U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 12:30 PM

4,196 posts, read 3,015,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr3stripe View Post
That sounds a lot like it's meant to say "...unable to process info and form the same opinion as me..".
Not really. A person who formed their own opinion could easily disagree with someone by discussing the issues and raising valid counter-points.

Discrediting an entire opinion by calling it "hippie garbage" (or "right wing conspiracy theory" or "Racist" or anything else, if you prefer) is much more like "unable to form the same opinion as me".

The people who I value the most are those who disagree with me. They are the ones I can learn from. People who are dismissive don't have much to offer anyone, IMBO (in my biased opinion).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 12:38 PM

973 posts, read 585,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Not really. A person who formed their own opinion could easily disagree with someone by discussing the issues and raising valid counter-points.

Discrediting an entire opinion by calling it "hippie garbage" (or "right wing conspiracy theory" or "Racist" or anything else, if you prefer) is much more like "unable to form the same opinion as me".

The people who I value the most are those who disagree with me. They are the ones I can learn from. People who are dismissive don't have much to offer anyone, IMBO (in my biased opinion).
sometimes you have to understand if someone is way over there, and you're over here it's just not worth the energy to try to find common ground

But really it's a meta informational problem

In college my professor taught us to always look at the publishers and do some analysis on their work and if they were peer reviewed to see if they're biased or maybe pushing an agenda

In other words:
If you think words put forth by the Oxford Press are as merit worthy as that from Moon Crystal ministries or whatever this is then I'm sorry.

In this day and age of informational overload having the skills of discernment are worth more than believing everything anyone may say. Because remember, it's not just about what they're telling you but what they're not telling you, and how they're coloring what they're telling you.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:07 PM

186 posts, read 101,479 times
I'd love to here an intelligent defense of Monsanto and why they are beneficial.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:15 PM

It's kinda like how I could say vaccinations don't cause autism and you could swarm me with links to the contrary.

If you don't appreciate the impact of stuff like Round-Up Ready on food security, I don't care. But for most people it's self evident.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:16 PM

4,196 posts, read 3,015,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
sometimes you have to understand if someone is way over there, and you're over here it's just not worth the energy to try to find common ground

But really it's a meta informational problem

In college my professor taught us to always look at the publishers and do some analysis on their work and if they were peer reviewed to see if they're biased or maybe pushing an agenda

In other words:
If you think words put forth by the Oxford Press are as merit worthy as that from Moon Crystal ministries or whatever this is then I'm sorry.

In this day and age of informational overload having the skills of discernment are worth more than believing everything anyone may say. Because remember, it's not just about what they're telling you but what they're not telling you, and how they're coloring what they're telling you.
I agree with everything you said above, but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenguista View Post
I'd love to here an intelligent defense of Monsanto and why they are beneficial.
I acknowledged that the film itself is biased, but I also mentioned that I've done much external learning on the subject of our food supply, and not just the seed issue, or the "GMO" issue, but all aspects of our food industry, and IMO, it's alarming.

I can agree with you that the film we are discussing may be agenda-driven, and biased, but you have still not said a single word of why the point they are making (not "how" they are making it) is invalid, or why you defend (or even understand) why Monsanto's practices are beneficial to all of us as a free market.

And to point, nobody has answered the original question: Where can we view the movie?

I don't have the answer, but here is a pretty good list of movies on the subject of GMO's and food supply. (There is a link to the TRAILER of SEED: The untold story)

https://gmo-awareness.com/resources/...-gmo-and-more/

EDIT: By no means do I agree with all of these movies (have not seen most of them), just a listing and a resource. One book that really changed my perspective was "In Defense of Food". It was about the benefits of whole foods, over the processed foods we eat today, and it took a look at the upside and downside of processed foods. Real eye-opener to me. It didn't radically change how I eat, but certainly influenced it, and allowed me to make decisions with a greater sense of purpose.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:23 PM

Let's wait for the NOVA on GMOS

Oh wait a legitimate org has reported on the issues PBS - harvest of fear

And i have nothing to say about GMOs I do have something to say about acting like a far left take on an issue is interesting or even worthwhile

and I allready said it

So whatever

Old 09-20-2016, 01:24 PM

9,955 posts, read 7,194,431 times
Why?

Old 09-20-2016, 02:46 PM

186 posts, read 101,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post

I acknowledged that the film itself is biased, but I also mentioned that I've done much external learning on the subject of our food supply, and not just the seed issue, or the "GMO" issue, but all aspects of our food industry, and IMO, it's alarming.

I can agree with you that the film we are discussing may be agenda-driven, and biased, but you have still not said a single word of why the point they are making (not "how" they are making it) is invalid, or why you defend (or even understand) why Monsanto's practices are beneficial to all of us as a free market.

And to point, nobody has answered the original question: Where can we view the movie?

I don't have the answer, but here is a pretty good list of movies on the subject of GMO's and food supply. (There is a link to the TRAILER of SEED: The untold story)

https://gmo-awareness.com/resources/...-gmo-and-more/

EDIT: By no means do I agree with all of these movies (have not seen most of them), just a listing and a resource. One book that really changed my perspective was "In Defense of Food". It was about the benefits of whole foods, over the processed foods we eat today, and it took a look at the upside and downside of processed foods. Real eye-opener to me. It didn't radically change how I eat, but certainly influenced it, and allowed me to make decisions with a greater sense of purpose.
I'm not sure I understand your comments directed at me. Or maybe you quoted the wrong person?

Judging by the link, the movie can be screened at North Hills, IF there are 60 people who reserve seating. However, there are currently only 2 people reserved, and the deadline to reach 60 is 12 days.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:02 PM

594 posts, read 700,729 times
I don't have any problems with GMO's at all. I believe the public hysteria surrounding them is largely not based in fact.

I do have issues with the way Monsanto does business...suing people over seeds etc. Its not a company I respect.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:03 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,946,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
I do have issues with the way Monsanto does business...suing people over seeds etc. Its not a company I respect.
So you think it's ok to not pay for technology that someone else has developed? Patents have no place in society? I think you need to understand why Monsanto sues people over seeds. They develop the technology and sell that technology with the understanding that you not copy that technology for your own benefit. A farmer saving his/her soybean seed to replant next year is, in essence, copying technology for their own benefit. By the way, every seed company that has their own proprietary technology does the same thing. Further, every company that has proprietary technology, regardless of what it is, follows the same principles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden