U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 05:36 PM

41,093 posts, read 32,773,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Love the in between yard. I will offer this opinion only because of our experience with a hot tub and your layout and lifestyle might be different enough to make it not matter.

We had a hot tub in NY. We both loved it initially. It was fun and new. The draw back for us was that when it was warm i.e the summer, you wanted to use it a lot less. When it was really cold you wanted to use it a lot more. When you get out of the tub your body heat is retained so you have enough time to get inside without getting cold. Getting in took a little more courage when it was freezing out side. Once in, it was fine and relaxing. My biggest problem was that when you got out in the summer you could towel off and dry off a bit. The winter time was different and in order to get into the bathroom to shower, you had to walk on hardwood floors in the kitchen and then a carpeted hallway. Neither of which were optimal for the chemicals necessary for the hot tub cleanliness. It is essentially chlorine or bromine.

I also had a problem with dry skin. I did enjoy being in it and actually hated to get out as the massage was wonderful but it dried my skin out so badly that I had to limit my dips.

The other issue for us was if you travel for any length of time, you need to have someone turn the hot tub on and add chemicals. Of course you can drain it, but ours was 750 gallons, so we didn't want to empty it often. We emptied it 3-4 times per year, but we were generally the only two who used it. When we moved we sold the tub with the house and didn't bother to get one when we moved here.

I know a lot of people that have them and enjoy them immensely as we did, but I wanted to just float this with you. Not trying to be a killjoy.
Thank you for the feedback!

We've had a hot tub before (in our previous home) and I concur with all your points. However, we loved it and are looking forward to having one again. Unfortunately we couldn't move our former one because we built a patio around it and it would have looked odd, so we opted to leave it with the house.

We only travel for a week or ten days at the most so that should be OK.

As for the cold weather - it gets in the 30s usually here in the winter, and is often in the 40s, even at night. I mean, occasionally it gets into the 20s or 10s but that's rare. So to me, that's about perfect. It gets into the 60s at night in late September and then it's also in the 60s in April and even occasionally in May but we never get in it in the summer - it's too stinking hot!

We had considered opening up to our master bath and may still do that one day but for now we're going to be tracking in through the house. I agree - it's not ideal but we may open that wall up next year - we'll see how it goes this year.

Thanks again for the feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Kathryn: I think you have a beautiful back yard right now ! If I may ask, where do you live? So much potential there for flowers, flowering shrubs, quaint seating areas and even a veggie area. Wish I had some of that. My yard is mostly gravel (AZ) and I sure miss what a yard is supposed to be. Like yours. Have fun.
Thank you! We live in northeast Texas and our water bill in the summer is scary - LOL. But yes, we do have a lot of flowering plants available.

We have some terraces in the far backyard that I want to work on after the patio but one project at a time! It has taken me two years to CLEAN THEM OUT. Oh my gosh, the junk that was in them was depressing. And since the yard was so shaded, all of the jungle of plants was only shade loving plants so of course now that we cut the horrible Bartlett pear trees down, we have SUN and have to regroup on those terraces.

I have some herbs in some big barrel thingies and they do well, but I have to water the heck out of them.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:39 PM

900 posts, read 471,404 times
May I suggest Permeable Pavers for your patio and driveway? They are more friendly to the environment, and you may be able to get some tax credits or rebates for doing so....

Google "permeable pavers examples" and you will see this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=perm...HVcSA0EQsAQIKg

Old 08-24-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Looks really good! You've been busy!
Thank you -it's a work in progress. I'm about to go outside and take pictures of how torn up everything is - LOL. It looks like hell right now.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:44 PM

118,718 posts, read 13,656,963 times
KathrynAragon what a fantastic project and the end results will be surely amazing.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:15 PM

OK, end of Day 1 and here's the fun so far!
Attached Thumbnails
Patio project - pictures will be included.  Major overhaul!-yard-torn-up-patio-1.jpg   Patio project - pictures will be included.  Major overhaul!-yard-torn-up-patio-2.jpg   Patio project - pictures will be included.  Major overhaul!-yard-torn-up-patio-4.jpg   Patio project - pictures will be included.  Major overhaul!-yard-torn-up-patio-6.jpg   Patio project - pictures will be included.  Major overhaul!-yard-torn-up-patio-5.jpg  

Old 08-24-2016, 06:18 PM

118,718 posts, read 13,656,963 times
Love the shape of your driveway.Are you and your husband doing that all by yourself or did you hire a contractor? I am amazed how green your lawn looks.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
Love the shape of your driveway.Are you and your husband doing that all by yourself or did you hire a contractor? I am amazed how green your lawn looks.
Oh my, no - we got a contractor! The same contractor we used to renovate (gut and rebuild) our kitchen and guest bath and all our flooring. We're going to use her also to redo our master bath when the patio is done.

Thanks on the grass by the way. We've had an unusually wet spring and summer here in northeast Texas. But my husband and I have also put a lot of work into this lawn in the way of regular fertilizing and keeping weeds out. We also keep the grass sort of tall in the summer. And finally, we also rack up a pretty hefty water bill in the summer too, keeping this lawn green!

Old 08-24-2016, 08:13 PM

7,253 posts, read 9,624,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Thank you for the feedback!

We've had a hot tub before (in our previous home) and I concur with all your points. However, we loved it and are looking forward to having one again. Unfortunately we couldn't move our former one because we built a patio around it and it would have looked odd, so we opted to leave it with the house.

We only travel for a week or ten days at the most so that should be OK.

As for the cold weather - it gets in the 30s usually here in the winter, and is often in the 40s, even at night. I mean, occasionally it gets into the 20s or 10s but that's rare. So to me, that's about perfect. It gets into the 60s at night in late September and then it's also in the 60s in April and even occasionally in May but we never get in it in the summer - it's too stinking hot!

We had considered opening up to our master bath and may still do that one day but for now we're going to be tracking in through the house. I agree - it's not ideal but we may open that wall up next year - we'll see how it goes this year.

Thanks again for the feedback!
Your yard and house will be worthy of Home and Gardens. Glad to hear you owned a hot tub before.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:33 AM

7,133 posts, read 2,225,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We start on a big patio project today - extending the patio to 1100 square feet, adding a hot tub and fire pit, buying new furniture, etc. I'll add "before" pictures and then continue as the project moves along. We're so excited!
Too bad you didn't start this 6 months ago in the Spring. But I don't suppose that Wonderland has a Winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or