Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 07:00 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Too bad you didn't start this 6 months ago in the Spring. But I don't suppose that Wonderland has a Winter.
Well, considering it doesn't get below 50 around here till usually the middle of November, I think we're OK. Besides that, we're putting in a hot tub and a firepit so as long as it's done by fall, that's what matters the most to me!

The odd thing is, we use our patio the LEAST in the summer because even at night, the temps are in the 80s and it feels better inside than out. And it usually doesn't get into the 80s till about 9 pm or later! But we use the heck out of it for the rest of the year, even in the winter time. Last year we bought a free standing fire pit and we used it a lot and loved it - even in January. So I'm really excited about that built in fire pit.

We're trying to decide about what sort of pattern we want to use with the stones. I think we're going to go with stacked stone rather than stones that show the masonry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 09:18 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Nuts2 is right about the hot tub. Once the newness wears off, they just sit there taking up space.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Nuts2 is right about the hot tub. Once the newness wears off, they just sit there taking up space.
Not in our case. We've had one in the past (for years) and used it and will use this one as well. We both love a hot tub.

I'm sure some people don't use them much but we don't fall into that category. This is not our first hot tub purchase.

As for space, our patio area is going to end up being 1100 square feet, and the hot tub is going to be tucked off in one corner of that very large space. So space isn't an issue for us either.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:58 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
maybe I missed something?, but did you deceide on pavers or concrete, blacktop?
Not sure what would be best for your region.
Up north here concrete cracks and getts s**tty pretty fast.

Relatives of mine have pavers in Florida, so that might be feasible for you, that is if you like them.
I have seen so many of the driveways in Florida with the pavers and you can get really creative, and im sure you'd have a lot of fun creating as well.

love the before pics and getting to see the transformation, as you make progress.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
maybe I missed something?, but did you deceide on pavers or concrete, blacktop?
Not sure what would be best for your region.
Up north here concrete cracks and getts s**tty pretty fast.

Relatives of mine have pavers in Florida, so that might be feasible for you, that is if you like them.
I have seen so many of the driveways in Florida with the pavers and you can get really creative, and im sure you'd have a lot of fun creating as well.

love the before pics and getting to see the transformation, as you make progress.
We are trying to decide between a sort of blue gray stone or a tile that has random medallions stamped into a concrete sort of finish. Our contractor is bringing the GORGEOUS tile over today for us to get it wet and see whether or not it's too slick when it's wet. I hope it's not but if so, then we will go with the blue gray stone which is also really pretty.

Either will be laid over the concrete after it cures for one month - and there will be a layer of some sort of stuff that expands and contracts with the weather to keep the surface from cracking.

I'll let you know what we decide!

Old 08-26-2016, 12:45 PM

Yay! Rebar is laid and the ugly storage building is OUT OF THE BACKYARD. Wow, the yard looks a lot more open with it gone. More after the concrete is poured!

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 02-07-2020 at 07:17 AM..

Old 08-26-2016, 06:28 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
So the concrete you are pouring will be added to what you have already, to make it larger, than the tiles will be laid over it? That sounds like a great idea, because a lot of time when tiles or bricks are laid without a sturdy base some sink and move around, so this sounds like a good plan.

The color sounds really nice also, can't wait to see it.

Will you have a border along the edges in stone, or left to the grass naturally?

Last edited by nightcrawler; 08-26-2016 at 07:22 PM..

Old 08-26-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
So the concrete you are pouring will be added to what you have already, than the tiles will be laid over it? That sounds like a great idea, because a lot of time when tiles or bricks are laid some sink and move around, so this sounds like it will be a solid base.

The color sounds really nice also, can't wait to see it.

Will you have a border along the edges in stone, or left to the grass naturally?
Thank you - I think we are going to let the grass come naturally except for one corner and we'll probably plant some sort of low bush and some perennials there.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that it all turns out! I think it will. More pictures coming.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:51 AM

Progress from yesterday!

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 02-07-2020 at 07:17 AM..

Old 08-27-2016, 08:58 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Looks really nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden