Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 08:29 AM

11,202 posts, read 8,246,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wake74 View Post
Why would any company invest 10+ years to bring a new seed variety to market, if that seed technology was not going to be protected (and enforced) by patents. It's a business not a charity. A business has to reasonable expect a profit if they are going to invest all the money into R&D.

If people think we are going to feed the exploding global population with the same seed varieties of 100 or 200 years ago, my opinion is they are mistaken. It's going to take technology at lots of levels to feed the future population.
I think most people would agree with that. Where they disagree is that Monsanto is going after people that DON'T use that seed. People should have the choice to use the seeds of 100 years ago. In a free market, the incentive to use your product has to be "because it is better". Not "because you fear big brother coming in and destroying your family business for non-compliance".

That is the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 08:59 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,928,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
I wouldn't have a problem if they only went after willful violators but that is not the case. Do some research.
If you purchase this technology you have to sign a license to use the tech. Ignorance is no excuse of the law. Suggest you do your homework.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:30 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,345,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Wow. ONE person says, "hippie garbage," and you are ashamed of an entire nation?

Anyway, I am light years ahead of you...
I got there months ago on the National Ignorance Night Train Express, driven by:
Donald Trump
Bernie Sanders
Hillary Clinton
Ted Cruz
Marco Rubio

Think I will have me a GMO treat to settle my stomach now...
LOL Hmm Mike the only problem with your post is that you capitalized words...and yet failed to make a cute acronym out of them: National Ignorance Night Train Express.

NINTE is not very sassy. On the other hand, I do appreciate your sarcasm.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenguista View Post
Ahhh the lazy, uninformed, and sheep-like response of "hippie garbage". This nation scares me anymore with so many people that are unable to process info and form their own opinion.

I personally don't agree with the blanket statement of organic is better movement, but Monsanto is extremely dangerous and bad for everyone involved. To write off an anti-Monsanto film as "hippie garbage" makes me ashamed of how informed we are as a nation on topics like these.
Flamenguista that may be it. People seem to feel helpless about this and stuff like the warming planet. I guess that may be a natuaral reaction to issues that are too big to fix.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:32 PM

656 posts, read 1,203,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
issues that are too big to fix.
first time coming across this phrase....people have given up fighting against the giant corporations!

Old 09-22-2016, 01:09 PM

4,315 posts, read 3,969,723 times
I like Monsanto , RoundUp , and GMO SEEDS.

Because of them, much less herbicide is required per acre than before.

Shouldn't less herbicides please you ?

Old 09-22-2016, 04:13 PM

4,560 posts, read 6,262,422 times
"I like Monsanto , RoundUp , and GMO SEEDS.
Because of them, much less herbicide is required per acre than before.

Appears as tho' that is contrary to the evidence.

Superweeds....becoming resistant to Round-Up

"Results
Herbicide-resistant crop technology has led to a 239 million kilogram (527 million pound) increase in herbicide use in the United States between 1996 and 2011, while Bt crops have reduced insecticide applications by 56 million kilograms (123 million pounds). Overall, pesticide use increased by an estimated 183 million kgs (404 million pounds), or about 7%".

"Conclusions
Contrary to often-repeated claims that today’s genetically-engineered crops have, and are reducing pesticide use, the spread of glyphosate-resistant weeds in herbicide-resistant weed management systems has brought about substantial increases in the number and volume of herbicides applied. If new genetically engineered forms of corn and soybeans tolerant of 2,4-D are approved, the volume of 2,4-D sprayed could drive herbicide usage upward by another approximate 50%. The magnitude of increases in herbicide use on herbicide-resistant hectares has dwarfed the reduction in insecticide use on Bt crops over the past 16 years, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future." Impacts of genetically engineered crops on pesticide use in the U.S. -- the first sixteen years | Environmental Sciences Europe | Full Text

Graph of superweed resistance

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 09-23-2016, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc99 View Post
first time coming across this phrase....people have given up fighting against the giant corporations!
Kinkytoes coined it.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:54 AM

684 posts, read 435,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"I like Monsanto , RoundUp , and GMO SEEDS.
Because of them, much less herbicide is required per acre than before."

Appears as tho' that is contrary to the evidence. Superweeds....becoming resistant to Round-Up

"Results
Herbicide-resistant crop technology has led to a 239 million kilogram (527 million pound) increase in herbicide use in the United States between 1996 and 2011, while Bt crops have reduced insecticide applications by 56 million kilograms (123 million pounds). Overall, pesticide use increased by an estimated 183 million kgs (404 million pounds), or about 7%".

"Conclusions
Contrary to often-repeated claims that today’s genetically-engineered crops have, and are reducing pesticide use, the spread of glyphosate-resistant weeds in herbicide-resistant weed management systems has brought about substantial increases in the number and volume of herbicides applied. If new genetically engineered forms of corn and soybeans tolerant of 2,4-D are approved, the volume of 2,4-D sprayed could drive herbicide usage upward by another approximate 50%. The magnitude of increases in herbicide use on herbicide-resistant hectares has dwarfed the reduction in insecticide use on Bt crops over the past 16 years, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future." Impacts of genetically engineered crops on pesticide use in the U.S. -- the first sixteen years | Environmental Sciences Europe | Full Text

Graph of superweed resistance

Regards
Gemstone1
Thank you for pointing out the FACTS.

Old 01-07-2017, 11:25 AM

4,315 posts, read 3,969,723 times
I farmed long before RoundUp was invented.

It took more herbicide per acre before than after.

I don't have any weeds resistant to RoundUp on my farm.

Also, RoundUp resistance sugar beets have eliminated the need to hire as many Mexicans to work the sugar beet fields as before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden