Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 11:58 AM

287 posts, read 896,802 times

Advertisements

Our gardens in Phoenix are JUST COMING TO LIFE! This is our planting time of the year when we CAN garden. Right now I'm growing sugar snap peas, carrots, radish, lettuce, cucumbers, tomato, peppers, beets, chard, bok choy, all manner of herbs, and will be planting more over the coming weeks. I have some nice micro-climates in my yard that are warmer so its perfect for winter (but not the summer - makes it almost too difficult to grown much more then eggplant). Sunflowers, vinca, roses and more are very happy right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 02:11 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Weeds.

Also: mums, alyssum, echinacea, blanketflower, and asters. My white lilacs just made their fall appearance as well.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:08 PM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by once-upon-chicago View Post
Our gardens in Phoenix are JUST COMING TO LIFE! This is our planting time of the year when we CAN garden. Right now I'm growing sugar snap peas, carrots, radish, lettuce, cucumbers, tomato, peppers, beets, chard, bok choy, all manner of herbs, and will be planting more over the coming weeks. I have some nice micro-climates in my yard that are warmer so its perfect for winter (but not the summer - makes it almost too difficult to grown much more then eggplant). Sunflowers, vinca, roses and more are very happy right now.
Yes, that makes sense. I'll bet the summer heat makes gardening very challenging in Phoenix. We had a very hot, dry summer here in NJ -- nowhere near the heat that Phoenix gets -- and it stressed the plants badly. Once the weather cooled off, they came to life again.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Weeds.

Also: mums, alyssum, echinacea, blanketflower, and asters. My white lilacs just made their fall appearance as well.
My asters went bye-bye a couple weeks ago. Got plenty of weeds, too. LOL Mostly mums at this point, and a few stubborn snapdragons. And one really stubborn daylily with 3 buds on it. I am curious to see if they will open.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:45 PM

695 posts, read 702,471 times
Marigolds, mums, geraniums, a few roses, and begonias. I'm surprised I still have so many flowers left,

Old 11-03-2016, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriact View Post
Marigolds, mums, geraniums, a few roses, and begonias. I'm surprised I still have so many flowers left,
Me, too, but I am not gonna complain (not saying you were complaining, either, to be clear). I think of all the time I spend staring out my kitchen windows at my raised beds during the winter, willing the cold and snow to go away and let my bulbs bloom.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:53 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Me, too, but I am not gonna complain (not saying you were complaining, either, to be clear). I think of all the time I spend staring out my kitchen windows at my raised beds during the winter, willing the cold and snow to go away and let my bulbs bloom.
Fill your kitchen windows with a winter distraction.

Phalaenopsis orchids bloom for 4 - 5 months during the winter. The blooms are exquisite, many colours, and will help to take your mind off everything else that is sleeping outside under the snow.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:10 PM

678 posts, read 437,883 times
One of the reasons that the end of the year brought tears (amidst too lying sick for 2 wks.), was that
even on December 24 , so much was still blooming, & too growing. That kind of unusually warm state of affair from early Spring thru fall carried on for the past 2 years around here, so plants pretty much thought it would continue...with many blooming 2nd time, & too my landscaping thought it had no limits (even w/ 5 fractures), & i even agreed to try showing at the Fair, with amazing results.
Now
posting in this (last fall) thread, is again saying "Good bye, & Thank you all, everyone ... of you" to all the plants that could not survive ensuing crazy weather.--- So in December were still dancin'... the pure white rose "Honor" (10 blossoms), 4 dahlias, 8 mini roses, too 4 prize-winning Radiant-blue petunias, fuschias, begonias, snapdragons, verbena, Supertrouper carnations, dianthus, 8 gerbera-daisies, matrix Rose wing pansies, matrix Frizzle sizzle orange pansy, mini ruffled pansies, & also the matrix morpheus kind, 8 lobelia, celosia, echibeckia Summerina, 6 zinnias, marigolds, patchwork cosmic orange impatiens, violas, even 1 portulaca, allysum, sweet william, & especially the 4 TRUE-blue Angel salvia patens, the equally stunning baby-blue plumbago, russian sage, bellflowers, Tie-dye violets, Million Bells calibrachoa superbells 'Double Lavender': these mini-petunias were more like an eternal cascade of mini-Roses... , plus at least 10 more kinds of plants, yet the most precious this year was when I asked 1 of the delphiniums could it send UP one more stalk of the Lavender-colored my favorite. And sure enuf, end of November it did I hugged it, what joy...
of course, there's the edible presents too:
when tomato plants were at last pulled out, with oodles for bags continue ripening, & sending still lots of flowers, Amidst them on the ground lay 4 healthy cucumbers, even the 2nd. set of grn peas clinging to trellises, & a broccoli amidst the kales, & of course the ever-hardy herbs marjoram, rosemary, thyme, & especially chives & parsley...
and
Fruits, oh heavens! ate the last blueberries in Nov, & the last raspberries in December too. We are so richly Blessed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden