U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 11:50 AM

2,929 posts, read 1,303,985 times

Advertisements

OK, I know some of you live where it is warm and I will be totally envious when I read what is blooming in your garden. Here is what is still going strong in Zone 7b (no hard frost in this area yet):

Marigolds. They are bigger, better and far more fragrant than they were in the summer.
Zinnias. Worn out, but still getting new buds and pretty flowers.
Snapdragons. They were hurting during the hot summer, but they have roared back and are gorgeous.
Chrysanthemums. Of course. Boatloads of them.
Toad lilies. Another plant that waits until fall to bloom. Always so happy to see them.
Begonias. They are only so-so during the summer, but in the fall, they start blooming gigantic blooms like crazy. Will bloom right up until the first frost and then they will collapse, as if they melted.
Anise Hyssop. Some are still blooming. They are mainly "volunteers" from plants that went to seed and dropped the seed in my raised beds.
Shamrock (Oxalis). A "volunteer" I found in my garden junk pile. I transplanted them and they apparently have dreams of world dominance. Spreading like crazy, blooming like crazy.
Daylily. I have 2 defiant yellow daylilies that are re-blooming and refuse to admit it is fall. Yay!
Torenia. Looking a little bedraggled, but still sending out large, lovely purple blooms.
Salvia ("Amistad"). Does anything stop this plant? Dozens of bees on it at all times during the day.
Salvia ("Shell Dancer"). Pretty pink blooms are a nice contrast to the deep purple Amistad.
Ruellia "Elegant". First time planting this pretty plant this year, and it is still blooming since the summer.
Cup & Saucer Vine. Blooming like crazy! Didn't like the hot weather too much, but now it has taken off. I have heard it will bloom until a hard frost. Bonus: its leaves are now red and purple. Lovely!
Celosia ("Ruby Parfait"). Cheery fuchsia color goes beautifully with my chrysanthemums.
Primrose. OK, not blooming yet, but sprouting lots of new green leaves. Experience tells me that I will get a random flower or two unexpectedly on a cold day. Can't wait.
Scarlet runner beans. Still sending out both pretty red flowers and bean pods.
Scented geranium (Attar of Rose). OK, not much of a bloomer, but still gorgeously-scented foliage. And once in a while, tiny little white flowers. A definite fave!
Sedum. Some varieties are spent, but some are still flowering.

Honorable mention, even though they are not flowers:

Tomatoes (Cherry - "Sweet 100") still producing tons of tomatoes and still flowering. Not that the flowers now will produce tomatoes. Unless we have a REALLY mild winter.
Figs. Still getting fruit from our little fig tree. Very sweet this year; I think they liked the heat!

How about you? What flower(s) is(are) lifting your spirits as the days grow shorter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 05:26 AM

1,416 posts, read 573,685 times
That's quite a list you have there Lori. While the weather has been very moderate for this time of year, most of my flowers are all gone. About a month, or so back we received our first good rainfall for the entire summer, followed by dense clouds for another two days. Shortly after, just about everything in my yard had gotten hit with fungus. (Leaves turning black with a fuzziness on the stems.) I was forced to cut 90% of all my plants down to ground level. The only flowering plant to survive was my Heatwave Blaze Sage/Salvia.

Old 10-22-2016, 12:01 PM

4,992 posts, read 1,144,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
OK, I know some of you live where it is warm and I will be totally envious when I read what is blooming in your garden. Here is what is still going strong in Zone 7b (no hard frost in this area yet):

Marigolds. They are bigger, better and far more fragrant than they were in the summer.
Zinnias. Worn out, but still getting new buds and pretty flowers.
Snapdragons. They were hurting during the hot summer, but they have roared back and are gorgeous.
Chrysanthemums. Of course. Boatloads of them.
Toad lilies. Another plant that waits until fall to bloom. Always so happy to see them.
Begonias. They are only so-so during the summer, but in the fall, they start blooming gigantic blooms like crazy. Will bloom right up until the first frost and then they will collapse, as if they melted.
Anise Hyssop. Some are still blooming. They are mainly "volunteers" from plants that went to seed and dropped the seed in my raised beds.
Shamrock (Oxalis). A "volunteer" I found in my garden junk pile. I transplanted them and they apparently have dreams of world dominance. Spreading like crazy, blooming like crazy.
Daylily. I have 2 defiant yellow daylilies that are re-blooming and refuse to admit it is fall. Yay!
Torenia. Looking a little bedraggled, but still sending out large, lovely purple blooms.
Salvia ("Amistad"). Does anything stop this plant? Dozens of bees on it at all times during the day.
Salvia ("Shell Dancer"). Pretty pink blooms are a nice contrast to the deep purple Amistad.
Ruellia "Elegant". First time planting this pretty plant this year, and it is still blooming since the summer.
Cup & Saucer Vine. Blooming like crazy! Didn't like the hot weather too much, but now it has taken off. I have heard it will bloom until a hard frost. Bonus: its leaves are now red and purple. Lovely!
Celosia ("Ruby Parfait"). Cheery fuchsia color goes beautifully with my chrysanthemums.
Primrose. OK, not blooming yet, but sprouting lots of new green leaves. Experience tells me that I will get a random flower or two unexpectedly on a cold day. Can't wait.
Scarlet runner beans. Still sending out both pretty red flowers and bean pods.
Scented geranium (Attar of Rose). OK, not much of a bloomer, but still gorgeously-scented foliage. And once in a while, tiny little white flowers. A definite fave!
Sedum. Some varieties are spent, but some are still flowering.

Honorable mention, even though they are not flowers:

Tomatoes (Cherry - "Sweet 100") still producing tons of tomatoes and still flowering. Not that the flowers now will produce tomatoes. Unless we have a REALLY mild winter.
Figs. Still getting fruit from our little fig tree. Very sweet this year; I think they liked the heat!

How about you? What flower(s) is(are) lifting your spirits as the days grow shorter?
Yours sounds mindblowingly uplifting! I live on Long Island & have the mums, my carpet roses re-bloomed but not as profusely (i.e. no carpet), lots of Montauk daisies, & a very large plant which gets bigger every year. I don't know the name of the last but it has small purple flowers that bloom all summer & currently - the black bumble bees love them! Also have been enjoying the leaves changing colors, falling & blowing around.

Edit to include: I have a very large kiwi vine also but no kiwis yet - maybe next year.

Old 10-22-2016, 12:14 PM

4,986 posts, read 3,845,168 times
I planted petunias in pots inside last April, and was able to put them outside in mid May. I kept them alive through the intense summer heat by watering in early mornings. Now, in late October, they are still blooming even though we've already had a few nights of freeze. I'm going to leave them out until the last bloom is gone.

Petunias successfully blooming for six months straight! That's a record for me!

I also have a huge pumpkin vine that volunteered in my yard (I'm thinking from some kind of animal's poop) and it is still growing and producing lots of beautiful huge orange flowers. No punkins, though!

Old 10-22-2016, 01:16 PM

15,444 posts, read 10,815,371 times
Frost is starting to sprout. Sure sign that in a couple of weeks snow drifts and icicles will be in bloom

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 10-22-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Yours sounds mindblowingly uplifting! I live on Long Island & have the mums, my carpet roses re-bloomed but not as profusely (i.e. no carpet), lots of Montauk daisies, & a very large plant which gets bigger every year. I don't know the name of the last but it has small purple flowers that bloom all summer & currently - the black bumble bees love them! Also have been enjoying the leaves changing colors, falling & blowing around.

Edit to include: I have a very large kiwi vine also but no kiwis yet - maybe next year.
Montauk daisies are unbelievable this year on LI! They are really not lovers of wet feet. Given the little rain we had makes them happy. The other plant; Could it be a butterfly bush?

Old 10-22-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Frost is starting to sprout. Sure sign that in a couple of weeks snow drifts and icicles will be in bloom
OH my I feel SAD setting in. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...36593572,d.cWw

Old 10-22-2016, 04:01 PM

14,770 posts, read 21,358,526 times
my geranuinms look great, were here in the city, but have lined both planters in front and a few long flower pots in the back alley with red geraniums, I tried to think of what plants last until the first frost, so as to get as much out of the plant as possible, but our red geraniums look great in front of our green shrubbery. Im glad I made this chouce, it was a good one.

Next year I will plant red and white, for a change.

Old 10-22-2016, 07:13 PM

4,992 posts, read 1,144,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Montauk daisies are unbelievable this year on LI! They are really not lovers of wet feet. Given the little rain we had makes them happy. The other plant; Could it be a butterfly bush?
I agree about the daisies! & I really like them, very cheerful, look like little smiling faces to me somehow? I like how they sway in the wind also. That other plant is not a butterfly bush - I like them too & have some, they still have some blooms but getting spent. I'll try to either identify or take a photo of the other & attach here. I don't know if it's native to LI but seems to do very well here.

Old 10-22-2016, 07:37 PM

2,929 posts, read 1,303,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
That's quite a list you have there Lori. While the weather has been very moderate for this time of year, most of my flowers are all gone. About a month, or so back we received our first good rainfall for the entire summer, followed by dense clouds for another two days. Shortly after, just about everything in my yard had gotten hit with fungus. (Leaves turning black with a fuzziness on the stems.) I was forced to cut 90% of all my plants down to ground level. The only flowering plant to survive was my Heatwave Blaze Sage/Salvia.
Oh, no! Fungus after your first good rainfall! That is just too cruel of Mother Nature. We had a very dry summer, too, here in southwestern NJ. I don't think I have ever watered my raised beds and flower pots so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden