U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-31-2016, 01:09 AM
 
Location: British Columbia
3,698 posts, read 4,208,954 times
Reputation: 4669

Advertisements

I'm in coastal south west British Columbia. I think some of my plants are confused this autumn. The Easter lillies are now blooming for the second time this year. There's several huge clumps of white allysum that have been blooming non-stop for over 19 months now. Then there's heathers, roses, dahlias, portulaca, bee balm, salvia, red lobelia, shasta daisies, celandine wood poppies, California poppies, marjorum, rosemary, thyme, geraniums, snapdragons, pansies, tuberous begonias, marigolds, petunias, Hawaiian pineapple lillies, African daisies, Russian sage, fuschias, lavender, hydrangeas, pink flowering everbearing strawberries and primulas - all are blooming. There are new shoots coming up out of the ground for the crocuses, grape hyacinths and bluebells and the hellebore has new flowers just opening up three months ahead of time.

.

Last edited by Zoisite; 10-31-2016 at 01:30 AM..
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-31-2016, 05:23 AM
 
Location: N of citrus, S of decent corn
28,542 posts, read 35,651,316 times
Reputation: 45238
I just pulled out the tired stuff from my window box, and planted pansies. They will live through almost the whole winter here in zone 8.
I have some beet seeds to plant today, once I finish cleaning up the vegetable garden. All that remains are rosemary, thyme, and oregano.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2016, 06:29 AM
 
Location: 76102
1,680 posts, read 518,635 times
Reputation: 4642
Marigolds, Impatients, Periwinkle, Four O'Clocks all doing nicely, but then I am in TX and it was 92 and sunny yesterday.


Indian Hawthorns beginning their fall bloom.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2016, 07:36 AM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
24,462 posts, read 41,395,283 times
Reputation: 21429
We have been in the 40s at night but still warmer than normal in 8B with a record high 67 last week. We still have blooming on the impatiens, geraniums, and pansies, normally all would be dead by now.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2016, 07:39 AM
 
Location: N of citrus, S of decent corn
28,542 posts, read 35,651,316 times
Reputation: 45238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We have been in the 40s at night but still warmer than normal in 8B with a record high 67 last week. We still have blooming on the impatiens, geraniums, and pansies, normally all would be dead by now.
It is so interesting that we are the same zone, but I am here in the Deep South. It is still like summer here.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2016, 08:46 AM
 
2,662 posts, read 1,120,523 times
Reputation: 4775
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I'm in VA, and my dang tropicals are still blooming like crazy. Mandevillas, bouganvilla, allamanda, dipladena...it's crazy. I have pumpkins out with them, I can't bring myself to cut them back and bring them into the garage while they still look so pretty.
I am seriously envious. LOL

My cup and saucer vine has survived 2 frosts and still has tons of flowers. Chrysanthemums look great, too. I cleaned out my dead, dead, DEAD caladiums yesterday. I also took a chance and divided and transplanted a bunch of daylilies. I mulched them really well. I think they will be fine. Hard to kill daylilies. Of course, my back is killing me! What was I thinking when I originally planted them in the ground? Ack. After next spring, all of my daylilies will be in raised beds. I say, "after next spring" because I STILL have daylilies in the ground to divide and transplant and I don't have the raised beds for them yet. Well, that's next year spring's project. This has been a multi-year project, anyway. I don't think I will ever need to buy daylilies again. I get plenty of new ones when I divide them. Notice I said I don't think I will ever need to buy daylilies. Doesn't mean I won't want to buy daylilies.

Big change in the weather from yesterday to day. Was in the low 80s yesterday and today it is in the upper 40s. Yesterday's weather was definitely not typical, though.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2016, 08:48 AM
 
2,662 posts, read 1,120,523 times
Reputation: 4775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I'm in coastal south west British Columbia. I think some of my plants are confused this autumn. The Easter lillies are now blooming for the second time this year. There's several huge clumps of white allysum that have been blooming non-stop for over 19 months now. Then there's heathers, roses, dahlias, portulaca, bee balm, salvia, red lobelia, shasta daisies, celandine wood poppies, California poppies, marjorum, rosemary, thyme, geraniums, snapdragons, pansies, tuberous begonias, marigolds, petunias, Hawaiian pineapple lillies, African daisies, Russian sage, fuschias, lavender, hydrangeas, pink flowering everbearing strawberries and primulas - all are blooming. There are new shoots coming up out of the ground for the crocuses, grape hyacinths and bluebells and the hellebore has new flowers just opening up three months ahead of time.

.
Wow, sounds like your bulbs are a little confused. I never heard of Easter Lilies blooming twice in one year, and crocuses, etc. are usually fast asleep at this time of year. Of course, I am in zone 7b. Enjoy all those beautiful flowers!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2016, 08:10 AM
 
2,158 posts, read 1,457,647 times
Reputation: 1435
Right now my dwarf azaleas are in full bloom.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2016, 10:01 AM
 
Location: Canada
756 posts, read 454,553 times
Reputation: 2227
Just a few asters. Everything else has died off for the season.

Oh, but I still have kale in my veggie garden.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2016, 06:46 AM
 
2,662 posts, read 1,120,523 times
Reputation: 4775
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetluv View Post
Just a few asters. Everything else has died off for the season.

Oh, but I still have kale in my veggie garden.
Mmmm, kale likes it chilly.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top