Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 07:00 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,042,431 times

Advertisements

mamh
I ran into a few of "that type" during my training especially the ones who have been there for years
once I was done training my interaction with them was greatly reduced. I only see them at quarterly training and the annual holiday party.
Don't let a few of them ruin what seems to be something you enjoy.
wow 80 acres !!! How cool that must be.

Today in the JR MG class we are teaching the kids hydroponic gardening.
it should be a lot of fun 2 classes of 30 2nd graders and water !!!!!

The fun the kids have and the look on their faces when they learn how great plants are is one of the reasons I do what I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 08:00 AM

899 posts, read 2,933,829 times
Karla
the 80 acres is in nearby Silverton called oregon gardens, its laid out to recyle water and demo what we can grow in the northwest..part of it is an 8 acre veg and orchard garden..Its fun volunteering out there and interacting with guests.
I'm not going give up on the MG thing but oh how they try ones patience..
Have a happy week

Old 06-07-2008, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,035 times
HI JNR!
How did the classes go ?

Old 06-07-2008, 07:17 PM

I was kinda wondering when this topic would come up again..I enjoyed 99 % of the classroom time and have enjoyed all the phone desk..Still must go one more time in July..the phone info desk was fun and very interesting..I still have a bunch of time to do in their demo garden..However my other playground is higher on the list for now..
It will get done..It was just far more time consuming then I expected...
Wonder what others thought of their classes..

Old 06-08-2008, 08:13 AM

lol I think I gained 5 pounds during my training
we had folks from 3 different counties at the class and every county took turns bringing snacks to each class
The amount of goodies was amazing !!!!!

Some of the classes were very interesting a couple were kind of boring I could never figure out why they had the boring ones after lunch between the above mentioned snacks & lunch folks were at the nodding off point after lunch especially it they has overheads to show and they would dim the lights

Old 06-08-2008, 09:41 AM

Snacks, we too ate like kings and queens, and about died for a nap in the afternoon.Most of the class were retired or semi-retired , I for one was not use to sitting still that long..
I need to get busy and finish up my hours in July, only about 20 total to do.
Well going to go play in my own dirt today...
Happy gardening

Old 06-08-2008, 12:17 PM
JnR JnR started this thread

1,709 posts, read 849,111 times
Hi there! The classes are going great, I 'graduate' on June 26th so we are getting near the end. I am looking forward to the volunteering part and putting my new found knowledge to work. Most of the classes and speakers were interesting, we did have one class that was sooooo boring! We are having to give a group presentation and there was one person in our group who seemed like they just couldn't pull it together and do their part (in fact, instead of doing their part they kept re-writing and changing everyone else's... LOL), but I think we finally convinced her she needed to get busy and she did have her part done last week when we met to go over it. Some people are just hard to work with, I am going to try my best to stay away from projects that she has signed up for.

Anyway, I am still really liking the program and am happy that I signed up for it.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:30 PM

Jnr, so your not done yet..Do you still have the usual 50 or 60 volunteer hours to do..?When did you start? My class started in january and was done in March and will have graduation in December ...
I still have to do some hours in their demo garden...
Congrats on making it threw

Old 06-09-2008, 09:31 AM
JnR JnR started this thread

1,709 posts, read 849,111 times
Our class started on Feb 21st and will end on June 26th. We have a 50 volunteer hour requirement for the first year (with 12 hours of continuing education as well) and then the subsequent years are 25 hours of volunteer and 12 hours education. I guess our 'graduation' is a little early, as I won't be a true master gardener until June 2009 when my volunteer requirements have been met and they issue our certificates. It has been a really good experience for me and I hope that I continue to enjoy it for years to come.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:46 AM

I find it so interesting how the different counties do the program
Our classes start at the end of Aug and you graduate the first week of Dec
Then you start your volunteering
I am pretty well covered for my volunteer hours for the year rofl last count I was near 100

I am running behind in the hours required in continuing education area it seems most of the classes so far have been 2 hours away at the IAFS center at the university in Gainsville and I just haven't had the 6 or so hours to spare at one time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden