U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2016, 03:19 AM

3,341 posts, read 1,965,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartdurhamnc View Post
We want to buy a lawn mower. What is the best lawn mower and also what should we look for? We want self propelled mower. Some are written 190cc others 163cc. Which brand is better?
Make sure there's a blade attached...Yep, one of 25,000 and I HAD to buy THAT one...
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 11:26 AM

14,838 posts, read 23,638,736 times
Quote:
We want to buy a lawn mower. What is the best lawn mower and also what should we look for? We want self propelled mower. Some are written 190cc others 163cc. Which brand is better?
Best kind I know of are the kind that has someone else operating it. LOL

OK, So we have a Toro Lawn mower. We also have a small lot. 60 x 100, not that it is all grass. Half the back yard is concrete and pavers and a big section of the front yard is a driveway. Depending on how much lawn you have will determine your best bet for a lawn mower. As far as someone else operating it, I have three teen age boys to do that for me. Yes I love yard work now more than ever.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:00 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,738,678 times
Default The Best Lawn Mower

The Best Lawn Mower | The Sweethome

"If you’re mowing less than half an acre of lawn, the best lawn mower for your grass-cutting needs is the self-propelled, gas-powered Honda HRX217K5VKA.

After 50 hours of research and conversations with two landscapers, two service outlets, and Roy Berendsohn of Popular Mechanics (who has been testing and evaluating lawn mowers for more than 20 years), we found that the quality, reliability, and features of the Honda—as well as its unique ability to balance how much grass is mulched and how much is bagged—justify its steep price."

Quote:

Old 08-15-2016, 07:06 PM

1,916 posts, read 1,079,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Yes, Honda engines are very good.

I suggest a rear-wheel drive mower instead of front-wheel.
yup. front wheel drive is worthless

Old 08-21-2016, 04:40 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,246,513 times
i used a neighbor's honda mower but found the design to be terrible and it was hard to start.

make sure the ergonomics of the mower work for you. the honda mower requires you to hold the clutch with your fingers and the throttle with your thumb but the owner just grabbed both levers and muscled the mower around on full throttle.

I use a ~22" troybilt mower which is not great and would like something with a wider deck. perhaps a 42" cut to reduce mowing time.

Mulching should be a required feature. not sure why so many people continue to bag their lawn clippings. that's free fertilizer for the lawn.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:08 AM
Status: "the sun is not yellow, it's chicken" (set 19 hours ago)

18,528 posts, read 17,979,726 times
1) can I drive it one-handed?
2) where will my beer go?

Old 08-23-2016, 02:36 PM

7 posts, read 4,713 times
190cc is of course top of the line (and cost), but you may not need that kind of power depending on your lawn. Do you have tough grass or steep hills? This site might help. They have a good lawn mower comparison here.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:48 AM

135 posts, read 61,828 times
I saw someone with this kind of mower. What is the advantage of these. I didn't know ppl still use them.

Scott's 20" Classic Push Reel Mower

Old 09-10-2017, 08:59 AM

1,546 posts, read 649,883 times
Quote:
I saw someone with this kind of mower. What is the advantage of these. I didn't know ppl still use them.

Scott's 20" Classic Push Reel Mower
It's a great mower if you have a nice level plush lawn with no twigs being dropped from the trees. One twig and you jamb the reel. In my yard I would need to stop every five feet to clear the debris.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:28 AM

4,414 posts, read 7,765,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Honda. I had 1 of the first and it lasted over 25 years and still started on the first pull. The commercial models are much better but cost more than the ones available at Home Depot and similar stores. Honda lawn mower engines are residential or residential grade, quality and price are also different. The residential units are good but the commercial products can't be beat!
Honda HRX217VKA Model Info | 21" Walk Behind Mower | Honda Lawn Mowers
Honda HRC216HXA Model Info | 21" Walk Behind Commercial Mower | Honda Lawn Mowers
That's the first word pops into my head when I saw the title of this thread

I have a self-propelled Honda for 8 years and it still starts after the first pull. You don't realize how much energy you save until you have a self-propelled. I only have 1/3 acres but have a sloping area in the back. The self-propelled really helps.

Yes it's a bit pricey compared to other brand, but considering it's legendary reliability and quality it's well worth the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden