close to the street, so far they are there, but I planted them a little off the street.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:14 AM

474 posts, read 193,649 times
install security cameras, I did on my house, got a kit on amazon for about $300, installed myself, 4 cameras cover the whole exterior of house, I got due to neighbors son and his drunken friends throwing there beer cans on my lawn and driving on my lawn when they were drunk, dads a alcoholic too so he is no help, so finally decided to do it and guess what, no more beer cans on my lawn since they been up, no more driving on my lawn since, also a good detterent for burglars also.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:26 PM

6,381 posts, read 12,308,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
My beautiful gardens were on a church sponsored garden tour in Atlanta for several years in a row. The last year I allowed it I caught somebody BEHIND my fenced back yard with shovel and bucket just about ready to start digging. I was furious and if I could have caught her I would have pummelled her with her own shovel. She ran to a side street where she was probably parked. I called the police but of course there was nothing they could do. I refused to ever be on a tour again and we installed motion detector lights and water spray but of course we could not cover the entire back yard.

Why do people do this?
Because there are always people who want something for nothing.

In Atlanta's nicest neighborhoods folks have to bolt down their porch and patio furniture and expect to lose plants every year.
LOL OMG that's not very Christian. There is another thread somewhere in the forum about this very topic. In my experience, plant thieves do seem to prefer flowers. OP I'm sorry they did this to you, some people are just from another planet. What I learned was to AVOID flowers...people steal them.

People don't seem to steal evergreens. They also seem to avoid grasses and plants with spikes or prickles on them. If you want flowers, how about a really prickly rose? You can keep the vulnerable flowers inside the yard. Sorry this happened to you.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:21 PM

685 posts, read 182,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef1 View Post
install security cameras, I did on my house, got a kit on amazon for about $300, installed myself, 4 cameras cover the whole exterior of house,
I got due to neighbors son and his drunken friends throwing there beer cans on my lawn and driving on my lawn when they were drunk, dads a alcoholic too so he is no help, so finally decided to do it and guess what, no more beer cans on my lawn since they been up, no more driving on my lawn since, also a good deterrent for burglars also.
Sigh.
I am sorry for everyone whose precious plants were stolen, even by animals. maddening.
Fortunately, the only plants here so far lost were Poppies. Why would someone steal poppies? - Um,
turns out this neighborhood's infested with drug-addicts, taking them for opium.
Now we can't replace them, either? - We find ourselves in a sick world, in untold ways.
of course, now the issue arises of Fencing..., but that's not financially so feasable. So next are hedges...
maybe of herbs, or Thorny critters, or something. Working on such choices now. Good God!

Old 01-04-2017, 03:49 PM

12,025 posts, read 21,765,393 times
This thread just caught my eye while I was browsing!

Many years ago I was teaching a class in Arizona and I was given a message one of my students would be late. She finally arrived and told the class all of her huge, old Saguaro cacti had been stolen from her yard. She had to wait for the police and file a report. It was felony theft, those big ones are worth thousands of dollars. I learned this is not all that uncommon either!

Have you ever seen these? I can't even imagine how you would steal them. But they do!

Old 01-04-2017, 07:58 PM

2,919 posts, read 1,301,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 rainbows View Post
Sigh.
I am sorry for everyone whose precious plants were stolen, even by animals. maddening.
Fortunately, the only plants here so far lost were Poppies. Why would someone steal poppies? - Um,
turns out this neighborhood's infested with drug-addicts, taking them for opium.
Now we can't replace them, either? - We find ourselves in a sick world, in untold ways.
of course, now the issue arises of Fencing..., but that's not financially so feasable. So next are hedges...
maybe of herbs, or Thorny critters, or something. Working on such choices now. Good God!
Then those drug addicts were sorely disappointed. The red, pink, etc. poppies everyone grows in their garden are not opium poppies. Only opium poppies produce opium. They are also not nearly as pretty as the flower garden variety of poppy.

Why can't you replace them? Were you in fact growing opium poppies (illegal just about everywhere to cultivate them)? If not, there is no reason you can't replace them.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:34 PM

685 posts, read 182,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Then those drug addicts were sorely disappointed. The red, pink, etc. poppies everyone grows in their garden are not opium poppies. Only opium poppies produce opium. They are also not nearly as pretty as the flower garden variety of poppy.

Why can't you replace them? Were you in fact growing opium poppies (illegal just about everywhere to cultivate them)? If not, there is no reason you can't replace them.
Maybe a new discussion ? -

Bought ours at a decades-established & highly recommended local Nursery, and seriously doubt the manager there my friend would ever sell
even 1 such creepy plant. Supposedly the illegal sort is 'Papaver somniferum.' , the latter part means 'sleeping'.The part that is so confusing is that some seed companies sell "bread poppies", how are they different? Why would someone use opium in their sweet bread baking, that makes no sense. Then, have heard that after eating such or a bagel, any drug-tests are positive for codeine & morphine, even after eating only a few such seeds.

Part of the confusion is many different colors: don't like those with black on their base, so that narrows it down. Red, magenta, pink, orange, white, & either annuals, or perennial. The salmon & Lavender are favorites; are they safe/OK to grow? - Really since the whole thing is so confusing, it's likely best to ignore poppies altogether. There must be 100's of other beautiful salmon, blue, & lavender flowering plants to enjoy ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden