U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2016, 11:08 AM

38 posts, read 68,902 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am trying to plant flower bulbs on a slope which gets moderate sun through the day. Can someone recommend a company from which to purchase these bulbs ? Every site seems to have reviews from people saying the bulbs never came up in spring !
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 11:18 AM

1,669 posts, read 799,701 times
I always buy them at local nursery. Never had an issue with them not coming up.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:23 PM

2,379 posts, read 962,109 times
I will not buy bulbs from any company other than John Scheepers. Absolutely huge bulbs, with a very high yield of flowers.

https://www.johnscheepers.com/

Also, their prices are cheaper than, say Dutch Gardens.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:26 PM

2,379 posts, read 962,109 times
P.S. Don't make the mistake of putting fertilizer in the hole, underneath the bulb. Doing that discourages the bulb from making a nice healthy root system (the fertilizer lets them be lazy LOL). If you want to fertilize, work fertilizer into the soil over the bulbs after you've planted them.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:39 PM

10,715 posts, read 3,965,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
I will not buy bulbs from any company other than John Scheepers. Absolutely huge bulbs, with a very high yield of flowers.

https://www.johnscheepers.com/

Also, their prices are cheaper than, say Dutch Gardens.
Another rep point for Scheepers or their sister company Van Engelen's.

Great quality.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:43 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,059,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Another rep point for Scheepers or their sister company Van Engelen's.

Great quality.

Agree. I've had good luck ordering from both.

Old 10-07-2016, 03:34 PM

4,777 posts, read 4,772,617 times
Knowing which bulbs to plant is really important. Before ordering, call the bulb company and tell them your exact area and what the planting space is like. The reason for some of those complaints you read was probably the people bought the wrong bulbs for their weather and environment conditions. For example, tulips are prolific north of me but in Raleigh they almost never return. Narcissus grow and return in more regions while hyacinth bulbs and some others are kind of picky.

Old 10-07-2016, 04:15 PM

3,302 posts, read 4,353,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefeather1978 View Post
Hi,

I am trying to plant flower bulbs on a slope which gets moderate sun through the day. Can someone recommend a company from which to purchase these bulbs ? Every site seems to have reviews from people saying the bulbs never came up in spring !
What kind of bulbs are you going for? Make sure you look to see whatever bulbs you are going for, that they are for your particular zone. Are you in a zone where you may need to dig up bulbs after each season.

Since they are on a slope, will they receive enough water to soak in the soil, or does it run down the slope?

I have had bulbs not come up after planting hundreds, but the following year, some of them came up, some didn't. I planted gladiola bulbs, the leaves came up one year, but no flowers. They never came up again. No problem with daffodils, some tulips came up, others didn't. Crocuses do fine. Alliums some came up, others didn't. What else have I planted that's a bulb...I've forgotten.

Have you thought about daylily's, or maybe bearded iris?

If you haven't checked out ratings on Dave's Garden, that's a great site to see how company's are rated by their customers.

The Watchdog 30

Old 10-08-2016, 04:57 PM

38 posts, read 68,902 times
thanks for the pointers ! I am looking at populating about 300 sqft along a retaining wall on a slope with partial to full sun. In the PNW,looking at crocus, hyacinth, windflower. Any other suggestions ?

Old 10-08-2016, 09:52 PM

3,302 posts, read 4,353,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefeather1978 View Post
thanks for the pointers ! I am looking at populating about 300 sqft along a retaining wall on a slope with partial to full sun. In the PNW,looking at crocus, hyacinth, windflower. Any other suggestions ?
I guess, trying to find bulbs that will bloom at different times and different heights is a good idea. Daffodils are a great flower to add and are very easy to push up. You can find some nice varieties at the big box stores. I've gotten a lot at Walmart. I still suggest daylily's and bearded iris to add to the mix

Are you putting mulch in that area to keep the weeds down?

I don't purchase from Brecks, but they have a nice catalog that shows you a lot of bulb varieties, esp. daffodils. They have a lot of other bulbs as well.

Buy Daffodils - Premium Dutch Daffodil Bulbs

My friend also orders from Schreiner's, and she likes Bluestone as well. I don't order much on the internet other than seeds and a few plants now and then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden