Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 02:21 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,654,480 times

Advertisements

In the shade? I have a huge old oak in my front yard and I just can't seem to grow grass out there. I have some gardens out there to take up some of the space but some nice green grass would be nice too. The tree is large enough to block out most if not all of the sunlight and most of the rain. I don't mind watering but there's not much I can do about providiing sun light Does anyone have a great shade loving grass that they love? Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 05:03 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,058,606 times
If it's the right temp where you are you could try an alternative to grass like Baby's Tears (Soleirolia).

It's not great for much heavy traffic, but it's very pretty, a lovely deep fresh green. It will creep up sides of rocks, pots and so on, which I think looks charming, and can invade other pieces of lawn but I have never found it to be a problem - quite the opposite.

There are lots of ideas on the web for alternatives to grass, such as Plant Answers

Last edited by southdown; 02-20-2008 at 05:13 PM..

Old 02-21-2008, 09:30 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,438,277 times
Grass will have a hard time growing under your big thirsty shady oak.

I think you're on the right track with the gardens. The Southern Living Garden Book has lists of shade / drought tolerant plants - groundcovers include: liriope (monkey grass), vinca (periwinkle - some areas classify it as 'Invasive'), ophiopogon (mondo grass); perennials include: astilbe, dicentra (bleeding heart), hosta.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:22 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
Steve Bender, an excellent and funny writer who was garden editor of Southern Living magazine for several years, wrote an article years ago about growing grass under trees. The gist of it was...it won't!
He wrote about how his parents would seed, re-seed, water, install plugs and sod...and nothing grew. Which was exactly what we had tried to do for years, with no success. The trees just soak up all the water, and oaks...they're acidic, I believe, and grass just won't grow!
Your best bet is to plant a ground cover, like the aforementioned liriope, periwinkle (vinca) etc. The bad news is, you won't be playing football on the lawn. The good news is, it'll be that much less grass to cut!

Old 03-01-2008, 07:30 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,997,143 times
I had a similar situation in Maryland, and I tried creeping red fescue. It's supposedly drought tolerant, does well in shade and has a deep green color [like some of the nicer lawn grasses].

It did grow in, and although some of it became established, it was a tad finer than the existing grass so it didn't entirely match. I don't know if I would recommend it though, unless you had to have grass.

I think the shade-loving groundcovers are an excellent idea. I have first-hand experience with the vinca [periwinkle] and it is a winner. Evergreen, and beautiful blue flowers [I think you can get a variety with white flowers too]. It'll do great under the trees.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:02 PM

236 posts, read 1,085,557 times
A large tree does several things to the soil around it that makes it a challenge to grow grass. Both of these remedies may be necessary:

Get a core plug aerator from your local rental store. The roots of a big tree can compact the soil too much for the grass to grow.

Ph test the soil. I'd bet it's too acidic. You'll want to add lime or potash when you fertilize. Since you just aerated, this will all sink into the ground quite well. ;-)

If that won't get you some grass under the tree, it won't grow there.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:43 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Most grasses need 6-8 hours of sunlight to grow properly. One exception is Saint Augustine grass which grows in lowlight or shady areas.
Trees are always the predominate plant and will take up the water and nutrients rapidly away from the grass and shrubs, unless you deep water on a regular basis.
Grass is generally a losing battle.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:44 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,318,181 times
You could try moss. It will grow in the shade under the tree and very soft to walk on don't have to mow it or trim it either! The other options are "walk on me plants" you can search for that and come up with several different varieties and some grow very well in shade in that zone 6/7 area that you are in.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:37 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
I had a similar situation in Maryland, and I tried creeping red fescue. It's supposedly drought tolerant, does well in shade and has a deep green color [like some of the nicer lawn grasses].

It did grow in, and although some of it became established, it was a tad finer than the existing grass so it didn't entirely match. I don't know if I would recommend it though, unless you had to have grass.

I think the shade-loving groundcovers are an excellent idea. I have first-hand experience with the vinca [periwinkle] and it is a winner. Evergreen, and beautiful blue flowers [I think you can get a variety with white flowers too]. It'll do great under the trees.
I've heard that Vinca is not appealing to deer...true??? I planted some under a big oak. Hope springs eternal....

Old 03-26-2008, 06:46 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,997,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I've heard that Vinca is not appealing to deer...true??? I planted some under a big oak. Hope springs eternal....
I don't actually know! If it's deer-resistant, it's really the perfect plant.

I grew mine in Albuquerque, and we don't have any deer in our 'burb, plus it's fenced in. But our neighbor back in Md. had planted vinca and english ivy in an unfenced area under a large tree in her front yard, and it was thriving.

You will love the beautiful, purple flowers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden