U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 09:02 PM

11,111 posts, read 5,987,121 times

Advertisements

Denver: gorgeous trio of hardy red rose bushes with tons of blossoms. Snapdragons, too. Tomatoes, peppers, and herbs are still going strong, although I have to watch the weather to ensure I cover them at night when the temperature drops too low. Zucchini are played out, but the butternut squash is holding on. Just waiting for the rinds on the last few to harden before picking and storing for the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 10:47 AM

10,450 posts, read 5,342,461 times
We are in zone 5 and just about every annual I planted is still alive. My garden would be as well if I hadn't started taking it out last week. I left my broccoli in and let it flower because there are three species of bees feeding on it. Our bumble bees are in trouble here and I see at least 3 of them out there every day.

I also have two pumpkins still on the vine but I will be picking them on Tuesday and taking the vines out. Our pick up for garden debris will be on Wednesday and the last one for the season. Our frost dates are later and later and there is still not one in sight. Maybe in November. Unfortunately it effects our fall leaves. They're less vibrant then they were decades ago.

Old 10-23-2016, 06:49 PM

2,466 posts, read 1,034,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
We are in zone 5 and just about every annual I planted is still alive. My garden would be as well if I hadn't started taking it out last week. I left my broccoli in and let it flower because there are three species of bees feeding on it. Our bumble bees are in trouble here and I see at least 3 of them out there every day.

I also have two pumpkins still on the vine but I will be picking them on Tuesday and taking the vines out. Our pick up for garden debris will be on Wednesday and the last one for the season. Our frost dates are later and later and there is still not one in sight. Maybe in November. Unfortunately it effects our fall leaves. They're less vibrant then they were decades ago.
We had such a strange winter here last year (zone 7b). It was mostly mild and the fall was mild, too. I know someone who was picking cherry tomatoes in December!

Old 10-23-2016, 06:55 PM

My coleus still look great, too. I've let them bloom and go to seed so I can collect the seed. Like so many other plants, they can take the cold, but as soon as the first hard frost comes, they keel over.

Also forgot to mention my "Rockapulco" impatiens, both "Coral Reef" and "Purple", are still going strong. Even in the shade, with good watering, they were unhappy in the summer heat. But they have perked up since the weather cooled off a bit and the "Coral Reef" plant in particular is blooming like crazy. Alas, first frost will kill them off.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:07 AM

10,450 posts, read 5,342,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
We had such a strange winter here last year (zone 7b). It was mostly mild and the fall was mild, too. I know someone who was picking cherry tomatoes in December!

Wow that is strange. I've never seen anything still alive here in December, but I have had some annuals come back to life in the spring. The annuals I planted in May are still beautiful and I suspect will be alive another month, but they'll be gone as soon as a good North wind blows in.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:34 AM

11,111 posts, read 5,987,121 times
It's been weird here in Denver, too. It's unusually mild; ten degrees above average for this time of year. We haven't pulled out the first bit of winter gear yet, and I'm still harvesting a ton of tomatoes and peppers.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:57 PM

13,474 posts, read 12,876,130 times
Just a tad south of New Hampshire--I pulled the tomato plants out today and brought the green tomatoes inside. Sedum Autumn Joy is doing fine. Geraniums were brought inside but the ones outside are still alive. Morning Glories are still fine. I wonder about the Marguerite Daisy--if it could make it through the winter as a house plant. Anyone know?

Old 10-24-2016, 08:45 PM

They are talking about frost in NJ tomorrow night. I guess it is time to think about harvesting and pickling all the green cherry tomatoes. If we do get a frost, a lot of stuff will die, that is for sure. But some, like the chrysanthemums and toad lilies, will hang on and keep blooming. Takes more than one frost to kill them.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:16 AM

6,361 posts, read 11,871,563 times
I've pulled up some of the summer annuals, but many are still blooming. Loving the fragrant nicotiana. One of the garden forum posters recommended this plant to me a few years ago, and sure enough I love it. For hardy plants:
orange and burgundy mums - survived in a pot
pink begonia grandis
fall-blooming witch hazel
The wild white asters
goldenrod
baby joe pye weed
stella d'oro daylilly
hot lips chelone
obedient plant
Sharifa Asma and Honey Sweet roses

Old 10-25-2016, 09:51 AM

41,266 posts, read 40,492,916 times
Central NJ: I planted moonflowers in mid-July. I finally got flowers this week. We had a few days of warm weather. They are lovely.

Still have some cherry tomatoes turning red on my plant and one more jalapeno pepper clinging to the stem.

I do not have big gardens like most of you, but I manage to have a few things out in my fenced-in patio/garden area behind my condo! I also have wildflowers still in bloom around the patio itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden