Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 02:53 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I have a medium sized neighborhood lawn. it is not flat, but is on a steady slope.

I purchased a Sears riding mower that I never use. In fact, I need to think about getting rid of it.

I also owned a self propelled push mower that I got rid of.

I currently use a manual reel mower.

Target : Expect More. Pay Less.

I find the reel to be the best choice. Is is a lot less bothersom than the rider. It takes no more muscle to use than the self propelled, and it cuts as well as any of them. I don't have to worry about butchering roots. The only time it is bothersom is when I have let the lawn grow too high, then, I have to use one of the others to chop down the high grass before the reel can tackle it. But maybe mine needs a tune up, or maybe there is new technology that will make higher grass easier to handle.
Sounds like a nice piece of equipment, and it should be for $179. I assumed you would have to keep the blades sharpened but I see in the description that it says "Exclusive StaySharp™ Cutting System uses precision-ground, hardened steel blades to cut grass without touching, greatly reducing friction and blade wear for long-lasting performance without costly annual blade sharpening."

I have never used one of these but I wonder how well they work around trees, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 03:12 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Sounds like a nice piece of equipment, and it should be for $179. I assumed you would have to keep the blades sharpened but I see in the description that it says "Exclusive StaySharp™ Cutting System uses precision-ground, hardened steel blades to cut grass without touching, greatly reducing friction and blade wear for long-lasting performance without costly annual blade sharpening."

I have never used one of these but I wonder how well they work around trees, etc.?
The posted mower in the link was just an example of a reel type... any reel mower should do. I think I purchased mine for about $50.

Around trees? There is nothing special around the base of the tree that would make any difference. However, as I said, they are great around roots.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:14 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Has nobody made a roomba lawn mower yet?

Old 08-14-2016, 03:23 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Has nobody made a roomba lawn mower yet?
There used to be a few on the market. A wire was placed into the ground to define the boundaries, then the mower essentially ran all day long going over random spots until time to charge.

I think the biggest problem with the robots is they can easily "walk away" when you are not looking - and that is potentially all day.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:31 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
I have a medium sized neighborhood lawn. it is not flat, but is on a steady slope.

I purchased a Sears riding mower that I never use. In fact, I need to think about getting rid of it.

I also owned a self propelled push mower that I got rid of.

I currently use a manual reel mower.
Good for you! Great exercise and no pollution.

My husband has both a push mower and an electric mower, the second is the one he uses most often now. The SF Bay Area has strict air quality standards and one can use an electric mower even on "Spare the Air" days.

Another benefit is that it is quieter than the gas mowers I hear that are even further away.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:37 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
There used to be a few on the market. A wire was placed into the ground to define the boundaries, then the mower essentially ran all day long going over random spots until time to charge.

I think the biggest problem with the robots is they can easily "walk away" when you are not looking - and that is potentially all day.
Looks like there are several on the market.
Even an interesting article about how irobot wants to make them but are fighting astronomists bc they want to use stakes instead of wires and run a signal that might interfere with telescopes.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:55 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,407,124 times
Honda engine.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:23 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
Just bought a self propelled Honda GVC160 lawn mower which was recommended by a landscaping friend who says Honda's have the best motors.
Quite pleased with the purchase!

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...mower&tbm=shop

Old 08-14-2016, 08:40 PM

730 posts, read 1,656,574 times
The self propel feature is nice if you have a large lawn to cut, but for small lawns it is difficult to use as after you use it to propel the mower forward, you have to either turn the mower in a wide arc, or let off the self propel lever and pull the mower backward. A lot of the self propel mowers have 4 small wheels which makes the above action difficult to do.

Also, (in my opinion), the self propel feature for front drive mowers is a bad design. The wheels are powered by a belt that is driven off a pulley. There is slippage and the cable that engages the feature is prone to stick, and the connection under the plastic cover tends to get contaminated by dried grass and leaves.

My preference is a gas powered push mower with large wheels in the back. It is less likely to have issues (no self propel) and the large rear wheels make it easy to push and navigate. Also, get a mower with the automatic choke so there is no primer bulb to press to start the engine.

Simple maintenance - wash the underside after each use with a garden hose, change the oil one every season, run the mower dry of gasoline at the end of the season, check / change the air filter and spark plug when needed and store the mower in the garage or shed for the winter.

I really don't have a preference on the engine's manufacturer but I am not a big fan of Kohler.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:33 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,184,182 times
Honda 21 in. 3-in-1 Variable Speed Self-Propelled Gas Mower with Auto Choke-HRR216K9VKA - The Home Depot

I have had this mower for 4 seasons now. Best self propelled push mower I have ever owned.

Works just as well today as day one. Starts right up on the first pull.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden