U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2016, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 302 times

Advertisements

Hello, and thank you for looking at my question.
The beds either side of my greenhouse path are quite a lot damper than I need them to be, because I grow lots of succulents and the soil is too wet, even when the surface is bone dry.

First I plan to gutter the run-off away because I think the rainfall off the glass is seeping into the beds via the outside ground and into the greenhouse. However, that is not the whole story.

I dug out the beds last year, poured sand in the bottom and lined the whole bed with mypex, before filling the bed on top with compost/soil, perlite mix.

I'm wondering if the underground sand is 'pulling' the water into the beds from outside, thus negating the fact that it was put there to drain water away from the soil above it.

I hardly ever water the plants because my moisture meters show the compost/soil to be still too wet to be ideal for succulents. I have resorted to putting them in pots and standing them on the ground so they don't get too wet.

I had a thought, because in my therapy room I use diffuser reeds to make the room smell nice by sticking them into a jar of bluebell essence or something similar and the reeds pull the liquid up the stem to evaporate into the air.

Has anybody heard of something like that which can be stuck in the ground in between the plants, and will pull excess moisture out of the ground and evaporate it away, thus keeping the soil dryer? I've searched and searched but so far have found nothing.

I hope someone will come up with an idea or a product that can do this. The more I think about it, something like this, in conjunction with the moisture meters would mean you could keep to quite strict tolerances for the ideal growing conditions.

Thank you again.
Phil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or