Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 08:03 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Also wanted to add - landscape lighting! If you're interested in adding some (assuming you don't have any?) LED technology has made adding them a true DIY process, saving a ton of money! Our old house was new construction, so we had Charlie Brown trees. Our current house has mature trees. Between up-lighting floods against the front of the house and trees, walkway down lights, and a few in-ground "well" lights, I installed 26 lights around the front, back and sides to our house myself. Took me three days because I had to bury 600 feet of wire with a spade, but wasn't hard at all. In total, the lights pull down 148 watts total! That's the equivenlent of a single normal light bulb. Cost? Maybe $1,000 total. Lights are substantial in materials too, metal casing, metal stakes, etc. Made a massive difference. Bought it all from Home Depot (Hunter brand). Since you have the hot tub wired up, I presume a throw box is nearby along the house. Just have an electrician add a normal outlet from that throw box, and that's your new control outlet for the lights. Really easy to do.
Thank you - yes, we had an outlet added when they put in the box for the hot tub, just in case.

There are so many really cool lighting ideas out there! One that I really like is simple - lights wrapped around two tree trunks a few yards apart (we have that) and then lights strung between the two trees randomly, not really in straight lines, just looped around the branches. It's so beautiful! That really appeals to me.

I have a few solar powered lights around on the patio and they work surprisingly well. But I'll definitely be revisiting the whole light thing when we get it all done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 01:26 PM

Slowly...slowly...

Still waiting on the tile and the hot tub but the outdoor curtains came in! I'm pretty sure our neighbors don't want to see fifty something year old bodies, or fifty shades of anything either, in that hot tub.
Attached Thumbnails
Patio project - pictures will be included.  Major overhaul!-new-outdoor-curtains.jpg  

Old 09-16-2016, 03:33 PM

126,272 posts, read 19,045,264 times
I like the outside curtains blend in well with the wood frame and your garden.You have great taste Kathryn

Old 09-16-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
I like the outside curtains blend in well with the wood frame and your garden.You have great taste Kathryn
Thank you!!!!!

Old 09-16-2016, 05:05 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Thank you - I am so pleased with their work.

i can't wait to fire it up!
And won't it be nice to just chuck all the random yard branches into it? Win win.

Old 09-16-2016, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
And won't it be nice to just chuck all the random yard branches into it? Win win.

You are not kidding!

Old 09-16-2016, 08:59 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Ah~~50 shades of~~~green~~~~~very cool

Old 09-19-2016, 07:39 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Slowly...slowly...

Still waiting on the tile and the hot tub but the outdoor curtains came in! I'm pretty sure our neighbors don't want to see fifty something year old bodies, or fifty shades of anything either, in that hot tub.

They look really nice, I know it wasn't a coiencidence (sp)that the curtains match the trees so perfectly
Actually, it is a good idea, vines or anything crawling like I originally thought would just fall into the tub and you'd have to clean it, so yes, I think the curtains were a much better idea.

OK, so lets get to the fire pit, love the stacked stone, I just love it.

Its good, progress is being made.

Isnt it great with digital cameras you can take hundreds of pictures of all these projects and just load them up all in a matter of minutes.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
They look really nice, I know it wasn't a coiencidence (sp)that the curtains match the trees so perfectly
Actually, it is a good idea, vines or anything crawling like I originally thought would just fall into the tub and you'd have to clean it, so yes, I think the curtains were a much better idea.

OK, so lets get to the fire pit, love the stacked stone, I just love it.

Its good, progress is being made.

Isnt it great with digital cameras you can take hundreds of pictures of all these projects and just load them up all in a matter of minutes.
Ha, thank you! Here are today's pictures! The last two are of the tile - peeking through the boxes getting ready to be laid out tomorrow. The first is a picture of the majority of the tiles - a plain gray that looks like concrete, 24" x 24" tiles. The next is of the medallion embossed tiles. We have twenty of them. They are also 24" x 24" They are going to be randomly set out among the plain tiles.

Tile laying starts tomorrow!
Attached Thumbnails
Patio project - pictures will be included.  Major overhaul!-fun-begins-again-getting-ready-tile.jpg   Patio project - pictures will be included.  Major overhaul!-lining-down-patio.jpg   Patio project - pictures will be included.  Major overhaul!-plain-tile-peek.jpg   Patio project - pictures will be included.  Major overhaul!-medallion-tile-peek.jpg  

Old 09-21-2016, 08:26 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times
^ I love the tiles, the gray is classic, timeless, never goes out of style and the medallion you chose is not an "loud in your face", type of tile, but a subtle break up in the midst of the plain ones. I think it is going to look great.

Maybe few "terra-cotta" flower pots placed around, ( I love terra-cotta ) sorry, had to throw an idea in...would look great on those tiles.

Now the gold stuff on the concrete, is what?
the underlay for the tiles to stick?, like a thin set, or membrane? (now I sound like a science teacher) LOL.

also, are you going to place the tiles straight, like regular, or the popular diamond shape effect?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden