U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 02:09 AM

3,243 posts, read 3,810,212 times

Advertisements

I'm in coastal south west British Columbia. I think some of my plants are confused this autumn. The Easter lillies are now blooming for the second time this year. There's several huge clumps of white allysum that have been blooming non-stop for over 19 months now. Then there's heathers, roses, dahlias, portulaca, bee balm, salvia, red lobelia, shasta daisies, celandine wood poppies, California poppies, marjorum, rosemary, thyme, geraniums, snapdragons, pansies, tuberous begonias, marigolds, petunias, Hawaiian pineapple lillies, African daisies, Russian sage, fuschias, lavender, hydrangeas, pink flowering everbearing strawberries and primulas - all are blooming. There are new shoots coming up out of the ground for the crocuses, grape hyacinths and bluebells and the hellebore has new flowers just opening up three months ahead of time.

Last edited by Zoisite; 10-31-2016 at 02:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 06:23 AM

26,463 posts, read 33,298,349 times
I just pulled out the tired stuff from my window box, and planted pansies. They will live through almost the whole winter here in zone 8.
I have some beet seeds to plant today, once I finish cleaning up the vegetable garden. All that remains are rosemary, thyme, and oregano.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:29 AM

755 posts, read 188,971 times
Marigolds, Impatients, Periwinkle, Four O'Clocks all doing nicely, but then I am in TX and it was 92 and sunny yesterday.

Indian Hawthorns beginning their fall bloom.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:36 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
22,959 posts, read 38,100,132 times
We have been in the 40s at night but still warmer than normal in 8B with a record high 67 last week. We still have blooming on the impatiens, geraniums, and pansies, normally all would be dead by now.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:39 AM

26,463 posts, read 33,298,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We have been in the 40s at night but still warmer than normal in 8B with a record high 67 last week. We still have blooming on the impatiens, geraniums, and pansies, normally all would be dead by now.
It is so interesting that we are the same zone, but I am here in the Deep South. It is still like summer here.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:46 AM

2,073 posts, read 790,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I'm in VA, and my dang tropicals are still blooming like crazy. Mandevillas, bouganvilla, allamanda, dipladena...it's crazy. I have pumpkins out with them, I can't bring myself to cut them back and bring them into the garage while they still look so pretty.
I am seriously envious. LOL

My cup and saucer vine has survived 2 frosts and still has tons of flowers. Chrysanthemums look great, too. I cleaned out my dead, dead, DEAD caladiums yesterday. I also took a chance and divided and transplanted a bunch of daylilies. I mulched them really well. I think they will be fine. Hard to kill daylilies. Of course, my back is killing me! What was I thinking when I originally planted them in the ground? Ack. After next spring, all of my daylilies will be in raised beds. I say, "after next spring" because I STILL have daylilies in the ground to divide and transplant and I don't have the raised beds for them yet. Well, that's next year spring's project. This has been a multi-year project, anyway. I don't think I will ever need to buy daylilies again. I get plenty of new ones when I divide them. Notice I said I don't think I will ever need to buy daylilies. Doesn't mean I won't want to buy daylilies.

Big change in the weather from yesterday to day. Was in the low 80s yesterday and today it is in the upper 40s. Yesterday's weather was definitely not typical, though.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I'm in coastal south west British Columbia. I think some of my plants are confused this autumn. The Easter lillies are now blooming for the second time this year. There's several huge clumps of white allysum that have been blooming non-stop for over 19 months now. Then there's heathers, roses, dahlias, portulaca, bee balm, salvia, red lobelia, shasta daisies, celandine wood poppies, California poppies, marjorum, rosemary, thyme, geraniums, snapdragons, pansies, tuberous begonias, marigolds, petunias, Hawaiian pineapple lillies, African daisies, Russian sage, fuschias, lavender, hydrangeas, pink flowering everbearing strawberries and primulas - all are blooming. There are new shoots coming up out of the ground for the crocuses, grape hyacinths and bluebells and the hellebore has new flowers just opening up three months ahead of time.

Wow, sounds like your bulbs are a little confused. I never heard of Easter Lilies blooming twice in one year, and crocuses, etc. are usually fast asleep at this time of year. Of course, I am in zone 7b. Enjoy all those beautiful flowers!

Old 11-01-2016, 09:10 AM

2,036 posts, read 1,296,163 times
Right now my dwarf azaleas are in full bloom.

Old 11-01-2016, 11:01 AM

678 posts, read 398,056 times
Just a few asters. Everything else has died off for the season.

Oh, but I still have kale in my veggie garden.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetluv View Post
Just a few asters. Everything else has died off for the season.

Oh, but I still have kale in my veggie garden.
Mmmm, kale likes it chilly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden