Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 11:58 AM
JnR JnR started this thread

1,709 posts, read 848,432 times

Advertisements

Anyone here been through the Master Gardener program? I start the program today and I am really excited about it. Just wondering if anyone else had experience with this program and what they think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 12:00 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,671,273 times
OH GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!! I've wanted to do it and have even gotten the info before but the timing was not right. I'd love to hear from others as well that have done it.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:13 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,729,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JnR View Post
Anyone here been through the Master Gardener program? I start the program today and I am really excited about it. Just wondering if anyone else had experience with this program and what they think about it.
A friend of mine who lives in Morro Bay, CA went through it just a few years ago. She loved it, and couldn't speak more highly of it. And...she's an awesome gardener now.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
A friend of mine who lives in Morro Bay, CA went through it just a few years ago. She loved it, and couldn't speak more highly of it. And...she's an awesome gardener now.
Oh good! She lives in my area (I live in Paso Robles, just over the hill from her) so I will be taking the same class that she did. The curriculum looks interesting and covers quite a lot of stuff. Thanks!

Old 02-21-2008, 12:28 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,729,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JnR View Post
Oh good! She lives in my area (I live in Paso Robles, just over the hill from her) so I will be taking the same class that she did. The curriculum looks interesting and covers quite a lot of stuff. Thanks!
Yeah, her property backs up on the state owned forest (or whatever it is) in that area. She's got an awesome lot overlooking the bay. I have envy every time I visit.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:04 PM

44,540 posts, read 61,201,075 times
The Master Gardener program is a program worthwhile. It will bring you up from average home gardener to a more informed gardener. It teaches you the basics in plants, soils, insecticides, herbicides etc, all in laymans terms enabling you to be a more informed and successful gardener.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:59 PM

592 posts, read 2,234,519 times
I took it in Wyoming. The curriculum came out of the program at Colorado State Univ.
I thought it was great ! Not only do you have the chance to refine your knowledge , you also get to hang out with others who share your passion of gardening. Part of the program requires you to give back to your community by answering gardening questions from the public. We visited the gardens of other people and saw what they were doing. Each year we had a state convention where we were able to attend seminars. And we had booths at county fairs and presented seminars ourselves.
Most of us were organic gardeners and the only thing we struggled with was that a lot of the information dealt with using chemicals.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:45 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,373,633 times
Yes, in Alabama. My Master Gardener classes (IIRC 8 weeks) were taught by professors from Auburn and AAMU, Extension Agents, and commercial nursery professionals. We also volunteered (IIRC 40 hours) at the Botanical Garden and local projects. The classes were held once a week for 4 hours, and the class brought dishes to share during breaks, yum!

It's a great program - good luck

Old 02-21-2008, 07:53 PM

Well, looks like we have a great group in our Master Gardener class. We started with the basics of botany today and it looks like our classes will be half lecture and half hands-on assignments and exhibits. And we also did have some yummy snacks at the break! What a neat program, I really like the fact that you work with the community to help others with their home gardening questions and issues. And I will learn a whole bunch of stuff to help myself as well. Only the first day, but I have a great feeling about this.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:44 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,007,484 times
JnR
Congrats you are going to love being a Master Gardener.
I took the program almost 3 years ago.
Ours was through the IAFS at U of Florida.

You will learn so much.
There are so many different ways with our program to complete the required volunteer hours .

We have a JR Master gardener program that we teach at local schools, that I have been involved in since I completed the program.
if this is one of the things available I highly recommend signing up .
The kids love what they call " butterfly garden class"

rofl about the snacks, everyone would bring the best goodies I gained 5#s by the time the class was over

What is your volunteer hour requirement ?
When I went through the program we had to do 50 hours, 35 of which had to be on the phones. Which is where you are going to learn even more.
The class that just finished has to do 75 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden