U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 09:58 AM

14,174 posts, read 22,500,688 times

Advertisements

Here in Denver, I have crocus coming up and a "lenten rose" that's shooting up - I just planted it last Fall, so I'm not sure what to expect with that. I think I'm supposed to prune the old green leaves from last year at this point.

Also robins and other birds have returned, and temps. are warmer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 05:28 PM

3,751 posts, read 10,206,509 times
Here in Cincinnati - not warmer yet!! Unfortunately we're about 10 -15 degrees below normal. We should be in the '40's.. this weekend its supposed to creep up - I can't wait!

Saw the first sad/lonely Robin in JANUARY!! He looked confused! Now I see them all over (but there's snow and ice on the ground - so they're still confused!). Plus I hear many more bird calls everywhere.

No flowers here, as I'm in a rental.. but the house we're building will be done in 1 month and I've already got bulbs I'm itching to put in the ground!

Enjoy the Hellebore (Sp?) -- the lenten rose -- I had several in Michigan and they are just beautiful. I left the old growth (dead and dying) until it began to bloom, as I figured it helped to insulate it. then I cut the old stalks back to let the blooms and the new growth shine.

Can't Wait for SPRING!!

Old 02-28-2008, 01:08 AM

4,552 posts, read 13,147,460 times
It definetly feels like spring here in Albuquerque I cant wait to get gardening.I just unwrapped my palm trees.Nights are still cold but not as cold,I came home at almost 10:00 tonight with no jacket and it felt great.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:40 AM

21,902 posts, read 20,899,510 times
Here in NC some days are very much like spring and then wham..it's really cold again. This week is suppose to warm up and I've been seeing all kinds of buds on my trees and bushes. It must be very close because I've been out planting my roses and they have all kinds of leaves coming out. I still worry though as the nights are below freezing so I cover them. Yeah, I think spring is just about here!!

Old 02-28-2008, 07:22 AM

31,166 posts, read 57,302,589 times
The daffodils and tulips in the garden are starting to come up. The Tete-a-Tete daffodils should be blooming within a couple of weeks. Hooray!

Old 02-28-2008, 08:17 AM

14,174 posts, read 22,500,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
Here in Cincinnati - not warmer yet!! Unfortunately we're about 10 -15 degrees below normal. We should be in the '40's.. this weekend its supposed to creep up - I can't wait!

Saw the first sad/lonely Robin in JANUARY!! He looked confused! Now I see them all over (but there's snow and ice on the ground - so they're still confused!). Plus I hear many more bird calls everywhere.

No flowers here, as I'm in a rental.. but the house we're building will be done in 1 month and I've already got bulbs I'm itching to put in the ground!

Enjoy the Hellebore (Sp?) -- the lenten rose -- I had several in Michigan and they are just beautiful. I left the old growth (dead and dying) until it began to bloom, as I figured it helped to insulate it. then I cut the old stalks back to let the blooms and the new growth shine.

Can't Wait for SPRING!!
Yes, that's what I have! I just spotted it all alone at the nursery last year and read the tag that claimed it bloomed durning Lent. I forgot what color it was, so I'll be surprised soon. It's on the north side of my house where it gets no sun all winter, but it doesn't seem to care. Every day the new sprouts look bigger.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:03 PM

12,084 posts, read 33,141,404 times
No sign here yet, but once the snowbanks melt away from the house a bit there is a little patch of daffodils that make the first splash of color in the Spring. Seeing how there is 4' of snow still covering them, we have another 6 weeks anyway before anything starts to bud out here.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:30 AM

57 posts, read 292,761 times
The daffs have been blooming here for nearly 3 weeks, some of my azaleas have already bloomed and the others are getting ready to. The hydrangeas have budded out. Iris' and tulips are up but they never really do well here in my yard so I'll be lucky to see a bloom from them. I guess most things are already popped out of the ground around here.
It is great to see things coming out

Old 03-01-2008, 06:22 AM

13,155 posts, read 16,876,580 times
I'm in NC, and there's one lone daffodil that's been blooming for a week. We have shrubs that have started to bloom all over town, and many trees are breaking out in blooms. I can even see the dormat grass coming to life. As another poster said, there are still temperature dips down to the freezing mark, but the days are getting warmer. Around here, around mid April is the last freeze.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:34 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,158,807 times
I'm in northeast Florida and the azaleas have begun blooming--also the redbuds.
Yesterday I saw my first red-winged blackbird of the season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden