U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 07:33 PM

3,670 posts, read 4,783,974 times

Advertisements

Zone 7b:

Sheffield Daisy, dianthus, lots of butterfly bushes, roses, star gladiolus, mums, salvia, Russian sage. two tomatoe plants survived the heat of summer (lost about 40 of them) with these 2 plants still having tomatoes, and some blooms still

I was out at a daylily farm last week and saw a few plants that still had a bloom on them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 11:19 AM

2,920 posts, read 1,303,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I've pulled up some of the summer annuals, but many are still blooming. Loving the fragrant nicotiana. One of the garden forum posters recommended this plant to me a few years ago, and sure enough I love it. For hardy plants:
orange and burgundy mums - survived in a pot
pink begonia grandis
fall-blooming witch hazel
The wild white asters
goldenrod
baby joe pye weed
stella d'oro daylilly
hot lips chelone
obedient plant
Sharifa Asma and Honey Sweet roses
Yes, love nicotiana! It is amazingly sturdy. We have a plant that grew near the vent pipe for our gas furnace. That plant lived last year well into December, enjoying the warm, moist venting from the furnace!

Old 10-26-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Central NJ: I planted moonflowers in mid-July. I finally got flowers this week. We had a few days of warm weather. They are lovely.

Still have some cherry tomatoes turning red on my plant and one more jalapeno pepper clinging to the stem.

I do not have big gardens like most of you, but I manage to have a few things out in my fenced-in patio/garden area behind my condo! I also have wildflowers still in bloom around the patio itself.
Love moonflowers, too, but they can be maddeningly slow to bloom. I didn't plant them this past summer, but if I plant them again, I will start them indoors, well ahead of the normal growing season. They are so fragrant and huge.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:22 AM

Frost last night killed off most of the stems and leaves of my cherry tomato plant. Glad I grabbed all the red, green and everything-in-between tomatoes yesterday. Chrysanthemums and marigolds still look happy. I haven't gotten out to look at the whole garden yet.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:52 AM

1,646 posts, read 555,265 times
zone 8a

most of the flowers are still blooming (i was gone most of the summer so its a small garden)- cosmos, pansies, nasturtium..
the tomatoes and zuchnini don't like the damp and drizzle and have stopped, my chili pepper plant is still going strong and so are the collards and the arugula resowed so thats good.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:39 PM

Frost was really tough on my garden. I looked around this afternoon and felt sad to see so many lovely plants dead. Such is life when you live in zone 7b! Some things did survive and look all the more inspiring now.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:17 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,056,011 times
Here in central Indiana's zone 6a, a few things are still blooming, mainly things like mums, pansies and many varieties of rose bush are still in bloom��

Old 10-29-2016, 06:56 AM

Chrysanthemums are still going strong. Surprised the marigolds have survived 2 frosts, although their greenery looks worse for the wear.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:12 PM

23,067 posts, read 28,285,450 times
I'm in VA, and my dang tropicals are still blooming like crazy. Mandevillas, bouganvilla, allamanda, dipladena...it's crazy. I have pumpkins out with them, I can't bring myself to cut them back and bring them into the garage while they still look so pretty.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:11 PM

9,171 posts, read 3,559,285 times
Everything. I'm in California and I have lavender lilac blooming, this usually spring blooming. I just picked 4 nice pink tomatoes, they are planted in late Aug/early Sep. I have 5-6 zuchini plants that are doing really well. They were started from seeds in Sep, mostly male flowers though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden